U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM

969 posts, read 1,999,777 times

Advertisements

It's very important to remember that there will be SEVERAL spellings of your surnames. Don't dismiss them because "we don't spell it that way. " Census takers and courthouse clerks spelled names phonetically, plus many times a person may have had an accent, making the surname difficult to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM

25,152 posts, read 30,047,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
It's very important to remember that there will be SEVERAL spellings of your surnames. Don't dismiss them because "we don't spell it that way. " Census takers and courthouse clerks spelled names phonetically, plus many times a person may have had an accent, making the surname difficult to understand.
Great point.

I finally broke down a brick wall once when I realized that a several times great grandmother's names were misspelled in transcriptions everywhere: census, marriage record, and even from her gravestone - where her name is spelled clearly.

Also, ancestors seemed to like to rearrange their given names or might go by a middle name. The lady I mentioned above clearly did not like her first name, using her initials or middle name on documents, and actually was called by a nickname, which was what she was called in her obituary.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 PM

5,215 posts, read 4,512,668 times
Print out & use blank census forms and use them to transcribe your census data onto...and so print a copy if possible of the orginal doc.

I keep track of all the marriages/spouses/children & steps. You never know when that will be helpful.

I attempt to follow each person in my direct line from birth until death. If you can not find the adult in a census index, search for each of known children from prior census.

Look at original digital image of any document, rather than transcription.

Look at the whole census page. Sometimes the enumerator wrote interesting notes in the margins.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 AM

12,535 posts, read 22,525,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
RootsMagic is just tree building software. It is not a records resource like Ancestry, FS, etc.
Thanks. Hints have helped me with many relatives

Find a grave is one of my favorites to use because some added info (birth; death, census) to the bio

Last edited by Roselvr; 08-04-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 AM

379 posts, read 313,212 times
I do agree with the advice on following what got you interested in the first place. That should point you into a direction that will start you down whatever path this journey takes you.

I was 7 when my mom showed me a report that my 2G-grandmother had gotten from a private investigator she had hired back in 1910 to research her family so she could join the DAR. It was a beautiful thing replete with details about our family being mentioned in the Doomsday book and our family crest. I was already a history buff at that point so questions were exploding in my head to know more. In the 70's though, there wasn't this access to info as we have now. I spent some time looking at personal records: family bible, my grandfather's baby book, papers on my grandmother's work at the FBI during WWII, but everything required a car and lots of letter writing to town and county clerk's offices, and a 7 year old isn't equipped with such resources LOL.

After college, I moved to Washington DC and suddenly had access to a ton of national archives of every kind. It was a match made in heaven. I have been hooked since 1993. At first, all I wanted was a membership to the DAR and they required that I re-validate and document my 2G-grandmother's line, and while she was the granddaughter of the son of our Revolutionary War ancestor and she knew the people in the tree personally up to that point, proving that Revolutionary War ancestor was the father of her grandfather took me the better part of the next 20 years (and he in fact was not the right ancestor; another Revolutionary War soldier with the exact same name was our actual ancestor; DNA has finally, thankfully, validated my long held theory).

If it wasn't for that one original goal, I don't know how interested I would have been, but I like knowing why and the unanswered questions kept spurring me forward.

There is access now to plenty of free resources and I agree that that, and a basic Ancestry membership, is a good way to do the largest chunk of regular research. There are so many many more layers if you get more involved beyond that, but you'll figure all of that out once you are already on your journey.

Get your DNA tested...multiple times...and help us fill in HUGE gaps in our knowledge of the human gene.

I wish you the best of luck. :-)

Old 08-04-2017, 01:12 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,290,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks. Hints have helped me with many relatives

Find a grave is one of my favorites to use because some added info (birth; death, census) to the bio
I know Family Tree Maker will include your Ancestry.com hints, RootsMagic may to. But they are the same hints you'd see on your Ancestry.com tree.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:08 PM

969 posts, read 1,999,777 times
Another tip about spelling and / or handwriting. Handwriting was much different many years ago, this is a helpful site : Old handwriting - Deciphering old handwriting in genealogy I have ancestors with the surname Large, and many times the name appeared to be "Sarge" because the cursive L looked more like an S.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:48 AM

39 posts, read 19,267 times
WOW!!! I posted this and left on vacation, came back to a wealth of knowledge!! Thanks so much for your advice and information. Now off to get started!

My big concern is finding false info and following it. I'll try to be patient and stay on track.

This may seem like an odd question but would you include an ex as part of the family tree if the marriage was short and/or there were no children involved? I guess that ex would be a part of the family.

I do have some previous info so I will start with that resource. Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2017, 05:30 AM

39 posts, read 19,267 times
Question- When it asks for the name of a female, is the birth name to be used or married/current name? Just looking over the family search site, I don't see a spot that designates married or maiden names.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:36 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,732,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappytobeinTroy View Post
WOW!!! I posted this and left on vacation, came back to a wealth of knowledge!! Thanks so much for your advice and information. Now off to get started!

My big concern is finding false info and following it. I'll try to be patient and stay on track.

This may seem like an odd question but would you include an ex as part of the family tree if the marriage was short and/or there were no children involved? I guess that ex would be a part of the family.

I do have some previous info so I will start with that resource. Thanks again!
I don't include exes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or