U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 14,327,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Actually, 23 has a place where you can put in a link to a tree you have somewhere else. It shows up on the page where you see your DNA relatives.

(But yes, you have to look somewhere else for it)
Yes you can put a link in your profile, but 23andMe doesn't host the trees, and so most people don't put an external link in their profile. Lots of people don't even have a tree set up somewhere, so if they wanted to, they'd have to look elsewhere to do it, and most people don't bother, etc. At AncestryDNA, they prompt people to build a tree while they wait for their results to come in, and make it super easy for people to do so (not everyone does, but making it easy does make people more likely to do it). Also, not having the trees internally on 23andMe means it's harder to compare them. AncestryDNA makes it incredibly easy to integrate the DNA with the trees for a more seamless workflow that yields more success more quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 07:31 AM

52 posts, read 18,391 times
It is true, thanks.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 AM

7,403 posts, read 5,004,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I had the same issue with 23&Me. They took forever until they informed me they could not read the sample. They did send me another kit and that worked. Keep at it... you already paid.
My second sample failed as well. Their email said there was not enough DNA and they’re sending me a full refund. I followed the instructions carefully both times. Anyone have thoughts on how to increase the odds of a sample including sufficient DNA?

Old 05-10-2018, 01:28 PM

25,423 posts, read 30,184,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My second sample failed as well. Their email said there was not enough DNA and they’re sending me a full refund. I followed the instructions carefully both times. Anyone have thoughts on how to increase the odds of a sample including sufficient DNA?
You might try Family Tree DNA. I believe it uses a swab to collect the sample, not spit.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM

7,403 posts, read 5,004,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You might try Family Tree DNA. I believe it uses a swab to collect the sample, not spit.
Thanks, I’ll give that one a try. I’m also planning a new criminal career. Between not shedding much DNA, I also have no fingerprints other than some swirls on my thumbs. I found that out when I was applying for a TSA account. The guy trying to get my prints said it’s become pretty common for some peoples finger pads to be smooth due to the amount of time they spend on a keyboard. Since I’ve been a programmer for almost 40 years, it makes sense!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 PM

5,264 posts, read 8,480,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Thanks, I’ll give that one a try. I’m also planning a new criminal career. Between not shedding much DNA, I also have no fingerprints other than some swirls on my thumbs. I found that out when I was applying for a TSA account. The guy trying to get my prints said it’s become pretty common for some peoples finger pads to be smooth due to the amount of time they spend on a keyboard. Since I’ve been a programmer for almost 40 years, it makes sense!
LOL. That is funny. But yeah, maybe try a swab test . Myheritage is a swab test as well.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 AM

52 posts, read 18,391 times
My heritage was a good one to discover the ethnicity.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 14,327,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talcos View Post
My heritage was a good one to discover the ethnicity.
MyHeritage are the worst for ethnicity, in my experience. There are exceptions, of course, it does depend on the individual sometimes... but for the most part, it seems to be the most inaccurate.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:58 PM

5,264 posts, read 8,480,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
MyHeritage are the worst for ethnicity, in my experience. There are exceptions, of course, it does depend on the individual sometimes... but for the most part, it seems to be the most inaccurate.
My experience of managing 7 accounts is that MyHeritage struggles with people of mixed ethnicity, but excels at identifying people of one ethnicity.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:18 PM

877 posts, read 894,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Which is much more time consuming and difficult - most people on 23andMe never respond. Some people don't respond at other companies too, but I find the response rate is much lower at 23andMe. As you self admittedly don't have your DNA at any other company, and I'm guessing you've never searched for an unknown bio parent from DNA, perhaps you don't have the experience to make an informed comparison.
Agreed. Of the multiple cases where I've tested both at 23andme and Ancestry DNA (and FTDNA imported as well) I find the 23andme response rate much lower. Many seem just interested in health and not genealogy.

Of course, not that it isn't worth doing, but it's good for people to have appropriate expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy