Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:41 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
No. lOL! My mother was pregnant with me while my sister had a teen pregnancy and gave that child up for adoption. My immediate thought was am I that child? During that time the stigma of a teen having a child out of wed lock would have been huge soooooo it was just a quick though like OMG was I really that baby? Sister 18 pregnant and mother 43 and pregnant at the same time. What are the odds?
There was a cable TV reality show based on that premise

My Teen Is Pregnant and So Am I TV Show: News, Videos, Full Episodes and More | TVGuide.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 06:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
No. lOL! My mother was pregnant with me while my sister had a teen pregnancy and gave that child up for adoption. My immediate thought was am I that child? During that time the stigma of a teen having a child out of wed lock would have been huge soooooo it was just a quick though like OMG was I really that baby? Sister 18 pregnant and mother 43 and pregnant at the same time. What are the odds?
My aunt, about age 40, had her last child about six months after her first grandchild was born to her 20 year old daughter. So, the uncle was six months younger than his nephew.

OTOH, I do know families where the teenager had a baby and that baby was secretly (or not so secretly) adopted and raised as a sibling to their biological parent.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
He's your nephew.

The results show that you share approx. 25% of the same DNA. Based on that, the 23&Me site is GUESSING that he is your half-brother. It's a wrong guess.

The following relationships represent sharing approx. 25% of the same DNA:
- Grandparent / Grandchild
- Aunt / Uncle
- Niece / Nephew
- Half Sibling

No testing can determine which of the above relationships is correct. Common sense will tell you though that he's not your grandchild or your grandfather or your uncle. You've also ruled out a half-sibling relationship.

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/...ween-relatives
Not the case here, but double cousins (both sets of parents are siblings) also share 25% of the same DNA. I only know this because my husband has 2 half siblings and 1 double cousin.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My aunt, about age 40, had her last child about six months after her first grandchild was born to her 20 year old daughter. So, the uncle was six months younger than his nephew.

OTOH, I do know families where the teenager had a baby and that baby was secretly (or not so secretly) adopted and raised as a sibling to their biological parent.
I know several families where that happened. One woman didn't find out that her sister was really her mother until they had a big family fight the night before the woman's wedding! What a mess.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
So if 23 and me gets roughly a 25% consanguinity index and they have 12 possible choices
Grandfather / Grandmother 25%
Grandson / Granddaughter 25%
Aunt / Uncle 25%
Niece / Nephew 25%
Half Brother/Sister 25%
Double first cousin 25%

Based on sex they can reduce it to six choices. Double first cousins are rare in this culture, but more common in places like Pakistan.

They make the other guess based on age as to what is appropriate. But there is no obvious age difference between a nephew and a half brother. They probably have a fixed age range to which they respond with half brother.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-03-2017 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: I just realized I was repeating information posted earlier

Old 04-03-2017, 09:27 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Quote:
It could happen, but it's not all that common. I bet you are your sister's child and your mother took you as her child.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:28 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I'm my own Grandpa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x1ETPkZsk

Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
I got the same results about my nephew at FTDNA.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
My paternal aunt (about 30 years older than me) and I both took the DNA test, and it shows us as first cousins. My mom's going to take it, so we're joking what we'll show up as.

As for mom and daughter pregnant at the same time.....hell, there was a pretty famous example not even ten years ago: US VP Candidate Sarah Palin gave birth to her last child in April 2008, and her oldest daughter Bristol gave birth to her first child December that same year. It does happen.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I bet you are your sister's child and your mother took you as her child.
It is possible, but I wouldn't upset your family based on the 23 and Me test. There is no way to actually distinguish between two relations with the same consanguinity . The following website says the same thing:

http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/Relative-Finder.html
Relative Finder can’t tell a half sibling pair from an uncle-nephew pair. But you usually have enough additional information to know that only one of those relationships makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy