Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times

Advertisements

No they were literate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 12:42 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think being in a service profession was a good job back then. My grandfather was an executive of a company, but his brother was a chauffeur, and considered part of the household for which he worked.
My grandmother, who was widowed young by the grandfather above, worked as a housekeeper for several older people, even though she didn't need the money.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:10 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
No they were literate.
Ha, clearly I can't read! If they were from less rural areas it's not surprising they could read. My g-grandmother lived in Sligo and went thru age 14. My g-grandfather from small town in Cork was illiterate, no access to schooling.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 PM

671 posts, read 853,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think being in a service profession was a good job back then. My grandfather was an executive of a company, but his brother was a chauffeur, and considered part of the household for which he worked.
My grandmother, who was widowed young by the grandfather above, worked as a housekeeper for several older people, even though she didn't need the money.
I have to disagree. Being is service was secure and reasonable but someone would not be in service if they didn't need money. Class was very important.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:07 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It was a respectable job that paid the bills, but I don't know if I'd call it a "good" job. Depends what you mean by "good". Live-in servants weren't paid much (comparatively with the people they worked for), it was often very hard work, long hours, and they weren't always treated very well by their employers. A chauffeur probably had it easier than a laundry maid though. There were certainly levels of class even within the household servants. A scullery maid was the lowest rank, and paid the least.

Quote:
It sounds like by housekeeper, you mean your grandmother spent a few hours a day at different houses doing some cleaning? I can see someone doing that to keep themselves busy even if they don't need the money. But that's a more modern use of the word housekeeper and is not the same as a live-in servant who lived with their employers and worked all day, really only breaking for food and sleep. They had to be up before their employers, getting the house and food ready for the day, and they didn't go to bed till after their employers did. That's the kind of servitude this topic is about, where the term housekeeper refers to the highest rank female in charge of supervising the other servants. While supervision was an easier job, I'm doubting that's what your grandmother did if she didn't need the money.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
What would the groundskeeper at Ashford Castle in Ireland be considered? He lived from 1840 to 1920

Old 12-30-2016, 06:14 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What would the groundskeeper at Ashford Castle in Ireland be considered? He lived from 1840 to 1920
You mean what sort of rank would he have among the household servants? It's hard to say because since he worked outdoors and not actually within the house, he wouldn't have really been considered a part of the household staff. The various ranks of household servants existed to maintain order and define roles, but the groundskeepers would have been removed from that because they didn't work with the other staff indoors. If he was the head groundskeeper, that would be an important job though. Reading about the castle on Wikipedia, it sounds like the owner during the period your refer to would have been Lord Ardilaun, who was an avid gardener. So your groundskeeper might have been more important to the Lord than an average groundskeeper elsewhere.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You mean what sort of rank would he have among the household servants? It's hard to say because since he worked outdoors and not actually within the house, he wouldn't have really been considered a part of the household staff. The various ranks of household servants existed to maintain order and define roles, but the groundskeepers would have been removed from that because they didn't work with the other staff indoors. If he was the head groundskeeper, that would be an important job though. Reading about the castle on Wikipedia, it sounds like the owner during the period your refer to would have been Lord Ardilaun, who was an avid gardener. So your groundskeeper might have been more important to the Lord than an average groundskeeper elsewhere.
Thank you. That's what I was asking and wasn't sure if he was part of the household staff or not. I've been so busy trying to get info on him, his wives and children that I hadn't been to wiki to read about the castle. He's my sons great, great, great grandfather

When reading about it I realized I saw a TV show that had the restoration. I'll have to try to find it so that my son can see it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy