Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 09:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times

Advertisements

Those no longer living in the land of their ancestors do you feel a disconnection to where you are,do you feel a longing for your ancestral homeland and it's traditions?

I was born in Australia and while it's beautiful,lit up all the time and full of opportunity I feel much longing for Britain and Europe where my ancestors lived for thousands of years.Especially being part of its culture and traditions.

I suppose Americans would feel less so as many of their ancestors have been their since the 1600's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Those no longer living in the land of their ancestors do you feel a disconnection to where you are,do you feel a longing for your ancestral homeland and it's traditions?

I was born in Australia and while it's beautiful,lit up all the time and full of opportunity I feel much longing for Britain and Europe where my ancestors lived for thousands of years.Especially being part of its culture and traditions.

I suppose Americans would feel less so as many of their ancestors have been their since the 1600's.
My grandmother was born on one continent, my father on another, and I on a third. I don't long for the world my grandparents had because the only real world I know is the one I was born to. I'm certainly curious about the worlds of my previous generations, but those worlds are long gone.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

I'm a US citizen. My ancestors mostly came in the 18th century. However, they started coming in the 1600s & one grandfather immigrated from Europe in 1904. Since you said Americans & that includes Canadians, I would assume that many Canadians could say the same.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:04 PM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
Quote:

I was born in America, and as per my Y-DNA test, I am related to the people of Ireland. And yes I would like to travel to Ireland sometime.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,009 times
Certainly I would like to travel to the countries of my ancestors (Ireland, Scotland, England) but I do not feel "homesick."
Countries of Great Britain & Israel are all on my "bucket list."

Old 12-25-2016, 04:55 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
When we visited England 20 years ago it felt like home which surprised me. No relatives that we know still live in GB or Ireland and my gene test says I'm 75% UK/Irish and the rest No. European. Of course the people look like me and all the signs were in English which increases the normalcy.

I enjoy being around people from all countries, who look different and speak different languages but being around people of the same general DNA feels calming. I hear the Irish are wonderful to visitors but I'd equally like to visit France.

We visited Italy 15 years ago, looked very much forward to it but the residents in Rome and Florence disliked me on sight. Never happened to me before and very upsetting. I'd never go back but glad to have seen the art museums and architecture.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:44 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Not at all...other than to just visit. My ancestors were mostly unhappy with where they came from. Some were driven out.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:40 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Yes! I would love to visit all of my ancestral homelands, including all the other parts of the US my ancestors came from (Like South Carolina back country, the hills of Northern Georgia, the Ozarks of Missouri, even Long Island NY where a pub my ancestor started operating in 1650 still exists as a hotel as "The Baker House 1650") as well as Europe and Africa. I would love to identify a region and tribe my grandmother's Native America DNA came from and visit and learn about that as well.

I love learning about all of them and would love to visit them all.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:44 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Family has been here for about 130 years or so and the last who even had a hint of what the homeland was like passed in the sixties I'm guessing. We do know the general area they came from but very few of the ethnic group still reside there, if any. The Nazi regime brought them back to the "Fatherland" before the war and those that survived scattered to the winds. The Gottschee Germans had a rough time indeed.

So, what would I see if I ventured there? No, no reason to have a longing I guess.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:57 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:

My ancestors lived, on my father's side, near the border of modern Slovakia and Hungary. Both sets of paternal grandparents arrived separately and during different generations. My maternal grandfather's side came from modern Poland, then Czarist Russia. My maternal grandmother's side came from modern Ukraine, then Czarist Russia. Unlike the presumed ancestors of the OP, my ancestors' hosts were murderous. There were riots, called pogroms, on a regular basis.

I only know about the circumstances of my maternal grandmother's parent's flight. Jacob (his first name) became a deserter from the Czar's army when he refused to renew his five-year stint in 1896. We all know what happens to deserters. While I can't speak for all Eastern European Jews, you will find few that pine for their ancestral lands. Almost all willingly kissed the ground of the United States when they arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy