Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times

Advertisements

Will DNA testing tell you just the general region of Europe that your ancestors came from, or will it give you a specific country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:31 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Expect broad regional information "the Balkans", "Eastern Europe", "Sub-Sahara Africa", "Northwestern Europe". They can't seem to distinguish Ireland from England/Wales/Scotland. "Southern Europe" could be Italy or Greece or Spain. People moved around much more than we think so It is hard to nail things down. "Eastern Europe" could be Germany or Ukraine or Hungary. Maybe in some cases with deep testing and $$$ you might get more detail.

On the haplogroups (maternal or paternal) they seem like they can point to places 5,000 to 25,000 years ago -- Caspian Sea, Syria, Iberia, etc Populations were smaller and isolated. The field of knowledge is changing fast so don't put a lot of trust in something four or five years old regarding these ancient populations..

Old 01-18-2017, 06:32 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Will DNA testing tell you just the general region of Europe that your ancestors came from, or will it give you a specific country?
It will give you regions, not specific countries. Here is my Eurogenes DNA test from Gedmatch, take a look:

SOUTH_BALTIC 5.63
EAST_EURO 10.04
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 12.98
ATLANTIC 14.15
WEST_MED 10.59
EAST_MED 7.70
WEST_ASIAN 3.44
MIDDLE_EASTERN 3.70
SOUTH_ASIAN 1.63
EAST_AFRICAN 3.73
EAST_ASIAN 5.87
SIBERIAN 13.55
WEST_AFRICAN 6.98

Old 01-18-2017, 07:12 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
dna cant test history, but as people move around they leave people behind, so they test the present and predict the history. somebody with your dna could be from one country but that doesnt mean your tree was every in that country. you got to take it with a grain of salt

Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The only DNA nation state on Ancestry.com DNA is Ireland and Great Britain if you don't consider Scotland, Wales, and England separate ethnic nations. West Europe is a large region from Netherlands to northern Italy.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The only DNA nation state on Ancestry.com DNA is Ireland and Great Britain if you don't consider Scotland, Wales, and England separate ethnic nations. West Europe is a large region from Netherlands to northern Italy.
Even those aren't restricted to just those places though.

Great Britain
Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales
Also found in: Ireland, France, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Italy

Ireland
Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland
Also found in: France, England

Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Expect broad regional information "the Balkans", "Eastern Europe", "Sub-Sahara Africa", "Northwestern Europe". They can't seem to distinguish Ireland from England/Wales/Scotland. "Southern Europe" could be Italy or Greece or Spain. People moved around much more than we think so It is hard to nail things down. "Eastern Europe" could be Germany or Ukraine or Hungary. Maybe in some cases with deep testing and $$$ you might get more detail.
I guess so many of those people inter-mingled with each other in the same regions.

My husband said Irish and Scottish people are the same race with the same DNA and always have been. English and Welsh seem to be something else.

My mom's side of the family originally were German-speaking Swiss immigrants. So maybe my DNA will say "Central Europe"?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
It will give you regions, not specific countries. Here is my Eurogenes DNA test from Gedmatch, take a look:

SOUTH_BALTIC 5.63
EAST_EURO 10.04
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 12.98
ATLANTIC 14.15
WEST_MED 10.59
EAST_MED 7.70
WEST_ASIAN 3.44
MIDDLE_EASTERN 3.70
SOUTH_ASIAN 1.63
EAST_AFRICAN 3.73
EAST_ASIAN 5.87
SIBERIAN 13.55
WEST_AFRICAN 6.98

that's interesting. Are you American and if so, how long have your ancestors lived in the USA?

Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I guess so many of those people inter-mingled with each other in the same regions.

My husband said Irish and Scottish people are the same race with the same DNA and always have been. English and Welsh seem to be something else.
None of those are a race. Irish, Scottish, English, and Welsh are all white - their race is white. Even ethnically, their DNA isn't vastly different. AncestryDNA is the only one that attempts to separate Irish/Celtic from British and it's just not always possible. 23andMe and FTDNA lump them together as an indistinguishable "British Isles" or "British & Irish". Even AncestryDNA has to admit that all of those countries can turn up under either category, Ireland or Great Britain. Your ancestry can be entirely English but you could get high results in the category called Ireland, or vice versa.

Quote:
My mom's side of the family originally were German-speaking Swiss immigrants. So maybe my DNA will say "Central Europe"?
You may get a high percentage in West/Central Europe, but because the Germans/Swiss share so much DNA with neighboring regions, you will likely get some results in other areas too. Note the info I posted for Great Britain from AncestryDNA includes Germany and Switzerland.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
I would say the original Britons, the Welsh, are more Celtic than the Irish. Much less Norman, Viking and Saxon blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy