Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,024 times

Advertisements

I need help. My father recently passed away and we found out he never was officially adopted by my grandparents. He has no official birth certificate either. We have no idea where my dad came from or what nationality I truly am. Can someone point me to a source I can find to put this all to closure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 08:42 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
You need to give more details for others to try and help point you in the right direction. A state. A year your Father was born. Where your Grandparents lived, or what you know of where they grew up. Something else to go on.

How did you find out he was never "officially" adopted?

There are some wonderful people on these forums who give of their time to help others, but with nothing much to go on, it's hard to guide a person without knowing what resources you have available.

Without knowing anything else, I would tell you to go to your local library and start searching on the Ancestry.com website to see what you can find. It's free to go on at your library. Some libraries have Heritage Quest, and Fold3. Google is your friend as well.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2016, 08:58 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Did he happen to serve in the military? Did he belong to a church as a young man? Did he attend elementary school in this country?

Old 07-17-2016, 11:28 PM

671 posts, read 854,427 times
Believe it or not, there are detectives who specialize in this. If you have enough money, someone will be able to find it for you.

If you have more information, we (in this forum) can help you look on the internet and give you suggestions on where to get ideas. Tell us what you know about him. The poster right above me had excellent questions that can start you on this path.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:59 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
There are records out there that can give you clues.

Did he grow up in the U.S.? If so, what state?

What year was he born (at least approximately?)

Do you have a copy of his marriage record?

Did he serve in the U.S. military?

If born overseas, did he naturalize?

Can you give us a little more info so we can try to give you more suggestions?

What was his name?

Names of your grandparents?

Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,024 times
My dads name was Peter neri and his adoptive parents were peter aND enis neri..he was supposedly born in Camden nj on April 8 1952...the story I was told is that a dr who just gave babies to couples who could not have them worked there. He would call the expecting parents and he would deliver the bloody baby to my grandparents. I was told he was never officially adopted because back then they believed that once he was baptized in the church that was his birth certificate. The name of the church was queen of heaven in cherry hillnj. My dad never served in the army. My father has passed and so have his adopted parents. When my dad went to get his license renewed he went to the city of camden and they told him there were no records of his birth.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:40 PM

You need to go see the church archivist and look for any church records for your father and his adoptive parents.

And if the story of the doctor and the babies is true, there will be other adopted babies in that area.

It is possible his birth mother is still living.

You may wish to do a DNA test with ancestry to see if any cousins match that are not part of your mother's line.

Last edited by historyfan; 08-04-2016 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
evnflow,
They sold the church in 2014. Mabey you could try to contact the priest in the newspaper article
online. Ask him if they kept any records, but don't expect to find anything.
DNA is really your only option at this point.
Try it, it works.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
evnflow,
They sold the church in 2014. Mabey you could try to contact the priest in the newspaper article
online. Ask him if they kept any records, but don't expect to find anything.
DNA is really your only option at this point.
Try it, it works.
There will be records from that church in the Dioceses archives. You will need look up the appropriate one.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:11 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
The records for Queen of Heaven should have transferred to the new parish when the two merged.

Better Know A Parish: The Catholic Community of Christ Our Light, Cherry Hill, New Jersey | USCatholic.org

Note that this article states Queen of Heaven was founded in 1965. Another article mentions 1955:

"In 1955, Most Reverend Bartholomew J. Eustace, the first Bishop of Camden, designated Erlton, which neighbors Deer Park, to become a parish of its own. This parish is now known as Queen of Heaven Church. The Reverend Anthony A. Kurylo was named as the first pastor of Queen of Heaven Church in Erlton. Prior to this assignment, he was an assistant at Christ the King Church in Haddonfield. Father Kurylo, although busy with the prospect of building a new church for the Erlton area, never lost sight of the importance of the Mission Church of Saint Mary. Under his guidance, the church in Deer Park continued to prosper." The Catholic Church of St. Mary - Parish History

It is likely the building was completed around 1965. Nevertheless, this is well after the birth of OP's father.

Perhaps the record is at St Mary's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy