Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times

Advertisements

Decodeme is a big genetics company,I don't think they do personal tests anymore.

Yes I have thought it was a past life as it would explain why I would buy Russian music and studied Russian things.
My interest in Russia has finally waned a little bit after twenty nine years so I think whatever lesson I had to learn from that life,or whatever it was all about has waned,still love everything Russian however.

Last edited by Katiethegreat; 12-26-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 06:18 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
yes. Ireland.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:50 PM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
My mother was born in Germany, interestingly enough I was conceived there while my parents were on a trip in 1970. I often long for the old world German style homes and landscapes. Though I have never visited, my heart skips a beat when I see the beautiful old villages. I am the first generation born here in the US on her side. Second on my Dads, his parents were Scandinavian from Sweden, but I don't feel as much of a connection to that part of the world

Old 12-26-2016, 08:39 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Those no longer living in the land of their ancestors do you feel a disconnection to where you are,do you feel a longing for your ancestral homeland and it's traditions?

I was born in Australia and while it's beautiful,lit up all the time and full of opportunity I feel much longing for Britain and Europe where my ancestors lived for thousands of years.Especially being part of its culture and traditions.

I suppose Americans would feel less so as many of their ancestors have been their since the 1600's.
Yes, that's why when we retire we're moving back to PA.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:45 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,929,742 times
I visited southern Russia, my ancestral homeland, at the urging of my family (both American and Russian) about 10 years ago. I didn't suffer from jet lag and actually felt like my body clock was in alignment with the Moscow Standard Time Zone. I had a good time, felt at home, and would've considered staying longer if my father was in good health.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Sort of. I want to go to Inverness, Scotland, the home of my clan.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
I wouldn't mind going to Germany. I have relatives there and would love to go to Nuremberg and visit relatives and look at the family history book or go to Himmelstadt where great grandpa was born or Garmisch and the Black Forest where we also have relatives. That's grandpa's side.Grandma's parents were germans from Riga ,Latvia and i would like to check that out as well as Kiev.Recall daddy saying his father's mother had relatives there. I know Peter the Great and Catherine the Great did bring german settlers to Russia, though my grandmother, (dad's mom) had some cousins the von Lilienschilds who go back in the records of the city of Riga to the 13th or 14th century.
My mom is hungarian,but I don't know much really about them.But I would like to visit Budapest .

Old 12-27-2016, 12:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
You should go to Budapest,I lived there awhile it's my favourite city,it's very alive and creative.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:21 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Curiosity sure, but I wouldn't call it longing.

Of the states and countries I have ancestral ties to that I have been to, I feel no need or real desire to live in those places. Doesn't mean I didn't like them, just I couldn't picture myself living there the rest of my life. Was fun to visit those places though and I still have a few more to get to.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:49 PM

447 posts, read 487,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Those no longer living in the land of their ancestors do you feel a disconnection to where you are,do you feel a longing for your ancestral homeland and it's traditions?

I was born in Australia and while it's beautiful,lit up all the time and full of opportunity I feel much longing for Britain and Europe where my ancestors lived for thousands of years.Especially being part of its culture and traditions.

I suppose Americans would feel less so as many of their ancestors have been their since the 1600's.
I always felt very strong about Scotland, never really knew why. Until I found out my father's ancestors are from Scotland. I have and always had very strong connection to Scotland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy