Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,793,276 times

Advertisements

I know a first cousin and a first cousin once removed quite well. The others, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,292,931 times
When I was a kid we frequently saw them at big family reunions, but those stopped occurring long ago as the elder family members began passing away.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:36 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Some time ago I started a reunion group on Facebook. There are currently 69 members, all related or married to relatives. I have met probably 2/3 of them personally, the rest I only know from Facebook. As for the "once removed" terminology, that is a way of tracking generations. Your mother's first cousin is your first cousin once removed. Here's a picture.

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/up...lationship.pdf
Thanks Larry for posting the link... really appreciate it!

I know more of the family than just about anyone... and live the farthest away.

Mom came from a large farming family and was the only one to move far away to California...

What I find most interesting is I know the family relationships going way back better than all of those that still live within a 25 mile radius of the original farm community.... the farm has been in the family for hundreds of years...

Being in California I still host relatives and shirt tail relatives that make their way for a visit...

Some that I keep in touch with are related through our Great Grandparents... and recently hosted the niece of Mom's niece and her friend on their California visit...

My nieces met their "Cousins" through their Great Great grandparents and had a ball... all were under 10...

I've also looked up "Cousins" with the same name over seas and we go back to the 1700's... a time when one brother stayed and one went to America...

I find it fascinating but sure it will all pass with me as not really much interest.

That said... I probably have attended more weddings simply by being in touch!

Old 10-23-2016, 10:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
No, I do not

Old 11-04-2016, 07:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
My family is very close. I know a lot of my 4th and 5th cousins and know all of my 1st and 2nd cousins and their children in our area.

We don't do a lot of family reunions, but we used to get together on my mom's side especially every holiday at my great grandparents house. My 2nd great grandmother didn't pass away until I was a teenager, so I knew her, all her children (the siblings of my great grandmother), and all of their children, their children, and now I know the next generation on this side of my family.

My dad's family is smaller and his maternal line moved out of our area when I was a child. But I do speak to them via social media and on the phone and I know my 3rd and 4th cousins this way from that line. Dad's paternal cousins, I didn't know as a child, but I've reconnected with them as an adult. They are my paternal great grandfather's cousins and their children. I haven't even worked out which cousins of mine they are lol. I'd have to think about it. We see each other at least every couple of weeks now. One of my great grandfather's first cousins is 100 years old and is still alive and I know her and her children, and grandchildren, and great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren

Old 11-04-2016, 10:01 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
No, I do not. I have no idea how many there are, nor do I know where they are.
Actually, that goes for first cousins as well. I haven't seen any of them for many years.
I have grandchildren and great grand children that live in other states, somewhere.
I guess it could be said that I am just not close to any of my family beyond children.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:13 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
I don't know my first cousins; have not seen any of them since I was a young kid unless at a funeral, then I would not recognize them.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
My 2nd and 3rd cousins are mostly within my age group so I actually grew up with them. I don't consider 3rd cousin distant. My closest cousin to me, is a 3rd cousin.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:36 PM

385 posts, read 440,240 times
On my dad's side? Oh yeah. We know several generations of cousins. I have a few 4th cousins still alive. We live a long time and we stayed in the Arklatex (or we return there for reunions) so I have a bunch of elderly cousins still living in and around the old family farm.

On my mom's side? Most of the people died young (<55) so I only know 2nd cousins.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:24 PM

672 posts, read 502,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I know a handful of my 2nd cousins(mom or dad's cousins children), although there are a lot I haven't met before. I'm not particular close with any of them, although I am friends on facebook with a few. Same goes for their parents (my parents cousins aka my cousins once removed).

I think I may have met a few 3rd cousins (Grandparents cousins grandchildren) at a family reunion but would never be able to pick them out in a crowd.

That's about as distant as it gets for me. How about you? I think it would be interesting to see if anybody keeps in touch with their distant cousins.
Since when were Second Cousins Distant Cousins? They are not Distant.

I know a lot of my Second Cousins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy