Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 AM

60 posts, read 98,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. There are some Trini members of the forums I'm members of and most of them are mostly African and East Indian. Some also have indigenous, European, and even East Asian (Chinese) DNA.
That's pretty cool to know! It's interesting to see how diverse other places like Trinidad can be. I've tried to find more info about my family history on my Trinidadian side of my family on Ancestry.com, but I seem to have hit a brick wall of sorts. I can't find any actual reliable information past my grandmother (not confident about info about grandfather and great grandparents) so that's been a struggle. Does anybody know if it's common to have problems with finding reliable records of ancestors in a different country like Trinidad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 07:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don16 View Post
That's pretty cool to know! It's interesting to see how diverse other places like Trinidad can be. I've tried to find more info about my family history on my Trinidadian side of my family on Ancestry.com, but I seem to have hit a brick wall of sorts. I can't find any actual reliable information past my grandmother (not confident about info about grandfather and great grandparents) so that's been a struggle. Does anybody know if it's common to have problems with finding reliable records of ancestors in a different country like Trinidad?
I have some distant great uncles that moved to Haiti and I've never found anything else about them either.

They moved there in the mid 1860s. Most of the family eventually moved back to the USA but 2 uncles and their wives and children stayed in Haiti. I've looked at stuff on Family Search but haven't found anything about them at all. I am doubting I ever will as I don't know if or what kind of records they even kept in Haiti.

I do have records of the family's journey to Haiti. I also have information compiled from some relatives with original documents of paperwork showing that these ancestors joined the Haitian army. I have records of when the majority of the family returned to the US as well. But nothing on those that stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy