Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 05:41 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times

Advertisements

My brother and I have been tested and had similar results. Our grandfather is Scandinavian - his parents emigrated in the late 1800's - but both of us are testing at only 5% Scandinavian. Otherwise mostly Great Britian/Scotland and some German/French or Broadly northwestern European. I realize that many Britains have a good amount of Scandinavian DNA but have not heard of the reverse but suppose the "missing" Scandinavian DNA could be included in the northwestern European.

I had hoped for some Native American DNA - my mom is from the southeastern US with pioneer ancestors, has high cheek bones, and slightly dark skin with a reddish hue. No Native American in my DNA but then my brother tested at less than 1% Asian/Native American thought to be a Native American ancestor 6-8 generations back or more. I tested at less than 1% German Jewish ancestor. I take those results with a grain of salt but am working on my family tree and hope to find these more exotic ancestors.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 08-02-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 06:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My brother and I have been tested and had similar results. Our grandfather is Scandinavian - his parents emigrated in the late 1800's - but both of us are testing at only 5% Scandinavian. Otherwise mostly Great Britian/Scotland and some German/French or Broadly northwestern European. I realize that many Britains have a good amount of Scandinavian DNA but have not heard of the reverse but suppose the "missing" Scandinavian DNA could be included in the northwestern European.

I had hoped for some Native American DNA - my mom is from the southeastern US with pioneer ancestors, has high cheek bones, and slightly dark skin with a reddish hue. No Native American in my DNA but then my brother tested at less than 1% Asian/Native American thought to be a Native American ancestor 6-8 generations back or more. I tested at less than 1% German Jewish ancestor. I take those results with a grain of salt but am working on my family tree and hope to find these more exotic ancestors.
This always amazes me when someone says ONE grandparent is x and then are surprised there is so little x in their DNA. Why would one expect that one grandparent to be 100% x? And what about the other 3 grandparents? Most of us are very mixed. Our grandparents are very mixed as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:24 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
ABQ2015 -- I wonder what company you tested with. Sometimes the percentages are quite different from one to another. I did 23andme and MyHeritage and the results are very different.

DNA trickles down in an odd way. 23andme gave me a small percentage of Scandinavian when I don't know of any ancestors from there since about 1595 and then it was an 8th great grandfather who was born in Denmark but moved to Holland where she married a local woman and their kids came to America. 23andme tells me now that the Scandinavian ancestor was from Denmark so he must be the guy and his DNA was passed down all those generations bypassing more recent Dutch, English, French, and Ukrainian DNA along the way.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:29 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
This always amazes me when someone says ONE grandparent is x and then are surprised there is so little x in their DNA. Why would one expect that one grandparent to be 100% x? And what about the other 3 grandparents? Most of us are very mixed. Our grandparents are very mixed as well.
Assuming the Scandinavian genealogy databases are correct, I can trace that grandparent back generation after generation at least 8 or 9 generations and all have Scandinavian first names and surnames and live in the same area which is far from the rest of Europe. Yes I know the surname changed each generation. And the Vikings traveled early on. I haven't researched it but doubt there was as much much mixing in the last several hundred years for them as there was on the German/French or UK sides. Again just guessing but it makes more sense that an 8th or 9th generation Scandinavian ancestor would travel south than vice versa.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:23 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Why would anyone hope to find a particular type of DNA? Hence the disappointment.

Why not have the philosophy of accepting ancestors, whoever they are? It is what it is.

Last edited by bjh; 08-02-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
[quote=bjh;52686047]Why would anyone hope to find a particular type of DNA? Hence the disappointment.

Because it's 'cool' to be Native American. It's so odd, nothing else is considered as good as being Native American. I don't get it, at all.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:14 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Because it's 'cool' to be Native American. It's so odd, nothing else is considered as good as being Native American. I don't get it, at all.
Too many people must not be familiar with atrocities committed by many Native Americans that led settlers to refer to them as savages. Not PC to say these days. But it's historical fact. Many would rather nurse the Disney image of the wholly innocent noble savages.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:41 AM

71 posts, read 76,600 times
Shocked is more like it. I have Native American ancestry so the family lore was and is real. Along with other Asian ancestry. My disappointment is I wished I had more Asian blood. Wish I could reverse it with my African ancestry.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:38 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
it seems like they made it easy to take the stupid out of it, too many people complaining about a 1000 years ago with, my family never been to spain. so it seems like they are only counting the last three hundred years.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post

Assuming your grandfather, if tested, was 50% Scandinavian and 50% other, that would likely come down to you as 12.5% or so. Given the notorious fizziness of these tests, that seems like it is in th3 ballpark.

Another option is that your grandfather is not your biological ancestor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy