U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 PM

25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You said "direct to consumer advertising" which I took to mean how they advertised for selling tests, not necessarily what they said in their reports/results after testing.
We were discussing the health reports specifically. Sorry I was not more clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 01:33 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,376,393 times
I think I’m going to do the test. They are running a special through 4/25.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:53 PM

7,157 posts, read 3,982,083 times
My younger daughter did her's through Family Tree. It was very specific, and matched my 40 year paper trail genealogy of both my family and her Dad's back to the 17th Century in Europe.

I did a special two'fer for my older daughter and myself with 23 and Me. My daughter's was all over the place and not very specific like her sister's. Mine came back that they could not read it. Problem with my password. I spent over an hour on the phone with them trying to order a new kit, which they never sent (3 months ago).

I do not know if it is worth me bothering to go with another DNA sample, although my daughters are insisting I try again. The only thing I would get is a greater percentage of my daughters results from what I already know of my own ancestors, minus their Dad's side.

If I do decide to try again, it will probably be with Ancestry since I have already downloaded my tree on to their site, and have been contacted by one person from there. I knew decades ago (records proof) my Great-Grandpa had a son out of wedlock, but found out through Ancestry he also had a daughter out of wedlock too.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 PM

7,157 posts, read 3,982,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, it is not false.

The FDA never questioned the accuracy of the tests. 23AndMe did not follow FDA rules before they marketed the test, and the FDA did not like the direct to consumer advertising.
Honestly, I cannot see the point in all this. I have many a death certificate going back over a century, which back then can be very non specific in today's modern medicine. Example? My Maternal Great-Grandma's DC lists "Senility" as cause of death. I would take that to mean Dementia/Alzheimers. Ok, inherited? Maybe based on age. However, my Uncle's says "Crib Death". SIDS today? What does that mean? We still do not know.

Put it into the context of the times, and certainly the age of the person. If someone died of a heart attack at 90, far different than a person dying of a heart attack in their 30's.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:16 PM

12,639 posts, read 22,585,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My younger daughter did her's through Family Tree. It was very specific, and matched my 40 year paper trail genealogy of both my family and her Dad's back to the 17th Century in Europe.

I did a special two'fer for my older daughter and myself with 23 and Me. My daughter's was all over the place and not very specific like her sister's. Mine came back that they could not read it. Problem with my password. I spent over an hour on the phone with them trying to order a new kit, which they never sent (3 months ago).

I do not know if it is worth me bothering to go with another DNA sample, although my daughters are insisting I try again. The only thing I would get is a greater percentage of my daughters results from what I already know of my own ancestors, minus their Dad's side.

If I do decide to try again, it will probably be with Ancestry since I have already downloaded my tree on to their site, and have been contacted by one person from there. I knew decades ago (records proof) my Great-Grandpa had a son out of wedlock, but found out through Ancestry he also had a daughter out of wedlock too.
Someone on Websleuths tested twice at 23 and me but for some reason they can't get her DNA from it

Since you've done it at FTDNA, consider uploading to my heritage and GEDmatch free. See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...tructions.html

Old 04-21-2018, 06:46 AM

4,077 posts, read 1,976,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

I had the same issue with 23&Me. They took forever until they informed me they could not read the sample. They did send me another kit and that worked. Keep at it... you already paid.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 PM

9,256 posts, read 14,319,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibginniemodridiotcrackay View Post
23andMe and the other ones are far better than ancestry.com...
In terms of finding family members and building a tree (which is what this topic is about), AncestryDNA is the best option because they have, by far, the biggest database of testers, therefore a greater chance of finding close family members. They also host family trees, which is essential to figuring out how you relate to a DNA match - 23andMe no longer support family trees so you have to constantly contact all your matches and ask if they have a tree hosted somewhere else...

Old 04-25-2018, 09:14 AM

52 posts, read 18,370 times
DNA test are the best way to bother individuals.
I wonder how people like to suffer and not enjoy their life.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:14 PM

4,077 posts, read 1,976,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
In terms of finding family members and building a tree (which is what this topic is about), AncestryDNA is the best option because they have, by far, the biggest database of testers, therefore a greater chance of finding close family members. They also host family trees, which is essential to figuring out how you relate to a DNA match - 23andMe no longer support family trees so you have to constantly contact all your matches and ask if they have a tree hosted somewhere else...
Actually, 23 has a place where you can put in a link to a tree you have somewhere else. It shows up on the page where you see your DNA relatives.

(But yes, you have to look somewhere else for it)

Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM

9,256 posts, read 14,319,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talcos View Post
DNA test are the best way to bother individuals.
I wonder how people like to suffer and not enjoy their life.
Lol, that seems extreme - if you're really THAT unhappy being contacted by DNA matches, you can opt out of matching, which means no one will see you on their match list and therefore no one will contact you. This seem a much more sensible solution than whining about how it's ruining your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy