Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times

Advertisements

My results should be done soon, I went with Ancestry.com. I was curious if anyone else on here has done such a test and what your results were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 05:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Yes, I've had it done. The test indicated that I am 100% European, which was not surprising given what I know about my family's history and what I see in the mirror every morning. Still, interesting to see my genealogical research supported.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:02 AM

Just got my results in.

66% Great Britain
21% Europe West
6% Irish
4% Europe East
1% Scandinavian / Finland / Iberian

I'm basically fish and chips with a side order of sauerkraut lol. My understanding is Great Britain means the pre Roman inhabitants of Britain, rather than Anglo Saxon (which would show up as Europe West). So I'm 71% Celtic.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,200 times
Yes, I did Ancestry's DNA test. It is too vague. My results are 92% East Asian and 8% Polynesian. I think they do not have as many samples from people of East Asian background to give more detailed results.

As a matter of background, I am Taiwanese-American (U.S. Born). My parents are from Taiwan. My ancestors (at least from my father's side of the family) moved to Taiwan from Fujian Province, China (in Southeastern China) about 8-9 generations ago. Thus, I am primarily Southern Han Chinese ancestry mixed with some Western Taiwanese Plains aborigines. Southern Han Chinese are themselves descendant of mix of Han Chinese males from the Central Plains of China (Sino-Tibetian people) who migrated to Southern China and intermarried with the non-Han aboriginal groups of Southern/Southeastern China (Miao and Daic peoples). Then some of my male ancestors who moved to Taiwan intermarried with some Plains Taiwanese people (who were native to the Western Plains of Taiwan and distinct from the Taiwanese aborigines in the mountains and East Coast of Taiwan). The Western Plains Aborigines of Taiwan moved to Taiwan during the Neolithic period from what is now Guangxi Province in Southern China and Hainan Island, China long before these became "Han Chinese" and share common ancestry with proto-Daic people. These are all based on scholarly historic and genetic sources I have read.

I have taken also DNA tests with 23andMe where the results are more detailed than Ancestry's. I have transferred the data to WeGene and DNA.Land and gotten more detailed results than Ancestry. They breaksdown the "East Asian" results into further detail.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:03 AM

I didn't realize that on the Ancestry.com test if you click on every group you had 0% you'll find noise in some. If the top range fell below 2.5% Ancestry assigns it 0 rather than 1. I had noise for Italy / Greece, European Jewish, North Africa, and Middle East. I've noticed that many of my 3rd cousins had enough of those groups to have 1% trace regions. My wife had 0% with noise for Africa South Central Hunter Gatherers and many of her close cousins had that as a trace region. She has a GG grandmother who looked mulatto in a family photo. If she was 30% African that would amount to under 1% for my wife.

Re East Asia... I can look at someone and tell if they're from China or Indonesia, hard to believe that the test can tell an Irish Celt from a Welsh Celt but not distinguish amongst the East Asia groups.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:52 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Yes, I did one last year, when it was first available in the UK. Here are my results (lol, it's like getting exam results):

56% Great Britain
39% Ireland
1% Asia Central

Then trace results of:

<1% European Jewish
<1% Italy/Greece
<1% Europe West
<1% Europe East
<1% Scandinavia
<1% West Asia Caucasus

I wish they were able to split up the regions of Great Britain, as I would have liked to see what percentage Welsh and English I am. But then again, they can't even separate the countries in West and East Europe or between Italy and Greece!

Last edited by Star10101; 06-19-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 04:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, I did one last year, when it was first available in the UK. Here are my results (lol, it's like getting exam results):

56% Great Britain
39% Ireland
1% Asia Central

Then trace results of:

<1% European Jewish
<1% Italy/Greece
<1% Europe West
<1% Europe East
<1% Scandinavia
<1% West Asia Caucasus

I wish they were able to split up the regions of Great Britain, as I would have liked to see what percentage Welsh and English I am. But then again, they can't even separate the countries in West and East Europe or between Italy and Greece!
Try Oxford Ancestors.

Oxford Ancestors Ltd - Home

The give you your ancestral maternal or paternal clan, depending on which test you do.

Quote:
You will recognise an entry from OGAP by the acronym in the "Country" column of your search results. Britain was divided into geographical regions which appear under the DKPA (Deepest Known Paternal Ancestor) or DKMA (Deepest Known Maternal Ancestor) columns depending on which of the databases you are searching. Assigned maternal clans are the same throughout the database but paternal clan assignments differ due to the earlier numerical classification system in use at the time the OGAP samples were analysed. These are approximately equivalent to the current system as follows: 1 = Oisin (R1b), 2 = Wodan (I), 3 = Sigurd (R1a), 9 = Re (J) and 21 = Eshu (E).
As a J2, I'm in Clan #9 the Re Clan.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I didn't realize that on the Ancestry.com test if you click on every group you had 0% you'll find noise in some. If the top range fell below 2.5% Ancestry assigns it 0 rather than 1. I had noise for Italy / Greece, European Jewish, North Africa, and Middle East. I've noticed that many of my 3rd cousins had enough of those groups to have 1% trace regions. My wife had 0% with noise for Africa South Central Hunter Gatherers and many of her close cousins had that as a trace region. She has a GG grandmother who looked mulatto in a family photo. If she was 30% African that would amount to under 1% for my wife.

Re East Asia... I can look at someone and tell if they're from China or Indonesia, hard to believe that the test can tell an Irish Celt from a Welsh Celt but not distinguish amongst the East Asia groups.
One disappointing thing about the DNA tests is that they show what's most prominent in your "inheritance", but they don't give a conclusive result (or even a very clear one in some cases). They never really rule anything out. And that's partly because they use databases based on samples that they've already got, and those tend to be from western European descendants. If they had more samples from other regions, perhaps they'd identify more "noise" more precisely. They certainly don't identify everything that's hiding back in your family tree.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Just got my results in.

66% Great Britain
21% Europe West
6% Irish
4% Europe East
1% Scandinavian / Finland / Iberian

I'm basically fish and chips with a side order of sauerkraut lol. My understanding is Great Britain means the pre Roman inhabitants of Britain, rather than Anglo Saxon (which would show up as Europe West). So I'm 71% Celtic.
Not necessarily. The only thing the categories really mean is that an average of 66% of your DNA is most similar to Ancestry.com's sample groups from Great Britain. It does not necessarily have any indication of Celtic vs Anglo-Saxon.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:41 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,105 times
I did the same test about nine months ago. I was contacted by a second cousin, once-removed who found me through my family tree on Ancestry.com. Her paternal grandfather's mother (her great-grandmother) was my maternal grandmother's paternal grandmother (my great-great-grandmother). We became friends over the last few years and she and her sister both did the AncestryDNA test. Her concern/frustration was that neither of their results showed Native American ancestry.

We (I) know for certain that our common ancestor (described above) was half Cherokee Indian and we both have documentation to support that. In addition to that documentation, my great-grandmother and grandmother shared a strong Native American appearance (high cheek bones, skin coloring, lack of body hair, jet black hair that didn't gray until age 75+). Based on simple math, she (my cousin-friend) is 6.25% Native American and I am 3.125% from our common ancestor. Both fall within the margin of error for the AncestryDNA test.

I was pleasantly surprised by my results. I had been told that I also had a Native American ancestor on my maternal grandmother's father's side of the family, but haven't found any reliable evidence to prove it. My AncestryDNA test showed that I am 8% Native American, so it's highly likely that I have more than one unknown Native American ancestor.

Most of the report was what I already knew and/or expected, although the percentage was higher in one area than I expected. I also had one interesting surprise.

Here was my breakdown- (by county/region)
Ireland- 40% (didn't realize that I was predominantly Irish)
Great Britain- 21% (expected higher percentage here and lower for Ireland, not that I care)
Scandanavia- 12% (this was my BIG surprise, and a very exciting one...more on that below)
Europe West- 11%
Native American- 8%
Italy/Greece- 4%
Europe East- 2%
Other trace- 2%

As I noted above, my surname is Welsh, so any Welsh ancestry could be included in Great Britain, Europe West or possibly Ireland. I have traced at least one line of my paternal grandfather's mother's family to Germany, which is likely included in Europe West. I suppose I expected a higher percentage for Great Britain, based on the surnames of my grandparents- Brookshire/Brookshaw, Davis and Bailey (although Bailey can also be Irish). The Irish names Kelley (Kelly), Hall, Callahan, Flanagan and O'Harigan are also in my family tree, so the high Ireland percentage really shouldn't have surprised me.

The 12% from Scandanavia is very interesting and, prior to the test, unknown. I have a great-great-grandmother whose maiden name was Anderson, which is Swedish. But apparently I have at least one more ancestor from the region. This also helps to explain why, even in my late 20s, I have wanted a Volvo....not a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes-Benz...but a Volvo! =) I'm 41 and still don't have one, but I think it would be an affront to my family heritage if my next car isn't a Volvo! It also explains why I enjoy the IKEA catalog so much! =)

I'm glad that I had my DNA tested, although it took two tests to get a result. The first test sample (or saliva) was insufficient or contaminated. Not to be gross, but it's not easy to fill a test tube with saliva, especially when you take medication that causes slight dry mouth. But they sent a second kit for no additional charge. For $99, I didn't think it was overpriced nor was it an exceptional deal.....but I feel like got at least $99 worth of information from the test.

I'm planning to do another DNA test/analysis in the somewhat-near-future, but I'm not sure which test it will be. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the AncestryDNA results, but I don't want to spend more than $125-$150 (at most).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy