Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:02 AM

360 posts, read 369,266 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Did someone use this website to know the exact family tree?
I mean exactly names and last names of mother and father.
Thanks on advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 AM

360 posts, read 369,266 times
If yes, which option is the best to know the exact family tree?
How much money did you spend?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:04 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,898,119 times
The DNA sites do not build a family tree for you. You have to do that yourself.

DNA matches will tell you who you are related to and approximately how close a relative is, but you will obviously not find a match with people who have not even tested.

Are you adopted? Why are you trying to find names of your parents?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,241,735 times
23andme doesnt do family trees.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 PM

10,194 posts, read 17,731,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Hi,
Did someone use this website to know the exact family tree?
I mean exactly names and last names of mother and father.
Thanks on advance
As mentioned, no DNA test will create your family tree for you with exact names. The only way it could give you your parent's names is if those parents happened to have taken the DNA test (and at the same company you did). Since that's very unlikely, I don't think the DNA is going to do what you're expecting it to.

Are you adopted and looking for your biological parents? A DNA test has potential to help you find your bio family, but it takes a combination of luck and a lot of hard work. The results aren't going to come back and just say "You're the child of so-and-so." It doesn't work that way.

If you decided to take the DNA test anyway, I would not recommend 23andMe since as it was also mentioned - 23andMe no longer supports family trees. In order to get anywhere in determining how you are related to your DNA matches, you need to see their trees. I recommend testing with AncestryDNA, then uploading your raw DNA data to FamilyTreeDNA for $19, and MyHeritage and Gedmatch for free. That will provide you with the most matches for your money. AncestryDNA is normally $99, but they often have sales during holidays - keep an eye out.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,137,226 times
lol.

Anyone looking to build a tree from DNA testing has a certain type of need.

23andMe can help with ancestry and a family tree. You just have to talk to people.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,731,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
lol.

Anyone looking to build a tree from DNA testing has a certain type of need.

23andMe can help with ancestry and a family tree. You just have to talk to people.
Which is much more time consuming and difficult - most people on 23andMe never respond. Some people don't respond at other companies too, but I find the response rate is much lower at 23andMe. As you self admittedly don't have your DNA at any other company, and I'm guessing you've never searched for an unknown bio parent from DNA, perhaps you don't have the experience to make an informed comparison.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:09 AM

23,787 posts, read 33,229,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As mentioned, no DNA test will create your family tree for you with exact names. The only way it could give you your parent's names is if those parents happened to have taken the DNA test (and at the same company you did). Since that's very unlikely, I don't think the DNA is going to do what you're expecting it to.

Are you adopted and looking for your biological parents? A DNA test has potential to help you find your bio family, but it takes a combination of luck and a lot of hard work. The results aren't going to come back and just say "You're the child of so-and-so." It doesn't work that way.

If you decided to take the DNA test anyway, I would not recommend 23andMe since as it was also mentioned - 23andMe no longer supports family trees. In order to get anywhere in determining how you are related to your DNA matches, you need to see their trees. I recommend testing with AncestryDNA, then uploading your raw DNA data to FamilyTreeDNA for $19, and MyHeritage and Gedmatch for free. That will provide you with the most matches for your money. AncestryDNA is normally $99, but they often have sales during holidays - keep an eye out.
Family Tree DNA is a free autosomal transfer that gives free family matching. For $19 more they will give you myOrigins, ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. I've uploaded my Ancestry DNA raw data but have not paid the $19 so I can't comment on it.

Below is info from my blog Family tree and DNA general instructions for each DNA site along with a description and which sites allow free uploads and how to do it. I also have info on what each site offers with family trees which should help you decide which site you'd like to make a tree on. I personally use Ancestry, it's been easy to manage my tree and work with our DNA that we did. I've tested myself, my hub, my 2 kids and my kids grandmothers. What I like about Ancestry is that their DNA is attached to their entry on my family tree.

If you've already done DNA at 23 and me, see the directions below on how to save your raw data to upload to the free sites.

Now to the DNA
Quote:
How to access and download your autosomal DNA results from AncestryDNA once you're ready to upload to other sites.

1. Navigate to the Ancestry.com website homepage.
2. In the upper-right corner, click Sign In to display the sign in window.
3. In the Username or email field, enter your username or email.
4. In the Password field, enter your password.
5. Click Sign In. Your Ancestry home page is displayed.
6. On the menu bar, click DNA > Your DNA Results Summary. The AncestryDNA home page is displayed.
7. On the right side of the page, click Settings. Your Test Settings page is displayed.
8. Scroll down the page.
9. On the right side of the page, in the Download your raw DNA data section, click Get Started. The Download your raw DNA data window is displayed.
10. Enter your password in the empty field.
11. Click Confirm. A window requesting that you check your email is displayed.
12. Check your email for an email from AncestryDNA with the subject line Your request to download AncestryDNA raw data.
13. In the email, click Confirm Data Download. You will be redirected to the Ancestry.com website.
14. Enter your username or email and password in the appropriate fields, and click Sign In. The Download DNA Raw Data page is displayed.
15. Click Download DNA Raw Data to download your raw data file. Note where you save the file on your computer

23andme Accessing your Raw Data

FTDNA Accessing your Raw Data to upload to GEDmatch

23 and me offers 2 tests, one for family finder ($99) and another for health ($200). If you do the family finder without health and you're interested in doing the health later on it will cost you an extra $25 so be aware of that. They do not support uploads from other sites.

Ancestry DNA - costs $99 plus $10 shipping. They do not allow uploads from other companies. Tests normally go on sale mothers and father's day, black Friday $69 and the Christmas holiday $79. I have a coupon code in my 1st post here I believe where it's $89 but you have to add the $10 shipping to it. It's very easy to buy more tests to add it to the people in your tree.

Family Tree DNA costs $79 or you can transfer your Ancestry DNA or 23 and Me autosomal DNA data to discover new matches for free. For $19 more they will give you myOrigins, ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. I haven't done it yet. I plan to do it at some point so I can get the experience. I have directions on how to upload multiple raw data files at FTDNA in case anyone gets stuck. Once you have the 1st one uploaded and have electronically signed it, logout of FamilyTreeDNA, then select the drop down box "DNA Tests" and select the "Autosomal Transfer". Fill out First Name and Last name of the person who's test you will be uploading and select if they are male or female and then enter your email address if you are the person who will administer this account. It will then assign you a new kit number and email you a new password for the kit. Then it will proceed to the upload DNA page. Make sure you look for the password email. You're going to get one for each sample you upload. You have to upload your family tree GEDcom file for each sample which is a pain in the butt but over all it's been a good experience. Directions page in case anyone needs it.

My Heritage DNA is normally $99 but they're selling it for $79. They're a new company so you may not get many matches. They allow free uploads from Ancestry, 23 and me and FTDNA. June 2017 - New, they now give free ethnicity estimates. I won a kit from My Heritage for a founders project. They were interested in me because my family has lived in Hungary for a long time. I got my ethnicity report from it, I'm 96.3% East European and 3.7% Italian. It took 6 months, they wouldn't release it until they were done analyzing data from everyone that was in the project. They did give me DNA matches, I only have 5 where on FTDNA and Ancestry I have a lot more. To upload your DNA from another company, go to your profile, you will see the DNA tab where you can upload your raw data. They're saying they will eventually be charging to upload raw data. They're also going to add a surname feature where they will give surnames at some point. To upload DNA to another person in your tree, find them on the tree then click their name, it will open a box on the left that has the link to upload.

GEDmatch where you can upload both your DNA and a GEDcom file; look for matches and do all sorts of things with finding out your ethnicity that's more involved then any of the other companies. They go back to hunter-gatherer. GEDmatch upload in case you can't find it. It only takes a few minutes to upload the DNA, then you can play around with the tools. Full results will come in a day or 2. I have not spent much time here so can't go into more detail on the matches. There are tutorials on DNA matching that I have not read yet. Click here to register

To get the break down on your ethnicity, see below GEDmatch Heritage Tool

GEDmatch Tools for DNA and Genealogy Research -
Analyze Your Data
'One-to-one' compare
X 'One-to-one'
Admixture (heritage) - Eurogenes and other admixture utilities
Admixture/Oracle with Population Search
Phasing
People who match one or both of 2 kits Updated
Predict Eye Color
Are your parents related?
3D Chromosome Browser
Archaic DNA matches
Multiple Kit Analysis NEW
DNA File Diagnostic Utility

Old 07-30-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Which is much more time consuming and difficult - most people on 23andMe never respond. Some people don't respond at other companies too, but I find the response rate is much lower at 23andMe. As you self admittedly don't have your DNA at any other company, and I'm guessing you've never searched for an unknown bio parent from DNA, perhaps you don't have the experience to make an informed comparison.
The bold is a lie and I have shared here over the years where I have tested. SMH.

It is rare that I get met with dead air. Very rare. I have tested with 23andMe, FTDNA, Genes For Good, MyHeritage, WeGene... Many. Uploaded to Gedmatch. Even served as a beta tester to a calculator at Gedmatch. Ask John... I never found Ancestry all that useful outside of creating a family tree.

I especially take time to respond to adoptees because I cannot imagine having an entire line unknown to me. And that is why I advocate for 23andMe testing. I'd rather know my genetic predisposition than my admixture. SMH.

And mods, delete this as you find this necessary but really, it should not be. I am sorry this user finds unresponsive DNA relatives. I know that has to hurt.

Last edited by CMichele; 07-30-2017 at 12:13 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 AM

And oh, I also tested at DNA.Land.

Ancestry is the only place where I haven't tested...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy