Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I would say the original Britons, the Welsh, are more Celtic than the Irish. Much less Norman, Viking and Saxon blood.
It seems like a lot of Welsh people have dark hair. Not many blondes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It seems like a lot of Welsh people have dark hair. Not many blondes.
The Welsh do have a lower percentage of blondes than England, but that doesn't mean there aren't many blondes:

http://orig15.deviantart.net/c2f1/f/...um-d7yjja3.png

Most of Wales is about 35-50% blonde.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The Welsh do have a lower percentage of blondes than England, but that doesn't mean there aren't many blondes:

http://orig15.deviantart.net/c2f1/f/...um-d7yjja3.png

Most of Wales is about 35-50% blonde.

In the country area of norway, and the finnish areas, it like 100% blond

Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
In the country area of norway, and the finnish areas, it like 100% blond
No, if you read the key, it clearly says those areas are 65%+. So they could be anywhere from 65% blonde to 100% blonde. There might be some small areas that are 100% but the whole country? Not only is that extremely unlikely in general, but if there was a huge area like that which was 100% blonde, they would have added an category/color for that, but they didn't.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
It will give you regions, not specific countries. Here is my Eurogenes DNA test from Gedmatch, take a look:

SOUTH_BALTIC 5.63
EAST_EURO 10.04
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 12.98
ATLANTIC 14.15
WEST_MED 10.59
EAST_MED 7.70
WEST_ASIAN 3.44
MIDDLE_EASTERN 3.70
SOUTH_ASIAN 1.63
EAST_AFRICAN 3.73
EAST_ASIAN 5.87
SIBERIAN 13.55
WEST_AFRICAN 6.98

OP, you would test with one of the main 3, Ancestry FTDNA or 23 and me, once it's done processing, download your raw data. Make an account on GEDmatch, once there, upload the raw data. They will give you a number for each raw data you upload, each sample with number will be shown on your main page. Once it's processed on your main page you'll see the various things you can do with it. I believe the one posted was Admixture (heritage) - Select the project: Eurogenes; from there I just leave it set to defaults. There is also a hunter gatherer vs farmer one you can do. I haven't played around with it much.

Analyze Your Data
DNA raw data

'One-to-many' matches
'One-to-one' compare
X 'One-to-one'
Admixture (heritage)
Admixture/Oracle with
Population Search
Phasing
People who match one
or both of 2 kits Updated
Predict Eye Color
Are your parents related?
3D Chromosome Browser
Archaic DNA matches
Multiple Kit Analysis NEW
DNA File Diagnostic Utility

Genealogy

1 GEDCOM to all
2 GEDCOMs
Search all GEDCOMs Revised
GEDCOM + DNA matches

Here is mine Population
North_Atlantic 28.72
Baltic 31.94
West_Med 13.47
West_Asian 9.51
East_Med 12.28
Red_Sea 2.08
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.31
Amerindian 0.24
Oceanian -
Northeast_African -
Sub-Saharan 0.46

Old 01-22-2017, 10:51 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Yes, I spend more time at GedMatch.com than at 23andMe
For comparison sake...here's my results as well.
My people were mostly German/Pomeranian and Irish...

Population
North_Atlantic 41.49
Baltic 31.28
West_Med 11.13
West_Asian 6.79
East_Med 7.13
Red_Sea -
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian -
Amerindian -
Oceanian 0.69
Northeast_African -
Sub-Saharan 1.49
(there are a variety of tests - this is Eurogenes k13)

The GEDCOM database is interesting because it provides ancestor names
for people with matching DNA so you can try to find a family match. Most of
your matches will not have a GEDCOM on file but dozens will.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Yes, I spend more time at GedMatch.com than at 23andMe
For comparison sake...here's my results as well.
My people were mostly German/Pomeranian and Irish...

Population
North_Atlantic 41.49
Baltic 31.28
West_Med 11.13
West_Asian 6.79
East_Med 7.13
Red_Sea -
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian -
Amerindian -
Oceanian 0.69
Northeast_African -
Sub-Saharan 1.49
(there are a variety of tests - this is Eurogenes k13)

The GEDCOM database is interesting because it provides ancestor names
for people with matching DNA so you can try to find a family match. Most of
your matches will not have a GEDCOM on file but dozens will.
Eurogenes K13 here:
Population:
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08

Old 01-23-2017, 04:18 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I would say the original Britons, the Welsh, are more Celtic than the Irish. Much less Norman, Viking and Saxon blood.
Not too sure how true that is England Dan. The Irish on dna tests tend to peak in British&Irish on 23andMe, Ireland on Ancestry and British Isles on FTDNA. As you move away from Ireland it gets a little more varied with South East English being the more varied in their Ancestry Comp.

There is a new DNA test with is very much geared to the Britain called LivingDNA which can tell you where all your ancestors are from in Britain. Some results have started to be released but this blog is from Debbie Kennett who is a well known in the genetic genealogy community. She has nearly all British Isles ancestry and has had some results from LivingDNA.

https://cruwys.blogspot.com.au/2017/...-1-family.html

Old 02-07-2017, 04:04 AM

20 posts, read 15,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
None of those are a race. Irish, Scottish, English, and Welsh are all white - their race is white. .
Uhhh what? That's a colour, and not a terribly accurate one to use anyway. White isn't a race. Maybe you were thinking of bigger classifications of commonality like Caucasian. Even then, it's not suitable to say that one Caucasian from Italy is the same as some Scot from Glasgow, because that is just silly. Our differences are fascinating and something to both be aware and proud of.

Irish are predominantly Celtic, with Spanish (in the south) and Viking (in the north) thrown in from historic settlements. That's race.
English are German/Freisan/Danish from invasions. The original Britons were pushed into Wales (the name, I have read somewhere, means "foreigner". Must find that reference.) That's a race.
Scots are Celtic and Viking and those ancient and very plucky Picts. Making a unique...race.

So no, they're not white. They're people, with a history, sometimes a very messy and unpleasant history, but a history nonetheless.

For myself, I'm Irish, English, Ashkenazi and have an Australian passport. What do I answer when someone asks about my background? I say that I'm Irish, with an Ashkenazi Jewish surname. In other words, a bit of a mix!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:29 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanrenewal View Post
Uhhh what? That's a colour, and not a terribly accurate one to use anyway. White isn't a race. Maybe you were thinking of bigger classifications of commonality like Caucasian. Even then, it's not suitable to say that one Caucasian from Italy is the same as some Scot from Glasgow, because that is just silly. Our differences are fascinating and something to both be aware and proud of.

Irish are predominantly Celtic, with Spanish (in the south) and Viking (in the north) thrown in from historic settlements. That's race.
English are German/Freisan/Danish from invasions. The original Britons were pushed into Wales (the name, I have read somewhere, means "foreigner". Must find that reference.) That's a race.
Scots are Celtic and Viking and those ancient and very plucky Picts. Making a unique...race.

So no, they're not white. They're people, with a history, sometimes a very messy and unpleasant history, but a history nonetheless.

For myself, I'm Irish, English, Ashkenazi and have an Australian passport. What do I answer when someone asks about my background? I say that I'm Irish, with an Ashkenazi Jewish surname. In other words, a bit of a mix!
The Irish are neither Spanish nor Viking. Not sure where people get that idea from. The Irish all cluster together. In dna cluster maps they are slightly north of the English and next to the Scots. All the British Isles are extremely close genetically. There is not much difference between the Celts and the Germanics. They all cluster right beside each other.

I guess a Eurogenes plot is as good as any. The Irish are a bit more northern than the English genetically which would not be the case if they were Spanish.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy