Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There's a 6.25% chance of two positive parents having a negative child, so it is definitely possible and that alone should not be reason to think you must be adopted. But obviously if she, her father, her sister, and a maternal uncle have all taken the DNA test at the same company and she definitely doesn't match any of them (ie, they've waited a few days to a week for the match list to fully populate), then there is no way she is related to any of them and she was obviously adopted. But I'm not clear on whether that is the case or not, since she also says her daughter tested and seems to indicate she's not even a match to her daughter, which doesn't make sense. Either she misspoke or the results just haven't fully come in yet.
She also needs to be sure the settings are appropriate to allow those matches to show up. My sister in law had my MIL tested at 23AndMe and she still does not show up as a match to DH. His sister and his brother's daughter do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
She also needs to be sure the settings are appropriate to allow those matches to show up. My sister in law had my MIL tested at 23AndMe and she still does not show up as a match to DH. His sister and his brother's daughter do.
I believe it's all or nothing with matching, and since she said her closest match is a 2nd cousin, then she must have matching turned on. Unless everyone else except her: her dad, sister, uncle, and daughter, all have it turned off, I don't think that's the issue.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:44 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Unless something has changed in recent years, at 23andMe there is an option in Relative Finder to omit close relatives. I have a previously unknown 2nd cousin who shows as one of my close relatives. So suzy is correct, she should make sure that she is using the proper filter.

Also, that user has a 50/50 chance of inheriting an Rh - factor from each parent if both parents are +/-. I really don't think the likelihood is 6%.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Unless something has changed in recent years, at 23andMe there is an option in Relative Finder to omit close relatives. I have a previously unknown 2nd cousin who shows as one of my close relatives. So suzy is correct, she should make sure that she is using the proper filter.
There is a slider bar where you can exclude close (or distant) relatives, but it is disabled by default, and not "sticky", which means upon first look, it will not exclude anyone, and even if one plays with the slider bar to exclude relationships, the next time they look at their DNA relatives list, it will not be excluding anyone. It would be extremely difficult to never see your immediate family on the list, even if you played with that slider bar.

Quote:
Also, that user has a 50/50 chance of inheriting an Rh - factor from each parent if both parents are +/-. I really don't think the likelihood is 6%.
She said both her parents were positive and according to this calculator, if you select any positive blood types for both parents, the likelihood of a negative child is 6.25%: Blood Type Child Parental Calculator -- EndMemo

Old 07-08-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
There is a slider bar where you can exclude close (or distant) relatives, but it is disabled by default, and not "sticky", which means upon first look, it will not exclude anyone, and even if one plays with the slider bar to exclude relationships, the next time they look at their DNA relatives list, it will not be excluding anyone. It would be extremely difficult to never see your immediate family on the list, even if you played with that slider bar.

She said both her parents were positive and according to this calculator, if you select any positive blood types for both parents, the likelihood of a negative child is 6.25%: Blood Type Child Parental Calculator -- EndMemo
Let me ask you. Are you an active 23andMe participant? I don't believe that you are. Please answer Yes or No here. You can OPT to NOT show close relatives. To that person's credit or not, they may have elected to NOT show close relatives without even recognizing it. I don't know what the default IS BECAUSE I, yes I elected to know it ALL. And that person SHOULD re-evaluate their settings. It's NOT hard, here.

Again, you have a 50/50 chance of inheriting RH- status from both +/- parents. I don't believe that YOU fully understand. Both of my parents are Rh +/-. I know this for a specific reason when my father was battling cancer and needed a blood transfusion. His type had yet another marker where even my RH O- blood was no good for him.

Please reconsider your stances on things where you don't really know. Are you Rh-? Are you speaking on what you know from 23andMe or from what you have "heard" of it? Or anything for that matter?
And again, for even the slowest of geneticist a group of Rh +/- parents only have a 50/50 chance of passing on either a positive or negative trait. Do you think some mechanism passes on anything else?

I am a walking live, breathing representative of this. You are relying on some weirdo website where even science points to a 50/50 chance. SMH.

And eta, I visited you foolish website. It DOES NOT ACCOUNT FOR PARENTS WHO ARE +/-, SMH. You don't even understand your own sources because it doesn't account for what that user was relaying. But WE are telling you. Wow. My blood type is VERY common for people who are mixed over generations as a black American. WOW.

Last edited by CMichele; 07-08-2017 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
We know the parents are both +/- because the user is known to be -/- and the parents type as RH +. However, the odds of a -/- child from that pairing is 25%. With two +/- parents there are four possibilities:

+ from father plus + from mother +/+ = Rh +

+ from father plus - from mother +/- = Rh +

+ from mother plus - from father +/- = Rh +

- from mother and - from father -/- = Rh -

Quote:
They are including parents with +/+ Rh types in that calculation. Knowing that the parents are +/- changes the calculation.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We know the parents are both +/- because the user is known to be -/- and the parents type as RH +. However, the odds of a -/- child from that pairing is 25%. With two +/- parents there are four possibilities:

+ from father plus + from mother +/+ = Rh +

+ from father plus - from mother +/- = Rh +

+ from mother plus - from father +/- = Rh +

- from mother and - from father -/- = Rh -

They are including parents with +/+ Rh types in that calculation. Knowing that the parents are +/- changes the calculation.
Thank you. I clearly stated that there is a 50/50 chance from both parents, each. And both had to be +/-.

It is CLEARLY not 6%. And if both parents are +/+, there is NO chance of an Rh - child unless it is like "Weak D" or some phenomena along that level. In that event, the child really isn't Rh-.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:18 PM

After playing around with the misleading Blood Type Child Parental Calculator -- EndMemo site, it is sharing the likelihood of having a certain Rh- allele when it comes to Rh factor but it is STILL wrong. SMH.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:23 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Both of my parents are Rh positive and I am Rh negative. They both carried a negative factor and both passed it to me.

Don't go looking for the milkman just yet.
Both my parents are Rh positive and I am Rh negative. Makes me feel good to know that others had this happen. My mother's first two children died within 24 hours of being born. I am wondering if the Rh factor may have caused this. All her children were born at home and she was attended by a midwife.

Rh positive blood can be a ++ or a +- and to have two parents with Rh positive we had to have two parents that had the positive blood that was +- and got the -- from each parent. Oh, you said that. Sorry.

I just used the blood calculator http://www.endmemo.com/medical/bloodtype.php and the chances of me having negative blood is 6.25%. My husband and I have the same letter but the chance of us having a negative child is 25%. We have two children who luckily both have negative blood. I had my children before the shot was available.

Last edited by NCN; 07-08-2017 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I clearly stated that there is a 50/50 chance from both parents, each. And both had to be +/-.

It is CLEARLY not 6%. And if both parents are +/+, there is NO chance of an Rh - child unless it is like "Weak D" or some phenomena along that level. In that event, the child really isn't Rh-.
Just to be clear, the standard method of describing genetic inheritance is to count the permutations possible. That is why the result for the Rh pairing we are discussing would be described as a 25% probability rather than "a 50/50 chance from both parents, each". It just makes communication easier.

Also, in the calculator that gave the lower figure, a different question is being asked.

For the poster in this thread, the question is, "Given the known +/- status of the parents, what are the chances that particular couple will have an Rh negative child?" The answer is 1 in 4.

For the calculator that gives the 6.5% figure, the question is, "Of all couples where both partners are typed as Rh +, what is the chance of having an Rh - child?" That universe of Rh + couples does include those who are +/+ and cannot have an Rh - child. That makes the probability of the total group who type Rh + having Rh - offspring lower.

An interesting corollary is that most Rh - people have Rh + parents, because being +/- is more common than being -/-.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy