U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:37 PM
AFP

7,238 posts, read 4,700,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I have found that Middle Eastern DNA on my test results too as well. I believe is North African, since my great grandparents are Italians and Spaniards
As per MyOrigins I am 12% Middle Eastern
That is very common among southern Europeans but I've also seen it in central Europeans such as the Germans and in some English. It could be from over 1,000 years ago it doesn't necessarily indicate recent ME ancestry. I've seem people get the ME result and then go on a wild goose chase for an ancestor within the last couple of hundred years. In the case of Iberians the admixture occurred primarily in the last 400-1,000 years and most lines carry small bits of it and for most people that is beyond genealogical records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM
AFP

OP have you tried the Gedmatch's chromosome painting admixture utility? If you look at the colors and place them in a historical context it can be revealing. If you look at the segments a pattern emerges certain colors tend to cluster together.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 PM

552 posts, read 253,236 times
Sounds pretty similar to this phenotype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oAyNlAordg&t=3s

Old 08-06-2017, 09:15 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Sounds pretty similar to this phenotype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oAyNlAordg&t=3s
Those are very typical 23 & Me results for a Portuguese person. I'm not sure why you would bring up phenotype. It's not the same as baking were mixing specific ingredients results in a consistent result. Not all of one's genotype is expressed as phenotype it just doesn't work that way. Those percentages he mentioned can result in a wide array of phenotypes.

He also tries to explain away and dismiss the the estimates that aren't European, those are corroborated by Y-DNA and mtDNA which are solidly precise. There isn't a single individual that I've seen that is entirely 100% of something even with an estimate of 100%(fill in the blank) when one analyzes the chromosomes bits of different things appear.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:30 PM

552 posts, read 253,236 times
Interesting results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy