Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 PM

81 posts, read 99,131 times

Advertisements

Sure. And I'm sorry about your mom, and your situation with your father. It stinks when you have to resort to the internet to get information about a parent that most people take for granted. I've been there. I almost gave up in my search, but I'm glad I didn't because I eventually found what I was looking for. Hang in there - hugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,014,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellabella2 View Post
Sure. And I'm sorry about your mom, and your situation with your father. It stinks when you have to resort to the internet to get information about a parent that most people take for granted. I've been there. I almost gave up in my search, but I'm glad I didn't because I eventually found what I was looking for. Hang in there - hugs!
Thank you.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:52 AM

7,125 posts, read 9,199,181 times
here ya go: https://www.findagrave.com/index.html

Old 03-22-2017, 11:08 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,743,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The OP said they already checked Find A Grave and didn't have any luck. Gravestone listings on Find A Grave are subject to users adding them. While there are some people who will collect and upload data on every grave within certain cemeteries, most listings on FG are added by descendants/relatives of the deceased. For someone who died so recently, and her only child not knowng where she's buried, and her husband unwilling to talk about it, there aren't many people who could have or would have added it to FG.

Remington Steel, I have a full subscription to newspapers.com, if you want to PM me with your mother's details, I can look for an obituary there. I also have a full subscription to Ancestry.com and can look for a Social Security death index (even if she wasn't a US citizen, if she was a permanent resident, she would have had a SS number). The SS death index won't say where she was buried but it might give you other useful info, and will allow you to order the full SS death record, which might help as well. If those options don't pan out (not all deaths were reported to SS, and not everyone had an obituary), you should look into ordering a copy of her death certificate from NY State Department of Health (assuming she died in NY State outside of NYC - if she died in NYC, you'll need to order from: Death Certificates - Dept. of Health ).

Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The OP said they already checked Find A Grave and didn't have any luck. Gravestone listings on Find A Grave are subject to users adding them. While there are some people who will collect and upload data on every grave within certain cemeteries, most listings on FG are added by descendants/relatives of the deceased. For someone who died so recently, and her only child not knowng where she's buried, and her husband unwilling to talk about it, there aren't many people who could have or would have added it to FG.

Remington Steel, I have a full subscription to newspapers.com, if you want to PM me with your mother's details, I can look for an obituary there. I also have a full subscription to Ancestry.com and can look for a Social Security death index (even if she wasn't a US citizen, if she was a permanent resident, she would have had a SS number). The SS death index won't say where she was buried but it might give you other useful info, and will allow you to order the full SS death record, which might help as well. If those options don't pan out (not all deaths were reported to SS, and not everyone had an obituary), you should look into ordering a copy of her death certificate from NY State Department of Health (assuming she died in NY State outside of NYC - if she died in NYC, you'll need to order from: Death Certificates - Dept. of Health ).
Thank you so much! PM sent.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,470,666 times
As a child of (with proof of relationship), you should be able to purchase a death certificate from the Dept of Health for New York state.

The death certificate should have the burial location.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
As a child of (with proof of relationship), you should be able to purchase a death certificate from the Dept of Health for New York state.

The death certificate should have the burial location.
Yes. I will pursue that route. Thank you.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:38 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,195,709 times
Default One last thing

Remarkable how kind and helpful the posters have been in this forum.

Even if you think you know where your mother is buried, locate the office or secretary for that cemetery to find out where (lot and section) she was buried. They will either give you the information you seek or explain what the problem is for their internments. Based upon the little you know, she could have been cremated and her ashes scattered.

Public libraries have access to Ancestry.com which have it all. I like the federal census information. Everybodies got to be some place, every minute.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,814,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I tried that site with no such luck. She wasn't a U.S. Citizen. My father met her while he was in the Air Force stationed in England. She was Catholic. All I have is her full name and birth date from my birth certificate. The county was Clinton County, upstate N.Y. Knowing him, he just probably had her buried wherever it was convenient for him unfortunately. Thanks.

If you know the town in Clinton County where your Mom passed on, than it may be easier to get the death certificate at the local level (the cert should be filed locally & at the state level.)

Here's a link with town names & contact info for each town for vital records:

Clinton County, NY - County Clerk

If she was connected with a church than you might also search for church records.

Also, try this free site of old, digitized NY newspapers:
www.fultonhistory.com
There may have been an obituary, or announcement of funeral arrangements.

Was your Mom from England? Did she have family there?

If your parents were married in England than you may find their marriage record at this index:
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I'm not very familiar with what data is included in English marriage records, but perhaps it may list the names of your Mom's parents?

Old 03-25-2017, 02:18 AM

424 posts, read 235,025 times
OP, you may also want to check out billiongraves.com.

I found the graves of ancestors on there that weren't on Find-a-grave.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy