U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,462,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you haven't tested with AncestryDNA then you can't comment on whether it is better for adoptees than 23andMe or not.

Responding to an adoptee is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about actually identifying an unknown bio parent. Have you ever done that? If not, then you don't know what it requires. I have. I found my grandfather's bio father. I know what is involved and I know that trees are a big necessity so to test at a company that don't even support them is a disadvantage for people looking for a bio parent. As someone who has first hand experience with this and tested at both 23andMe and AncestryDNA, my advice is coming from more experience than yours.

As for health reports - one can test with AncestryDNA get a health report for only $5 from Promethease, I found it more comprehensive and detailed than the current one from 23andMe.

It doesn't "hurt" - it's just not helpful when people don't respond and you won't get very far when they don't.
We will agree to disagree. I will not respond to you again, no matter how you quote me.

I think that I understand where you come from and I don't personally agree with it. And I am sure that we aren't related so to me, this isn't a big deal.To.ME.

Best of luck to you. I personally don't find it hard to find relevant ancestors. I completely understand that we all do these tests for different reasons and I cannot assume that someone else's motives matched my own. And I respect that. Absolutely. I.RESPECT.THAT.

Some people do these tests as a favor to family members and have no interest in pursuing matches. I'd rather communicate with people of like mind to my own goals. Water kinda rises to its own level by most accounts.

I find the same with my DNA matches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 AM

12,535 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Quote:
If you haven't tested with AncestryDNA then you can't comment on whether it is better for adoptees than 23andMe or not.

Responding to an adoptee is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about actually identifying an unknown bio parent. Have you ever done that? If not, then you don't know what it requires. I have. I found my grandfather's bio father. I know what is involved and I know that trees are a big necessity so to test at a company that don't even support them is a disadvantage for people looking for a bio parent. As someone who has first hand experience with this and tested at both 23andMe and AncestryDNA, my advice is coming from more experience than yours.

As for health reports - one can test with AncestryDNA get a health report for only $5 from Promethease, I found it more comprehensive and detailed than the current one from 23andMe.

It doesn't "hurt" - it's just not helpful when people don't respond and you won't get very far when they don't.
Adoptees and bio parents are fortunate to be able to do DNA to see if there is a match. Back when I found out my mother placed her son for adoption in 1960 there was not many places to register. Once I started using a computer and finding databases, I registered at every one; finally finding him at adoption reunion.

I also suggest ancestry to adoptees then to upload to the free sites, they're lucky that they can upload to Family Tree DNA for free family matching then for $19 they get the other features. I also suggest they test with 23 and me if they do not have luck finding matches because I know a lot of people tested with 23 and me years ago.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM

9,254 posts, read 14,288,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Adoptees and bio parents are fortunate to be able to do DNA to see if there is a match. Back when I found out my mother placed her son for adoption in 1960 there was not many places to register. Once I started using a computer and finding databases, I registered at every one; finally finding him at adoption reunion.

I also suggest ancestry to adoptees then to upload to the free sites, they're lucky that they can upload to Family Tree DNA for free family matching then for $19 they get the other features. I also suggest they test with 23 and me if they do not have luck finding matches because I know a lot of people tested with 23 and me years ago.
Absolutely, if someone has the money and inclination, they should test at both AncestryDNA and 23andMe and then upload to FTDNA, MyHeritage, etc. But I don't like to assume that everyone has $200 to spare on two tests, I've met people who don't even really have the money for one. If you can only splurge for one, I would go with AncestryDNA.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM

12,535 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Quote:
Absolutely, if someone has the money and inclination, they should test at both AncestryDNA and 23andMe and then upload to FTDNA, MyHeritage, etc. But I don't like to assume that everyone has $200 to spare on two tests, I've met people who don't even really have the money for one. If you can only splurge for one, I would go with AncestryDNA.
Exactly. The more they test, the more chances of a match. At some point My Heritage is going to give surnames.

For those with a limited budget; tests seem to be cheapest from black Friday to New years

I haven't done 23 and me yet because I want to do the health too. If I did the test without health then did health later on its an additional $25.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM

360 posts, read 267,777 times
Does 23 and me provide the countries of origin or just the regions?
I know the regions of my heritage but not the exact countries.
Thanks in advance to who provides an answer.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:13 PM

8,132 posts, read 4,434,348 times
Regions is all I got -- countries really don't mean a great deal because boundaries are so changeable over just a few hundred years. "Balkans" could be Austria, Hungary,Ottoman (Turkish) Empire, Yugoslavia, Serbia, Montenegro... whoever held the territory at the time.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM

360 posts, read 267,777 times
Thanks. For me knowing exact countries would have been helpful. In the balkans there are many countries and everyone is different for colours.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:54 AM

379 posts, read 313,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

If they are actually your relatives, then adding the common relatives to their tree is not really stealing. My tree would be pitiful without the help of several third cousins who gave me an enormous amount of material, including pictures. I am forever grateful for their generosity and try to pay it forward.
This 100%.

A fair amount of my tree has been fleshed out through the help of cousins. For that, and a few other reasons, I am more than happy to share my research and data with anyone even remotely related to me.

I have run across quite a few times where people said, Uncle so-and-so collected all of this data on our family and then died without sharing it (just had this exact experience again this past weekend). What a waste when we know records get destroyed daily.

Share, people, share. It can only help in the long run.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 AM

379 posts, read 313,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
People are not DNA Grinches. I do believe people take issues with incorrect tree matches, especially at Ancestry. If I have never tested at Ancestry then there is no reason for anyone to be connecting to my tree out of the clear blue sky. There is NO DNA evidence to connect to. And when it is certainly made up, I have a reason to take issue with it. My uncle up tree did not leave his wife and children to move to PA as a descendant of slaves, married a white woman, and had lily white children. It just didn't happen when we KNOW he was still in MS with his family. These people simply had the wrong line and was matching on name alone. And to this day, I believe all of that is STILL wrong.
Ancestry was around long before the DNA tests and it had really become THE place to go for access to a wide range of documents. Most trees there are built on that data, not DNA tests, so yes of course most connections to public trees are not made based in DNA...that doesn't make those connections wrong. Sure we all (or most of us anyway) make assumptions about the data, add a person to our tree, and later we find out the relationship is not real or more nuanced than we initially expected, but that is what happens in research. Ancestry in fact makes it much easier to discern these problems only after you add the person to the tree. Their hints and other suggestions only really work if you have data of a person in your tree. So right or wrong (and I come down on the side that it is more right than wrong), they encourage people to make those assumptions however false they might be later on.

That being said...in my 25 years of research, I have run across many NPEs: affairs, second and third families, incest, teenage dalliances etc etc. Humans are forever being human. The records only show one story. The DNA may or may not confirm that. A man can easily have been home with family most days of his life, but war or a travel for work or trade or some big regional gathering gave him opportunities to be away from home and hearth. More than a few NPEs have occurred because of those scenarios. I have helped people research their trees only to find this. I never assume people behaved any differently than they do today (except to the extent that they thought no one would be the wiser and so opportunities were perhaps more ripe for the taking).

My own family has a number of points where 3-4 cousins, all born within a year or two of each other, were given the exact same name. I don't blame anyone for thinking and confusing John Smith in NC born in 1798 and John Smith born in 1796 in SC (made up names for illustration). I have cursed our love for the name William more times than I can count. That means though that I totally understand when someone else thinks my John Smith is their John Smith who moved to KY. Either I or they will eventually figure out that these folks aren't the same person (or we do in fact find out that they are), but I don't make assumptions about their research. We are all at different points in the same path. I tell them what I know and hope it helps. They tell me what they know and I research it to see if it makes any sense. That doesn't make Ancestry crappy. I would argue it actually makes it better.

I did in fact find a 3G-grand uncle who moved his family away from VA and out to MO. He seems to have been the only one who did this. The rest of the family moved en masse to TN around 1810 and then half the family went on to Arkansas in 1850-ish, but no one else went to MO so when his name popped up first in AR and then later in MO, I thought it couldn't be the same guy, but when I dug deeper I found that even though one of his kids moved back to TN, the rest of his family stayed in MO. And in fact, one his descendants is in my DNA relatives list. It happens. It is actually one of the great things about this research...to figure out why people did what they did. At least I find that part endlessly curious. :-)

Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,288,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Does 23 and me provide the countries of origin or just the regions?
I know the regions of my heritage but not the exact countries.
Thanks in advance to who provides an answer.
It's not possible to narrow it down to a country - for starters, political country borders have changed so much over history, and secondly because people in neighboring countries have been mixing so much, they share too much DNA to accurately tell them apart.

Here's a spreadsheet showing/comparing the ethnic break down from the popular companies: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...CjlohG/pubhtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy