Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 04:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,896,078 times

Advertisements

This new feature popped up for me recently, but it sounds like it's not available to everyone yet.

https://genealogical-musings.blogspo...estrydnas.html (I don't make any money off my blog)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 06:53 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
This new feature popped up for me recently, but it sounds like it's not available to everyone yet.

https://genealogical-musings.blogspo...estrydnas.html (I don't make any money off my blog)

Thanks for blogging about it. You're right, it looks like it's slowly being rolled out, unfortunately I don't have it. It's about time they did it. My Heritage's relationship estimate is better then Ancestrys, especially when the person is in your tree.

I switched to my computer because I couldn't see your photos, of course now I see I can click it to make the picture larger lol

It looks like it's easy to find. Click on the match, if there's a pencil next to the estimated relationship then you're able to do it. If not, you have to wait until it's your turn to get the update.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,896,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for blogging about it. You're right, it looks like it's slowly being rolled out, unfortunately I don't have it. It's about time they did it. My Heritage's relationship estimate is better then Ancestrys, especially when the person is in your tree.

I switched to my computer because I couldn't see your photos, of course now I see I can click it to make the picture larger lol

It looks like it's easy to find. Click on the match, if there's a pencil next to the estimated relationship then you're able to do it. If not, you have to wait until it's your turn to get the update.
You can do it from the match list too - where the "view match" button is, it now says "do you recognize them?" and you can click "yes" or "learn more". Once you've selected a relationship, it goes back to "view match".

Old 05-27-2021, 09:50 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,773 times
Couldn't rep you but thanks for an excellent article and breakdown. I don't have it yet but looking forward to getting it.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Thanks for the head's up! Apparently I'm still waiting

Old 06-01-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You can do it from the match list too - where the "view match" button is, it now says "do you recognize them?" and you can click "yes" or "learn more". Once you've selected a relationship, it goes back to "view match".

Thanks. Hopefully they'll give it to everyone soon. You should add that to your blog.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
I finally got the update, I wish they had that when I started my family tree 3 years ago, but I guess better late than never!

Like PA2UK mentioned in her blog, there are limitations and I wish there was a way you can manually enter a connection, by typing it in!

Here's one of my "it's complicated" DNA matches, although there's definitely even crazier, more complex ones out there for some people.

Me and this DNA match on Ancestry share 161 cM of DNA across 7 segments. We both have family trees and I can see how we are related. We both share the same 3G-Grandparents on one branch, which would make us 4th cousins, so why do we share 2% of our DNA, instead of like 0.07% - 0.5%.

Well, our 3G-Grandfather married twice, his 1st marriage produced a son and his 2nd marriage produced a daughter (my 2G-Grandmother) and a son (my DNA match's 2G-Grandfather). Her 2G-Grandfather (my 2G-Granduncle) ended up marrying his half-brother's daughter. There was even an article in the newspaper I found from 1899, talking about his half-brother charging him with an incestuous marriage, he later dropped the charges!

Long story long, this DNA match and I have two relationships, we are 4th cousins, and I guess half-4th cousins once removed (?), someone will correct me, if I'm wrong. Since her 3G-Grandfather, is also her 4G-Grandfather, that's the reason we share 2% of our DNA.

So when I go to select a relationship connection, I get 25 different choices to choose from, except none of them are 4th cousins or half-4th cousins once removed. Knowing Ancestry, it will probably be a few years before they allow use to manual type in a relationship!

Last edited by cjseliga; 06-16-2021 at 08:57 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 01:16 AM

16,108 posts, read 10,775,000 times
I "recognize" people only because I have researched our connection or common ancestry...but don't know them. I know what side of the family they are on but that is it. The "private" label for living people makes it hard to guess the relationship.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:33 AM

I have it too but mine looks different then your screen shot, it has a box that says "add relationship" then asks if you know the person and to pick the most likely. For some it was showing 2nd cousin once removed, I clicked show more, it showed me 2nd cousins.

I think what they're doing is trying to make their relationship estimates better with us picking the known relationship. I'm sure they have a program that scans a database showing what we pick, similar to what My heritage does with using all of the uploaders DNA information.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:01 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,572,537 times
This option finally appeared for my account on 06-15-2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy