Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:13 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Thanks for the blogsplaining but as I am more than passing familiar with genetics due to my science degrees I am still confident that I am not wrong. What the person I quoted stated that I said was untrue that they got more than 50% of their DNA from their father. That is not true. Your moving the goal posts to grandparents does not disprove my point about his parents.
The poster you quoted stated that more than 50% of the tested DNA was maternal, not paternal.

Here's what the genetic genealogy experts have to say.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

Note that due to the effect of the Y chromosome a father/son pair share about 47.54% of their DNA, because they do not share any X chromosome DNA at all.

The measured percentages can be influenced by a number of things, including the possibility that parents share fairly recent ancestors, which happens more often than you might expect, and differ slightly from the theoretical percentages. Measured parent/child percentages will approximate 50% but may not be precisely 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 04:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The poster you quoted stated that more than 50% of the tested DNA was maternal, not paternal.

Here's what the genetic genealogy experts have to say.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

Note that due to the effect of the Y chromosome a father/son pair share about 47.54% of their DNA, because they do not share any X chromosome DNA at all.

The measured percentages can be influenced by a number of things, including the possibility that parents share fairly recent ancestors, which happens more often than you might expect, and differ slightly from the theoretical percentages. Measured parent/child percentages will approximate 50% but may not be precisely 50%.
Again the issue of the Y chromosome having less genetic material than the X would only be relevant if they sequenced the entire genome, which is not happening in those spit in a tube DNA tests. In fact the sex chromosomes are not even part of the autosomal percentages as they are by definition allosomal. Ancestry DNA, 23 and me, etc. look at autosomal for those percentages, if any y-DNA is included for men, it is not included in the ancestry percentages.

And your last part is literally what I said. That a percentage of over 50% likely means you parents share some ancestry they may not know about.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:55 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Again the issue of the Y chromosome having less genetic material than the X would only be relevant if they sequenced the entire genome, which is not happening in those spit in a tube DNA tests. In fact the sex chromosomes are not even part of the autosomal percentages as they are by definition allosomal. Ancestry DNA, 23 and me, etc. look at autosomal for those percentages, if any y-DNA is included for men, it is not included in the ancestry percentages.

And your last part is literally what I said. That a percentage of over 50% likely means you parents share some ancestry they may not know about.
Where did you extract this from?

Old 08-31-2017, 06:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Where did you extract this from?
From a graduate degree in biology.

For example, if someones is mixed race, say dad is Asian and mom is Caucasian. It is possible that the child who runs one of the spit in genetic "ethnicity" tests would come back say 60% Asian. That does not mean they got 60% of their DNA from dad, it means that their caucasian parent likely has a asian haplotype that the test is reading.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:07 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Unless you got testing to give you exact percentages, it is socially correct(and respectful to your ancestors) to refer to yourself as a quarter of each.
There is a very slim chance that you would be exactly 25% each, and there is a possibility you could be on 2 of the ethnicities.
More likely the mix would be a mash up: 45%, 15%, 8%, 32%, While a sibling could be 12%, 63%, 10%, 15% which would explain why the two of you look like different backgrounds.

This is true. I did a DNA test with ancestry.com in 2016. It told me I was 1% Native American. Last fall they "updated" the results. But it only brought my Native up to 2%.

My grandma hasn't done the test, but she always claimed to have Native in here, and it shows. For comparison here's (from left to right) my brother, grandma and I.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy