Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:14 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times

Advertisements

They want a gift membership before you get your discount.

Give your family, family.
And SAVE 10%
With an Ancestry Gift Membership, they can build a family tree, discover the details of their ancestors' lives, and celebrate their family story over the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:10 PM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
This has been so helpful, thank you so much everyone.

So it looks like I will start with ancestry, and if that isn't enough, I will add the others some day it sounds like this will be enough to start.

I actually found a third half cousin (I think that is right) just by doing a google search of my great great grandfather.
He had the family tree on his website/ blog, and he was 100% interested in sharing. His mother was the second wife of my gg grandfather.
Actually he was the one to straighten out my first mistake, which was to think that my grandfather, and great grandfather were one. They had the same first name, and I didn't know that to start. I had been going in circles thinking it was a mistake.

I had forgotten that his first wife (my gg grandmother) had died, and he was married a second time, and in fact I had so much information that I haven't even started to add siblings.

This cousin might never have shown up on my tree, and unless I start adding people like step parents, I won't have a clue. I can already tell that many of my ancestors were married numerous times, so there are a lot of "half" siblings there. It is a lot of work to try to figure out which line I come from.
And I haven't even thought of those who might be illegitimate, that extra info might cause my head to explode
So, i expect the dna will with make it more complicated, or easier. Or maybe both, or neither. I will try it and see.
Btw, will I have to start paying ancestry dues again to check the DNA information? I cancelled it since I was too busy to work on it. I had been focusing on wikitree you make sure the information on ancestry jived. I do want to go on again, but was just putting that cost off for awhile.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,670 times
I would love to get this but I'm Australian.
Thanks for the help anyway.
In Australia there is no Black Friday and the major sales are on Boxing Day (the day after Xmas) so maybe ancestry.com.au will have a sale.Do Americans have Boxing Day sales.

Can someone tell me if you sign up for membership to Ancestry (non DNA) do you get complete access to public trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you use the code FREESHIPDNA you get free shipping, which is basically the same as the 10% off. I believe you can't use the free shipping code when it's on sale so since shipping is $9.95, you either pay $89 + $9.95 = $98.95, or you pay $99 without shipping.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:45 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Are the tests costly?
They generally are in the $100 range, but the companies are always having sales. Ancestry, for instance, regularly has sales where the kits cost between $79.99 and $89.99, and even has a few sales a year where the kits are $69.99.

In terms of the "best" DNA tests, I've only tested with DNAbyAncestry (I feel that they deceptively marketed themselves to make customers think they were Ancestry.com's DNA service) and AncestryDNA (Ancestry.com). While I've heard some good things about 23andme, I've been very happy with AncestryDNA. I especially like that you're able to link your AncestryDNA results to your Ancestry family tree, which means even more given the wide number of family trees on Ancestry.com. Plus Ancestry has a pretty solid DNA database, which increases the chances of getting DNA matches.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:47 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
This has been so helpful, thank you so much everyone.

So it looks like I will start with ancestry, and if that isn't enough, I will add the others some day it sounds like this will be enough to start.

I actually found a third half cousin (I think that is right) just by doing a google search of my great great grandfather.
He had the family tree on his website/ blog, and he was 100% interested in sharing. His mother was the second wife of my gg grandfather.
Actually he was the one to straighten out my first mistake, which was to think that my grandfather, and great grandfather were one. They had the same first name, and I didn't know that to start. I had been going in circles thinking it was a mistake.

I had forgotten that his first wife (my gg grandmother) had died, and he was married a second time, and in fact I had so much information that I haven't even started to add siblings.

This cousin might never have shown up on my tree, and unless I start adding people like step parents, I won't have a clue. I can already tell that many of my ancestors were married numerous times, so there are a lot of "half" siblings there. It is a lot of work to try to figure out which line I come from.
And I haven't even thought of those who might be illegitimate, that extra info might cause my head to explode
So, i expect the dna will with make it more complicated, or easier. Or maybe both, or neither. I will try it and see.
Btw, will I have to start paying ancestry dues again to check the DNA information? I cancelled it since I was too busy to work on it. I had been focusing on wikitree you make sure the information on ancestry jived. I do want to go on again, but was just putting that cost off for awhile.
No. You can access DNA updates/profiles without having an "active" account. However, you won't be able to access any family trees linked to the DNA results unless you're invited to view the trees or you're a paying member.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No. You can access DNA updates/profiles without having an "active" account. However, you won't be able to access any family trees linked to the DNA results unless you're invited to view the trees or you're a paying member.
You'll be able to view a 7 generation pedigree of their tree, but not the full tree without an invite, if you don't have a subscription.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:56 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I paid a lot six years ago,they're very cheap now in the $100 mark.
they're great for the information you get,it was a great purchase for me.
Quote:
I would love to get this but I'm Australian.
Thanks for the help anyway.
In Australia there is no Black Friday and the major sales are on Boxing Day (the day after Xmas) so maybe ancestry.com.au will have a sale.Do Americans have Boxing Day sales.

Can someone tell me if you sign up for membership to Ancestry (non DNA) do you get complete access to public trees.
So, Katiethegreat, do you think Ancestry.com.au is the best for Aussies? I'm hoping to find relatives of some sort (although I'm not expecting to locate close ones, perhaps 4th or 5th). I'm adopted and am in contact with my bfamily (who have a very comprehensive family tree) but sadly my bmother died quite young and thus I have no idea who my bfather is (although I have non-ID information about him). Before anyone says anything A, I am actually a bit reluctant to do this test because, to be honest, I wouldn't want to locate a relative too closely related to him too soon even if that is a remote likelihood.

The ethnicity test would also be interesting.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:54 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
My half-sister, myself and my dad have done 23andme tests.

My dad, I just got him the Ancestry-only kit from 23andme which is only $99.

What you get for the extra $100 from 23andme.. I don't feel is worth it. It was about 75% accurate on that stuff for me. The biggest glaring example was that there was a 93% chance I do NOT have red hair according to them. 96% for my sister.. We're both ginger.

23andme's DNA match database is not as big as Ancestry's.. But.. you can always take the results and add them to GEDmatch (which you should do with results from either company) and also you can take the results from either and run them through promethease.com, which costs $5, and gives you just a hellacious amount of health stuff..

Promethease Report

is an example of a promethease report using 23andme data.

Promethease Report is one from Ancestry. Seems 23andme tests alot more as it has 25k vs 10k-ish from Ancestry.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:21 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,670 times
Yes I think it is the best option for Aussie genealogists.
I already have the 23andme.com test and only two of my matches appear to care about family history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
So, Katiethegreat, do you think Ancestry.com.au is the best for Aussies? I'm hoping to find relatives of some sort (although I'm not expecting to locate close ones, perhaps 4th or 5th). I'm adopted and am in contact with my bfamily (who have a very comprehensive family tree) but sadly my bmother died quite young and thus I have no idea who my bfather is (although I have non-ID information about him). Before anyone says anything A, I am actually a bit reluctant to do this test because, to be honest, I wouldn't want to locate a relative too closely related to him too soon even if that is a remote likelihood.

The ethnicity test would also be interesting.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:21 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,561 times
Quote:
Yes I think it is the best option for Aussie genealogists.
I already have the 23andme.com test and only two of my matches appear to care about family history.
Thanks, Katiethegreat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy