Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 07:23 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

So I did 23andMe and then uploaded my results on GEDmatch. I got an email from a guy who seems to be a second or third cousin. Is there any way to tell if we're related through my mother or my biological father? (Bio dad was literally a sperm donor, so we know NOTHING about him, or at least next to nothing.)

The family history he gives indicates that his family came over at least a couple hundred years ago, but as far as I know, my mother's family only arrived in this country about 100 years ago. That makes me suspect that we're related through my bio dad. The really funny part is that one of the last names he gives as being in his family background is my non-bio dad's last name. It would be funny if Pop and I were actually relatives by blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So I did 23andMe and then uploaded my results on GEDmatch. I got an email from a guy who seems to be a second or third cousin. Is there any way to tell if we're related through my mother or my biological father? (Bio dad was literally a sperm donor, so we know NOTHING about him, or at least next to nothing.)
Without testing your mother (or bio father), it's not really possible to tell whether the person is a match on your mother or father's side.

The exception is if you are male, and you share X-DNA, then you share an ancestry on your mother's side. But the absence of shared X-DNA does not necessarily mean the match is on your father's side. If you are female, then shared X-DNA can be from either side. Since the match is male, if you share X-DNA then that at least narrows it down to HIS maternal side (though that's assuming it's not possible you share ancestry on both sides, which is actually more common than you might think).

These charts show X-DNA inheritance for males and females...

Male:

Female:

Quote:
The family history he gives indicates that his family came over at least a couple hundred years ago, but as far as I know, my mother's family only arrived in this country about 100 years ago. That makes me suspect that we're related through my bio dad. The really funny part is that one of the last names he gives as being in his family background is my non-bio dad's last name. It would be funny if Pop and I were actually relatives by blood.
That's not impossible, but shared surnames doesn't necessarily mean you are related by that surname. Unless it's an extremely rare name, it's more likely to be just a coincidence.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:35 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Without testing your mother (or bio father), it's not really possible to tell whether the person is a match on your mother or father's side.

The exception is if you are male, and you share X-DNA, then you share an ancestry on your mother's side. But the absence of shared X-DNA does not necessarily mean the match is on your father's side. If you are female, then shared X-DNA can be from either side. Since the match is male, if you share X-DNA then that at least narrows it down to HIS maternal side (though that's assuming it's not possible you share ancestry on both sides, which is actually more common than you might think).

These charts show X-DNA inheritance for males and females...

Male:

Female:

That's not impossible, but shared surnames doesn't necessarily mean you are related by that surname. Unless it's an extremely rare name, it's more likely to be just a coincidence.
Thank you - this was hugely helpful. GEDmatch is really hard for me to decipher.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:02 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
but does 23 and me seperate each side by x and y. the only way i could think of, is you actually had a y test done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy