Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:18 AM
bjh

59,673 posts, read 30,160,871 times

Advertisements

Story is also carried by the Chicago Tribune: She thought she was Irish

Very interesting, well worth the read. Thanks, OP, for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 PM

23,783 posts, read 33,224,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
It would have been worse had this been a girl baby that had been switched, from a traditional Jewish perspective

But back to the story, since the switched baby's mother wasn't Jewish, he wasn't Jewish and they had to grapple with that

It seemed that the other family had an easier time dealing with that identity part for their father. He could be "Irish" by thinking he was Irish. He was Catholic by virtue of being baptized.

The part that struck me was that the Jewish family didn't go looking for this. It kind of fell into their lap because of the other woman getting her results.
Being Irish was very important to her dad as he had an Irish funeral

She's heart broken the other child lived a great life while her dad lived in an orphanage.

Very heart breaking for both sides

Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM

760 posts, read 760,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I can't read it either. Apparently, I've used up my Washington Post quota for the period.
Usually you can clear cookies for that site and it resets you back to having not read before

Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM

Since I was adopted in 1959 in sealed records NY state, it was only via DNA thru ancestry.com that I found my birth mom, 2 cousins, and a brother I never knew. I never would have found them without the DNA test because I never had any name to search for and no clue other than mom was 18.

As it happened the DNA test matched me to a 2nd and a 3rd cousin, and it was a volunteer who figured out which ancestor in their trees we shared, as soon as that name came up a simple search for who else on ancestry had a tree with that name in it brought up mom's tree she had put up.

Mom didn't take the DNA test she had only registered for an account, so the match was made because she put up a family tree with that ancesors' name in it that DID match!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

As for the story of a boy raised in a Bronx orphanage in the first decades of the 20th century being an Ashkenazi Jew but misled into thinking he was Irish,
I grew up being told I was 100% Italian, then the ancestry.com test showed otherwise, that of the major percentages I was 37% Irish and 24% Italian.
Now that I know my family tree, I can't trace it further back because it goes to Ireland and records are very hard to find there.
Since a grandmother came over from Ireland with her new married name, Ive been unable to find what her maiden name was, she HAD to apply for immigration which was approved 2 years later, so she had to have put down her maiden name on the application form but I don't know if those records are accessable.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:48 PM

7,640 posts, read 5,410,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Ive been unable to find what her maiden name was, she HAD to apply for immigration which was approved 2 years later, so she had to have put down her maiden name on the application form but I don't know if those records are accessable.
Do you have her death record? That may list her parents, with her mother listed with her maiden name. Of course, that assumes that the relative providing the information after death knows the maiden name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy