U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 03:30 PM

6,391 posts, read 2,574,259 times

Advertisements

"Reality" is perspective - if you go back far enough, you will not be what you think you are - so identity is falsely constructed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 03:36 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,514,762 times
I only skimmed it but I read it as a cautionary tale.

Not only did she affect her family, she affected the Jewish family, as bloodlines are very important in Judaism.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:46 PM

27,075 posts, read 54,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I found out that in spite of all the family lore about native American princesses and Jewish folks and other possibilities to explain the thick, coarse dark hair and very dark eyes that so many of us have (me included), I am 98 percent northern European and 2 percent "European." The most exotic thing about me is that I've got a smattering of French ancestry (which I already knew about and I suspect is from northern France). I'm so white I glow in the dark apparently. Who knew? LOL

Anyway, it was interesting to find that I have Finnish and Scandinavian ancestry, and apparently a pretty hefty chunk of it because I had never heard anything about that. I did know (which was borne out via the DNA test) that I had a huge chunk of Scottish and northern English ancestry. I was surprised at how little German showed up (my maiden name is german) but it made sense when I realized that my German ancestors were male and had apparently just married one English woman after another for generations so the actual German DNA was probably very diluted when it got to me.
It does make for an interesting look back...

No surprises in mine... and family lore proved correct... I remember sitting on my Grandfather's lap asking about all the Great Great etc in the family... if only I had a tape recorder back then but at age 7 all I could to was listen...

A great regret of mine was when my Grandfather made one last trip home and he offered to take me with him... and I wanted to in the worst way... he was going to show me where he grew up, the old cemetery, etc... I was 10 and my parents and grandmother said I was too young and next time... well there would not be a next time...

Some of the old records also coincide with the stories he told me about his side of the family... could really be related to royalty out of wedlock... all the godparents of a great/great were from that family but the father was unknown... makes one wonder or at least makes me wonder...

Kathryn... I remember when you had your picture in your profile and to say you are beautiful would not do you justice...

Old 07-29-2017, 05:49 PM

50,010 posts, read 39,777,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It does make for an interesting look back...

No surprises in mine... and family lore proved correct... I remember sitting on my Grandfather's lap asking about all the Great Great etc in the family... if only I had a tape recorder back then but at age 7 all I could to was listen...

A great regret of mine was when my Grandfather made one last trip home and he offered to take me with him... and I wanted to in the worst way... he was going to show me where he grew up, the old cemetery, etc... I was 10 and my parents and grandmother said I was too young and next time... well there would not be a next time...

Some of the old records also coincide with the stories he told me about his side of the family... could really be related to royalty out of wedlock... all the godparents of a great/great were from that family but the father was unknown... makes one wonder or at least makes me wonder...

Kathryn... I remember when you had your picture in your profile and to say you are beautiful would not do you justice...
Wow, thank you! Hey, I try!

Don't you just wish you could go back in time? I wish I could record the old folks sitting around talking. I wish I'd asked my grandmother a lot more questions about her relatives and ancestors, especially her mother and dad. I wish I wish I wish...

I think all that ancestry stuff is very interesting. I've had people ask me if I was disappointed because there wasn't anything more exotic in my family tree, but I think, "What could be more exciting than settling in a new country? Fighting in wars that determined so much? Braving the ocean in a wooden ship for months and then getting off that ship in Indian territory?" I mean, wow - what's not to be interested in?

I do know that a lot of my ancestors came from along the Scottish border with England. Bet they could tell some stories!

I love all this history! All those lives, so many stories...it's really amazing to think about, isn't it?

Old 07-29-2017, 06:07 PM

27,075 posts, read 54,279,688 times
Yep... I am the only one in the family fascinated by the past.

Many years ago all of the grand kids got equal amounts of silver dollars... only two of us have them as the others were quickly sold.

They had belonged to my uncle and not particularly sentimental but don't take up much space and I have given some individual ones to children on occasion.

I think what many over look when the reply is memories over things is the things are what often triggers memories... especially as one gets older and memory fades... we often need a cue as a recall aid.

As for family history... sometimes it can be very profitable in unconventional ways... maybe a book or move scrip or a connection to that enriches the lives of all...

My brother's neighbor recently found out she has a half sister... they are both in their 50's... she only found out when she was going through the family papers after her Mom passed.

For whatever reason... neither knew of the other... all the parents and grandparents are gone... the older sister is born and raised in Germany and the father was stationed there... they have become good friends and only family each has going back...

My neighbor mom came to California after getting pregnant and the guy would not marry her... she had an aunt her so 70 years ago came to California for a fresh start with her infant son...

No connection... well the father in Indiana passed away and the his kids found some letters and decided to see where it would lead... they made contact and offered to share the estate 4 ways to a total stranger... and that is what happened...

The California son passed single and with no kids... he left his estate to the his Indiana niceness and nephew...

Just proves sometimes one good deed leads to another.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 PM

31,663 posts, read 49,132,107 times
My father was born in early 1900s in central Texas--
Told us--his two daughters--that he had "Indian blood" and was proud of it...
My sister did good deal of genealogy research on his and my mom's sides and could find NO Indian (Native American) heritage for my dad....my mom who never claimed any had Creek, Cherokee, and Choctaw like 5 or 6 generations back...
My dad was so disappointed---he about refused to believe her research although she took his family back to pre-Revolutionary War...

His mother died when he was an infant and he and his older sister were raised by his father's mom and dad...when his father remarried a few years later--that stepmother did have Native American roots--but of course my dad was no blood relation...

Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,200,254 times
Back in the day religious culture ran deep in society and you just didn't talk about fraternizing with THOSE OTHER PEOPLE. Denial was built right into society.

I had a friends' grandfather die and the estate was contested by the young, second wife. PROVE you're related was her position. It was only after the family was about to give up that two elderly aunts came forward with the "born out of wedlock" information, a major stigma at the time. Therefore, the granddad was actually two years older than the record, so no record could be found at the prairie county building.

In Quebec the only women from France were either nuns or the wife of the main "Signeour" of the colony. How then, did all those BABIES happen??? Spontaneous combustion? You just didn't talk or admit anything, especially the RC's.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 PM

21,981 posts, read 12,999,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I only skimmed it but I read it as a cautionary tale.

Not only did she affect her family, she affected the Jewish family, as bloodlines are very important in Judaism.
No one wants to think about a member of their family being mistakenly sent home with the wrong family, and your family raising the "wrong" child. But Jewish descent is traced through the mother. Since it was a boy, as long as he married a Jewish woman, his children would still be Jewish even if he technically wasn't so the impact wouldn't really go beyond that one man.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 AM

12,523 posts, read 22,513,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No one wants to think about a member of their family being mistakenly sent home with the wrong family, and your family raising the "wrong" child. But Jewish descent is traced through the mother. Since it was a boy, as long as he married a Jewish woman, his children would still be Jewish even if he technically wasn't so the impact wouldn't really go beyond that one man.
I love stories like this, it has to be one of the better ones I've read. Thanks so much for sharing it.

I know nothing about the Jewish religion. Phillip Benson (Irish baby raised Jewish) married a Jewish woman so their children are still Jewish from her side.

In the article, Phillip Benson had to prove to his fiance's parents that he was in fact Jewish by showing them his birth certificate, which turned out to be issued to the wrong child. The fiance's parents knew he wasn't Jewish. What if they had told him they won't accept his birth certificate to marry their daughter?

I do wonder how it's affected both families, and if they have been successful in amending the birth certificates. I wonder if Jim Collins (supposedly Irish, really Jewish) mother didn't die when he was little if she would have wondered whether her baby was switched at the hospital? His father put the kids in orphanages after she passed, then he too passed a few years later. Family knew he was not similar, they pretty much blamed things on him being malnourished while being at the orphanages.

Quote:
Plebuch and Pam Benson took to calling each other “swapcuz,” though in fact they share no genetic relation. And now Plebuch discovered she had a real new first cousin: Phylis Pullman, the daughter of the biological sister Jim never knew. In late 2015, Plebuch flew to Florida to meet her. Sitting at opposite ends of a couch, the diminutive women were like mirror images; they could have been sisters.

Pullman told her the family story of how, when her tall Uncle Phillip was courting his first wife, her observant Jewish parents didn’t believe he could possibly be a member of the tribe.

“He had to bring his birth certificate,” says Pullman. “Little did we know it wasn’t his birth certificate.”

Old 07-30-2017, 08:58 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,514,762 times
It would have been worse had this been a girl baby that had been switched, from a traditional Jewish perspective

But back to the story, since the switched baby's mother wasn't Jewish, he wasn't Jewish and they had to grapple with that

Quote:
Pam Benson’s late father was a Jew, only he wasn’t, and sometimes her daughter would come home and catch Pam crying over what he would have thought of this. How were she and Plebuch to reconcile that their fathers weren’t what they thought they were? And, for that matter, what were they? Was Jim Collins a Jewish man because he was born that way, or an Irishman because he was raised one?
It seemed that the other family had an easier time dealing with that identity part for their father. He could be "Irish" by thinking he was Irish. He was Catholic by virtue of being baptized.

The part that struck me was that the Jewish family didn't go looking for this. It kind of fell into their lap because of the other woman getting her results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or