Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

We have a thread in Psychology where you can post your "1st world problem" of the day, to vent about it, laugh about it, and then move on because it can't be solved.

I want this to be a similar thread for us Genealogy folks.

You know, those little annoyances that most genealogy people will understand, but about which you can't vent to others in your life, because they have no clue. Also recognize that these are by definition "first world problems" so please don't jump in and tell a poster they should not be so upset because there are bigger issues in the world; we know that. Also, please don't try to solve a person's problem unless he/she specifically asks. The purpose of venting is just to get it out and have a few other people say "I hate that too!!!" not to solve anything.

My vent from yesterday would have been:

Agh! That damned 1890 census plagues me again! Once again I am in need of a piece of info that would have been in that census, and probably nowhere else.

My vent for today is:

I have a DNA-cousin match (high confidence) who e-mails me all the time, determined that I figure out how we are related. But his tree is so messed up--He has women in there with their married name instead of maiden name (sometimes even the last name of their second husband) and today he just told me that one of his grandparents was actually unofficially "adopted" and all the generations he has in his tree before that grandparent (back to the early 1700s) are in this adopted family and therefore not related to me (or him) at all. So the months of trying to connect any of those names in that long line to any of my ancestor names were just wasted time. He's like "Oh yeah, Grandpop was unofficially adopted by the XYZ family. Does that matter? But we have to find out how we're related!"

Ugh. I understand choosing to trace the roots of an adopted family (a la "emotional DNA"), but then you should not be so obsessed with DNA matches. And you should put notes in the tree stating that the person was adopted. Even a few months ago, he was sending me lots of info on this adopted line, when they resided in my part of the country, convinced that our connection was in there somewhere. But he FORGOT his Grandpop was adopted????

Anyway, please vent away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I'm not really venting. I find this humorous. In doing research, I'm finding a lot of 'not so politically correct' information. And the relatives have asked me to share so I do... including photos, new stories, documents, etc. Recently, we've had discussions on incest, slaves, outlaws, prison, and a Playboy Centerfold who isn't wearing any clothes. My ancestors were an interesting bunch. I know there most have been some everyday, normal people in there. The descriptions 'farmer' and 'wife' from the census records simply does not convey the personality of these people.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:09 PM

416 posts, read 587,944 times
My piddly little vent is the difficulty in retraining my brain doing genealogy connections and citations the DAR way for applications.

(vent brought to you by a lineage research committee newbie )

Old 08-24-2016, 01:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I was on a Vermont Historical website today. Looked for census records in one particular town from 1890. It was noted that half of the records had been burned when the basement of the town hall caught fire and the records were destroyed.

So, 13 years later the council members took a vote and decided to burn the other half of the records ! What the heck. May as well make it all unusable. LOL

Old 08-24-2016, 01:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I wish my wife's close cousins that showed up on her Ancestry.com DNA test would reply to our messages. One descends from her grandpa's lost sibling. Another of them appears to have a grandparent with a different parent than they thought, shared matches make it clear which line they share.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
AncestryDNA members who link their results to a private tree, then never bother responding to information requests from others. These folks (and there are a hail of a lot of 'em) are more than happy to rummage thru their cousins' public trees to pluck information, but have no interest whatsoever in sharing what they may know. IMO, they shouldn't be able to see matches unless they link to a public tree. AND YES I'M VENTING!!! AND YES, IT P***'S ME OFF WHEN THEY DO THAT!! NOW SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE BY STARTING THIS THREAD!!! WHERE ARE MY $%**@# NITRO PILLS!!!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:40 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
AncestryDNA members who link their results to a private tree, then never bother responding to information requests from others. These folks (and there are a hail of a lot of 'em) are more than happy to rummage thru their cousins' public trees to pluck information, but have no interest whatsoever in sharing what they may know. IMO, they shouldn't be able to see matches unless they link to a public tree. AND YES I'M VENTING!!! AND YES, IT P***'S ME OFF WHEN THEY DO THAT!! NOW SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE BY STARTING THIS THREAD!!! WHERE ARE MY $%**@# NITRO PILLS!!!
Now that's what I talkin' about!!!!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:08 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
I'm wishing that some of my ancestors had been a little more creative with naming their kids. It's kinda hard to decipher who's who (within families and compared to other families) with all of the recycling of Eliza, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary, Margaret, William, James, John. And when the surname itself is common (Jackson, Edwards, etc.), the frustration mounts.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Calling people that aren't related aunt, uncle, cousin.

Calling people something they are not. Your 1st cousin once removed is not your aunt and I don't care what they call them in your family.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Way back in the late 1990's geneology was really interesting to me. But if I had a dime for every time a person asks what can they "get" because their gggrandmother was Indian.
Stop! Please, stop!

Or worse, my gggrandmother was a Cherokee princess. Stop! Please! For the love of gawd!!

Got any more of those nitro pills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy