U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
4,835 posts, read 3,541,748 times
Reputation: 6303

Advertisements

I decided to order a 23 and Me kit. I found out two of my family members were adopted - my mom-mom (mom's mother) and my father. I really want to find out my ethnicity and heritage. I also want to find out what type of chronic conditions I have inherited. I have thyroid disease, but I want to see if anything else is in store for the future.

Has anyone purchased a kit from 23 and Me? What did you think? My kit shipped today and I should get it via mail by next week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2017, 12:48 AM
 
28,717 posts, read 42,544,877 times
Reputation: 37653
We did Ancestry. My father was adopted and the family line stops there on his side. All we know is his mother's name (dead ed) and that she and his father were Irish. I'm 40+% Irish - not German or Italian as I was told my whole life. Surprise!!

I did get some other surprises in that I have a God awful lot of distant cousins (not a single first or second)and a nephew no one knew about. That one I'm keeping to myself. One of his half brothers will have to do theirs to find him - not my place, ya know.

Expect a long wait for the results if they are as busy as Ancestry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 AM
 
28,717 posts, read 42,544,877 times
Reputation: 37653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I decided to order a 23 and Me kit. I found out two of my family members were adopted - my mom-mom (mom's mother) and my father. I really want to find out my ethnicity and heritage. I also want to find out what type of chronic conditions I have inherited. I have thyroid disease, but I want to see if anything else is in store for the future.

Has anyone purchased a kit from 23 and Me? What did you think? My kit shipped today and I should get it via mail by next week.
You should post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/genealogy/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Reputation: 12604
23andMe is good for ethnicity reports, but be aware that the medical side of it is still growing and may not include the type of things you're looking for yet. This is everything they include at the moment:

Carrier status for 42 diseases, many I think are rare and not the type of thing most people are interested in:

ARSACS
Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum with Peripheral Neuropathy
Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease
Beta Thalassemia and Related Hemoglobinopathies
Bloom Syndrome
Canavan Disease
Congenital Disorder of Glycosylation Type 1a (PMM2-CDG)
Cystic Fibrosis
D-Bifunctional Protein Deficiency
Dihydrolipoamide Dehydrogenase Deficiency
Familial Dysautonomia
Fanconi Anemia Group C
Gaucher Disease Type 1
GRACILE Syndrome
Glycogen Storage Disease Type Ia
Glycogen Storage Disease Type Ib
Hereditary Fructose Intolerance
Herlitz Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa (LAMB3-Related)
Leigh Syndrome, French Canadian Type
Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2D
Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2E
Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2I
MCAD Deficiency
Maple Syrup Urine Disease Type 1B
Mucolipidosis Type IV
Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (CLN5-Related)
Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (PPT1-Related)
Niemann-Pick Disease Type A
Nijmegen Breakage Syndrome
Nonsyndromic Hearing Loss and Deafness, DFNB1 (GJB2-Related)
Pendred Syndrome and DFNB4 Hearing Loss
Phenylketonuria and Related Disorders
Primary Hyperoxaluria Type 2
Rhizomelic Chondrodysplasia Punctata Type 1
Salla Disease
Sickle Cell Anemia
Sjögren-Larsson Syndrome
Tay-Sachs Disease
Tyrosinemia Type I
Usher Syndrome Type 1F
Usher Syndrome Type 3A
Zellweger Syndrome Spectrum (PEX1-Related)

"Genetic Health Risks" only include reports on:

Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease
Parkinson's Disease
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
Hereditary Thrombophilia

They also include your tendency towards things you probably already know about yourself:

Genetic Weight
Lactose Intolerance
Saturated Fat and Weight
Alcohol Flush Reaction
Caffeine Consumption
Deep Sleep
Muscle Composition
Sleep Movement

And lastly, they provide a number of physical trait reports, which are mostly things you can tell by looking in the mirror:

Taste and Smell - 3 Reports
Bitter Taste
Sweet Taste
Asparagus Odor Detection

Facial Features - 6 Reports
Cleft Chin
Cheek Dimples
Unibrow
Widow's Peak
Eye Color
Earlobe Type

Hair - 4 Reports
Light or Dark Hair
Red Hair
Hair Curliness
Age-Related Newborn Hair Amount

Physical Characteristics - 3 Reports
Finger Length Ratio
Toe Length Ratio
Earwax Type

Physical Responses - 1 Report
Photic Sneeze Response

Skin - 2 Reports
Skin Pigmentation
Freckles

A lot of people have found it disappointing that they don't include the common sort of things most people want to know about like tendency to heart disease, cancer, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
4,835 posts, read 3,541,748 times
Reputation: 6303
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
23andMe is good for ethnicity reports, but be aware that the medical side of it is still growing and may not include the type of things you're looking for yet. This is everything they include at the moment:

Carrier status for 42 diseases, many I think are rare and not the type of thing most people are interested in:

ARSACS
Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum with Peripheral Neuropathy
Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease
Beta Thalassemia and Related Hemoglobinopathies
Bloom Syndrome
Canavan Disease
Congenital Disorder of Glycosylation Type 1a (PMM2-CDG)
Cystic Fibrosis
D-Bifunctional Protein Deficiency
Dihydrolipoamide Dehydrogenase Deficiency
Familial Dysautonomia
Fanconi Anemia Group C
Gaucher Disease Type 1
GRACILE Syndrome
Glycogen Storage Disease Type Ia
Glycogen Storage Disease Type Ib
Hereditary Fructose Intolerance
Herlitz Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa (LAMB3-Related)
Leigh Syndrome, French Canadian Type
Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2D
Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2E
Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2I
MCAD Deficiency
Maple Syrup Urine Disease Type 1B
Mucolipidosis Type IV
Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (CLN5-Related)
Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (PPT1-Related)
Niemann-Pick Disease Type A
Nijmegen Breakage Syndrome
Nonsyndromic Hearing Loss and Deafness, DFNB1 (GJB2-Related)
Pendred Syndrome and DFNB4 Hearing Loss
Phenylketonuria and Related Disorders
Primary Hyperoxaluria Type 2
Rhizomelic Chondrodysplasia Punctata Type 1
Salla Disease
Sickle Cell Anemia
Sjögren-Larsson Syndrome
Tay-Sachs Disease
Tyrosinemia Type I
Usher Syndrome Type 1F
Usher Syndrome Type 3A
Zellweger Syndrome Spectrum (PEX1-Related)

"Genetic Health Risks" only include reports on:

Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease
Parkinson's Disease
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
Hereditary Thrombophilia

They also include your tendency towards things you probably already know about yourself:

Genetic Weight
Lactose Intolerance
Saturated Fat and Weight
Alcohol Flush Reaction
Caffeine Consumption
Deep Sleep
Muscle Composition
Sleep Movement

And lastly, they provide a number of physical trait reports, which are mostly things you can tell by looking in the mirror:

Taste and Smell - 3 Reports
Bitter Taste
Sweet Taste
Asparagus Odor Detection

Facial Features - 6 Reports
Cleft Chin
Cheek Dimples
Unibrow
Widow's Peak
Eye Color
Earlobe Type

Hair - 4 Reports
Light or Dark Hair
Red Hair
Hair Curliness
Age-Related Newborn Hair Amount

Physical Characteristics - 3 Reports
Finger Length Ratio
Toe Length Ratio
Earwax Type

Physical Responses - 1 Report
Photic Sneeze Response

Skin - 2 Reports
Skin Pigmentation
Freckles

A lot of people have found it disappointing that they don't include the common sort of things most people want to know about like tendency to heart disease, cancer, etc.
That list seems amazing though. Since two of my family members were adopted, it's a start.

I have thyroid disease and high cholesterol. I already know those run in my family because everyone in my family has it. Right now I'm curious about my geneology and other minor things.

I'm going to be 28 on Tuesday. I guess I have a lifetime to figure out the health issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,169 posts, read 4,606,209 times
Reputation: 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That list seems amazing though. Since two of my family members were adopted, it's a start.

I have thyroid disease and high cholesterol. I already know those run in my family because everyone in my family has it. Right now I'm curious about my geneology and other minor things.

I'm going to be 28 on Tuesday. I guess I have a lifetime to figure out the health issues.
The FDA recently returned 23andMe's ability to share health reports with its customers.

You will receive the haplogroup for your mom (I am assuming that you are a woman). If you can get your mom or your dad to test, you can then see which relatives are related to you from each side. Between the two I would personally test the dad if he is available. I would at least test him first. You will then get both his maternal and paternal haplogroups as well as his genetic breakdown. Even better, I would personally test your maternal grandmother before testing your mom again, if she is available for testing. So in this order your dad, your maternal grandmother, and then your mother if you feel the need to test her.

The biggest thing for you would be the sorting of relatives with both sides being from adopted homes. Best of luck to you and I think that 23andMe is a great choice for your situation.

Also, keep in mind that 23andMe is constantly adding new questionnaires for the health reports. Keep your info updated and try to answer the questionnaires as often as possible. If you can become administrator over all accounts involved, from the health reports you can view which side has the genetic risk for the thyroid disorder and high cholesterol that you have.

Last edited by CMichele; 06-29-2017 at 07:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
4,835 posts, read 3,541,748 times
Reputation: 6303
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
The FDA recently returned 23andMe's ability to share health reports with its customers.

You will receive the haplogroup for your mom (I am assuming that you are a woman). If you can get your mom or your dad to test, you can then see which relatives are related to you from each side. Between the two I would personally test the dad if he is available. I would at least test him first. You will then get both his maternal and paternal haplogroups as well as his genetic breakdown. Even better, I would personally test your maternal grandmother before testing your mom again, if she is available for testing. So in this order your dad, your maternal grandmother, and then your mother if you feel the need to test her.

The biggest thing for you would be the sorting of relatives with both sides being from adopted homes. Best of luck to you and I think that 23andMe is a great choice for your situation.

Also, keep in mind that 23andMe is constantly adding new questionnaires for the health reports. Keep your info updated and try to answer the questionnaires as often as possible. If you can become administrator over all accounts involved, from the health reports you can view which side has the genetic risk for the thyroid disorder and high cholesterol that you have.
Unfortunately, my grandparents are all dead. However, I still live with both parents and I will ask them. My mom's Irish relatives have been bugging her to get the Ancestry one done since that would link them on the site.

I'm really excited about this!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,169 posts, read 4,606,209 times
Reputation: 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Unfortunately, my grandparents are all dead. However, I still live with both parents and I will ask them. My mom's Irish relatives have been bugging her to get the Ancestry one done since that would link them on the site.

I'm really excited about this!
I know that you are excited!

Let us know how it turns out. Since you know your maternal grandmother, I would still test your dad first. He will help split your relatives between maternal and paternal. Your father's info is the most unknown right now being that he is most recently adopted. Then test your mom and work back from there. One thing I can tell you about 23andMe is there are some very helpful people there, especially when you show as related to them and it's not obvious. And many are very helpful to adoption families.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
4,835 posts, read 3,541,748 times
Reputation: 6303
I was surprised to learn my dad was adopted. I was close to my grandma and honestly, we all look alike. She adopted my dad when he was a few days old.

I'm infertile and can't have children. I'm thinking about adopting when I'm ready. I can now see why my grandma was opened to my idea.

I was then surprised to hear about mom's mother. There seems to be a lot of fun ahead. I'm just hoping my dad is willing. I think he's a bit apprehensive about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 PM
 
1,717 posts, read 1,185,998 times
Reputation: 2181
Curious. How private are the results with these tests? Can the government get a hold of the tests and it affects your healthcare knowing you have a genetic issue that can crop up? Like I said, curious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top