Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:11 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
If your father has a substantial NA ancestry any of those tests will show "Asian/Native American". The racial category is broad enough to catch that even if it can't specifically identify North American Indian tribes. I'd go with Ancestry.com.
I agree, I am 20% Native American and it shows up in all the test I have done: FTDNA, Ancestry.Com, Wegene, Gedmatch, Promethease, etc.
I also did the Y-DNA and MtDNA at 23andMe, and it shows my Y-DNA as Irish and my MtDNA as Native American. (C1)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, here's an added question. I'm waiting for my 23andme results (and opted for their test because of the health reports). I'm curious about relatives as my biological father was a sperm donor. Do all the gene-testing firms share that data or do I need to get a test with each firm if i want to see if there are any bio relatives out there?
All the companies will match you with relatives who have tested with their company. So at 23andMe you will get a match list of people with have tested with 23andMe. They do not share a tester database so if you want to see all your matches from Ancestry.com and FTDNA, you will have to buy a test with each of those companies. You can upload your raw data to Gedmatch.com for free, and that will match you with people from other companies, but only with those who have uploaded to Gedmatch.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
If your father has a substantial NA ancestry any of those tests will show "Asian/Native American". The racial category is broad enough to catch that even if it can't specifically identify North American Indian tribes. I'd go with Ancestry.com.
Yes, if it's a substantial NA ancestry, it is likely at least some of it will match their sample group, but to me it sounded like it's not. "We've been told..." sounds more like either a myth or a distant ancestor, which may not show up.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:28 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
All the companies will match you with relatives who have tested with their company. So at 23andMe you will get a match list of people with have tested with 23andMe. They do not share a tester database so if you want to see all your matches from Ancestry.com and FTDNA, you will have to buy a test with each of those companies. You can upload your raw data to Gedmatch.com for free, and that will match you with people from other companies, but only with those who have uploaded to Gedmatch.
Thanks - that sounds like a real PITA. Sigh.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:19 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
One thing I like about Ancestry.com's DNA report is that it is easy to understand. They don't deal with ancient halpogroups but with where your ancestors most likely lived during the past 1,000 years or so. I had a cousin that got another DNA test did and they couldn't even understand the results. My results were very easy to understand. Understand that it's all about probability whether than a scientific determination of exactly where each of your ancestors lived. My DNA test confirmed what I found on the paper trail: I'm mostly of British origin with some Western European.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
One thing I like about Ancestry.com's DNA report is that it is easy to understand. They don't deal with ancient halpogroups but with where your ancestors most likely lived during the past 1,000 years or so. I had a cousin that got another DNA test did and they couldn't even understand the results. My results were very easy to understand. Understand that it's all about probability whether than a scientific determination of exactly where each of your ancestors lived. My DNA test confirmed what I found on the paper trail: I'm mostly of British origin with some Western European.
That's not really exclusive to Ancestry.com though - haplogroups aren't a part of autosomal DNA. Only 23andMe run some y/mtdna markers to get a basic haplogroup but they don't give you much info about the haplogroup. It's primarily an autosomal DNA test and all the autosomal DNA info is similar to what you would get at Ancestry.com. And FTDNA don't provide haplogroups on autosomal DNA either. It sounds like your friend took the Y or mtDNA test, and yes, those results seem more complex, but that's the nature of the test, not a difference between the companies. I have tested with all three companies, they all make the autosomal DNA results easy to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy