U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,470,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
We were talking about the possibility of back migration N, and L3 were among the mtDNA samples extracted from Neolithic remains at the Tell Halula site. It really would help if Full Sequence(FMS) was done on those samples. Could this be an L3 line that went extinct? FMS on all of the samples would clarify some things.

Quoted from Wikipedia article "Eva Fernández Domínguez extracted samples of mitochondrial DNA from human bones from Tell Halula as part of the studies for her PhD thesis accepted at the University of Barcelona in 2005. The methodology used was later superseded, so a first publication of the results in 2008 was corrected in a subsequent publication in 2014. In the latter publication the mtDNA haplogroups were given as U, R0, K, HV, H, N and L3" End Quote

The study is in Catalan I don't read Catalan perhaps someone here does. I can think of one member that does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_Halula#Ancient_DNA
Hence my interest in perhaps a Semitic language from The Horn or East Africa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:22 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,470,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I need to investigate further. Which branch of H5 are you H5a is found in Europe and appears to be linked to the Neolithic migration with a concentration in Wales. Haplogroups don't reliably correlate to "race", there are many examples of individuals that identify as black with maternal and paternal haplogroups that originate in Eurasia and there are examples of individuals who identify as white with mtDNA's that originate in Sub-Saharan Africa. But tbh I don't have an interest in a discussion about race they end up attracting people with rigid toxic opinions that have no interest in dialogue or learning and lead to the same old tired exchanges.

Quoted from Wikipedia(need to find a study, no time right now) "H5 has been dated to around 11,500 BP (9500 BC).[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE] It appears to be most frequent and diverse in the Western Caucasus, so an origin there has been suggested, while its subclade H5a appears European.[SIZE=2][5][/SIZE] However samples of mtDNA with T16304C in the HVR1 region have been found in four individuals of around 6800 BC from the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B site of Tell Halula, Syria,[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE] suggesting that H5 may have arrived in the Caucasus with farmers from the Near East." end quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_H5_(mtDNA)

Via 23andMe and other sources when I got my haplogroup report. And yes, it IS hard to find info on H5.

New map of mtDNA haplogroup H5

Yeah, thanks for this map, it's usually pretty hard to find detailed info about H5.

The map is pretty surprising though, as 23andme's H5 map shows a hotspot in Lebanon and Syria, while yours doesn't. I reckon there might be a branch from the original H5 population which migrated south instead of west... would you happen to have any info about this, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or