U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,407,305 times

Advertisements

That was a very interesting story and those women were dogged in their attempts to find the truth.

I've never posted in this forum before and have done no genealogy work although I'm interested in it and hope to pursue it at some point.

I was raised, for lack of a better term, as a generic white person with very rural roots in Texas and Alabama. The family surnames with which I'm familiar are Irish, Welsh, German and French. No one ever mentioned any of us having any Jewish ancestry.

However, my paternal grandfather is an unknown quantity. The story I've always heard is that he abandoned my grandmother in 1923 when she was pregnant with my father and that she never saw him again. My father met him one time as an adult in a fluke occurrence.

My daughter asked for a 23&me kit for her birthday and it showed that she is 23.5% percent Ashkenazi Jew. Anyway, it came as a bit of a surprise, but not knowing much about our family tree it wasn't super shocking. Then my husband did a kit and it came back 0% Ashkenazi Jew, but did confirm that our daughter is his daughter, which was not surprising at all. Anyway, now I'm waiting on my results and can only assume that I will have a fairly large percentage of Ashkenazi Jew DNA. I'm very curious about it but it won't rock my world like it did the people in the article because I already have a huge blank space in my family tree.

What is interesting to me though is that I know a man in my city who has the same last name as me and his family is from the area that my grandfather and grandmother lived in when my father was born. He looks like my dad and we call each other "cousin" although we're not sure that's true. Anyway, when I get my results I'm going to tell him what I find and see if he's been tested. If he turns out to be Jewish, he may be more shocked than I am. Or maybe we're not even related.

Last edited by Marlow; 07-28-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,505,763 times
That is a tremendous story, and it dispelled some things that I believed about ancestral DNA testing. Apparently it is a lot more specific than I realized.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:32 AM

25,138 posts, read 30,041,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
That is a tremendous story, and it dispelled some things that I believed about ancestral DNA testing. Apparently it is a lot more specific than I realized.
It's very specific about who is related to you by blood. What it cannot tell you is exactly how someone is related. You can share the same amount of DNA with people who are related in different ways.

You and your match must have trees worked out in order to find the common ancestors.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:56 AM

12,530 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have a sister or half sister Ive never met....She may well be a full sister and if she is, she is half Spanish , with Irish grandparents who came over to Scotland in 1900 and a Scots born mother... its sad that this lady now in her 60s will probably never know this or anything about our mother who gave her up for adoption.. Ive tried to find her but no luck..
Do you think she's in Scotland still? What have you done to find her? Have you done DNA? Looked to see if you can order her adoption records?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 AM

12,150 posts, read 5,741,803 times
Interesting article - I've always wondered why some people are so interested in finding this stuff out. Years ago when I found out my mother & father were both blood type O and I am blood type A, I realized that something was amiss because almost every article I researched on the subject said it was impossible for two O parents to have an A child. My half-brother was the only one who really knew my father's blood type and I figured maybe he was mistaken, however my father was in the hospital a lot his last few years and my brother was there while I was living out of state so he was positive my father was an O. My mother has had numerous surgeries and she is knows for certain she is an O.

I started wondering who my real father was because my father was 6'1" and I am only 5'1" while my younger sister is 5'7" tall. I am usually mistaken for Irish or French, never Italian where my sister and father definitely look Italian. Add to this I was born 5 months after the wedding and it was easy for me to feel that someone else was my father, that my mother duped my naïve father into marrying her in the 1950's.

To add to the mystery, my mother's stepfather was a short, Irish guy who married her mother when her birth father died in a work accident. My mother was probably around 7-10 years old at the time of this marriage. Shortly after my maternal grandmother died when my mother was 19, the stepfather married my mother's younger sister so he married his own stepdaughter and she was pregnant with his baby! Could it be that he had sexually abused my mother and that's why she married my father?

I asked my mother about this one day but she denied ever being abused by the stepfather but there was doubt in my mind. However, one day I came across a picture my father had sent me of his Navy days when he was about 18 or 19. When I opened the envelope I couldn't understand why my father had sent me a picture of my younger son in a Navy uniform. My youngest looks more like my father than my father's son (my half-brother).

At that point I did some more research and found that although the odds are like 1 in a million it is possible that two O parents could have an A child. Looking at my son and my father confirmed that for me. While I have sometimes been tempted to do a DNA test, I figure what good could come out of it at this point?

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 07-29-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 09:36 AM

487 posts, read 441,823 times
I wouldn't mind finding out that I'm not related to some of my relatives.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:49 AM

9,935 posts, read 16,545,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you think she's in Scotland still? What have you done to find her? Have you done DNA? Looked to see if you can order her adoption records?
Scotland is pretty uncooperative about access to their records. Even ancestry has limited access to such records. Good Luck

Old 07-29-2017, 11:52 AM

60,990 posts, read 58,245,758 times
I knew someone in the pre-Ancestry Days (90s) who had genetic testing with her husband because their baby was born with a genetic heart defect. It was corrected by surgery, but doctors wanted to determine who carried the gene.

The results came in, and the doctors said, "yoy both carry it, because you are related." They laughed and said they weren't. The doctor said, "Yes, you are." Cousins of some sort.

Both families were from Brooklyn and came from the same part of Italy, but they knew of no marriages between the two families. Apparently, a couple of generations earlier, someone had a secret.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:54 PM

50,058 posts, read 39,800,875 times
LOL I found out that in spite of all the family lore about native American princesses and Jewish folks and other possibilities to explain the thick, coarse dark hair and very dark eyes that so many of us have (me included), I am 98 percent northern European and 2 percent "European." The most exotic thing about me is that I've got a smattering of French ancestry (which I already knew about and I suspect is from northern France). I'm so white I glow in the dark apparently. Who knew? LOL

Anyway, it was interesting to find that I have Finnish and Scandinavian ancestry, and apparently a pretty hefty chunk of it because I had never heard anything about that. I did know (which was borne out via the DNA test) that I had a huge chunk of Scottish and northern English ancestry. I was surprised at how little German showed up (my maiden name is german) but it made sense when I realized that my German ancestors were male and had apparently just married one English woman after another for generations so the actual German DNA was probably very diluted when it got to me.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:24 PM

15,880 posts, read 18,675,022 times
For me, the interesting part as how the protagonist unraveled her family history. That kind of detective work in the interest of self discovery is why people who are interested in their heritage and genetics do what they do.

As for the story of a boy raised in a Bronx orphanage in the first decades of the 20th century being an Ashkenazi Jew but misled into thinking he was Irish, that is not a crazy concept to me at all. Not any more than a child raised in a Calcutta orphanage thinking he was Hindi but he was really Gujarati the whole time.

Next I should think a white American discovering they are not 12.5% Cherokee is the genetic upset of modern history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or