Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 04:58 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

So I just got this email from Ancestry regarding activating multiple kits:

Quote:
Dear REDACTED,

Just a quick note to let you know that we have updated our DNA product to allow for easier and more varied roles in managing, sharing, and viewing your DNA results. These updates in roles were created to increase personal control and improve collaboration.

One of the benefits of these changes to roles is enhanced privacy controls for customers who want others to manage their DNA results. As of July 18, 2017, our process for activating multiple DNA kits will provide DNA test takers enhanced control over their information by limiting activation to one test per account. The one exception is parents, who will continue to be able to activate tests for their minor children. Our help article will give you more information.

If you are a customer who currently manages multiple DNA kits in your account, you'll continue to have access to those DNA results and there's no action for you to take.

We know that change can take a little time to get used to, so please feel free to reach out if you have questions. We hope you'll agree that these changes maintain the features you love while also making improvements that enhance individual choice and control.

Thank you,
The AncestryDNA team
I'm about to give AncestryDNA a piece of my mind if I'm reading this correctly. This seems to mean that we can no longer activate more than one DNA kit to our accounts. Apparently, Ancestry seems to think that, apart from giving users more control over their own kits, this will increase collaboration (assuming that they think that kit users with control of their samples are going to want to access their information/link with other users regularly)

In my experience dealing with others who allowed me to use their samples, this is a disaster and will not increase collaboration. Indeed, all of the samples that I have collected in the past for relatives are from people who would not otherwise have done so themselves and who have no interest in logging on and chatting with DNA matches/building a tree. I am their link to all of that. I'd guess that many have similar experiences. Thankfully this move is not retroactive, but still a very bad idea if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 06:00 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
You can still manage other kits, you just have to activate it on it's own account first, then make your other account the manager afterwards. It is annoying, but at least you can still manage other people's kits.

Unfortunately, you can complain to them all you want, it's not going to change anything. This has been in the works for at least 6 months now. The trialed it on some people back in February and when word got out, there was an uproar, tons of negative feedback, but they went through with it anyway.

Here's the discussion about it on their support forum from back in Feb: https://support.ancestry.com/s/quest...-a-requirement

Their explanation back then: "It has been Ancestry policy that only those with legal authority (such as a legal guardian) can activate a test for another user. We are making changes to reflect that policy."

Personally, I think it's a legal issue - I think Ancestry's lawyers feel that requiring tests to be activated on their own account affords them better deniability if someone accuses someone else of activating their test without permission.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Thanks for that clarification! That's very helpful and makes me less concerned. Still not the best move, IMO, but it does ease some of my concerns, if only slightly. My main remaining concern is of elder relatives that I get tested who have no internet presence. I guess I'll have to create an account for them if I'm getting them tested, etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:39 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thanks for that clarification! That's very helpful and makes me less concerned. Still not the best move, IMO, but it does ease some of my concerns, if only slightly. My main remaining concern is of elder relatives that I get tested who have no internet presence. I guess I'll have to create an account for them if I'm getting them tested, etc.
Yeah, you'll have to use/create an alternate email address, create a new (free) Ancestry account with it, activate the test, then make your normal account the manager. Very annoying and frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy