Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,933,751 times

Advertisements

Might not be related, but an interesting fact nonetheless. The wife of an old chiropractor of mine in NEPA was used when a flood unearthed an entire cemetery & bones washed up all over the valley. In someway, somehow, she helped identify the bones so they could be reburied in the proper graves. He mentioned that her ancestry charts helped... she did this for a living & apparently was well sought after, even by royalty in the UK.

Do they include blood types? How else could charts be helpful in such a situation? That valley, where I was born, has seen several such incidents as a result of flooding. I've often wondered how they reburied the previously buried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,327,792 times
I started in 1981, when my dad gave me the whole family history, i got thousand of dollars invested, boxes and boxes of record but still havent got pass 1851 with the name my dad gave me in 1981. some times the brick wall just not coming down

Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I started in 1981, when my dad gave me the whole family history, i got thousand of dollars invested, boxes and boxes of record but still havent got pass 1851 with the name my dad gave me in 1981. some times the brick wall just not coming down
I'm curious, BB. Are there groups where people get together & members investigate others' family trees? Might be an interesting Yahoo group to start, imho. I think it might be easier for me to investigate your tree than mine... I might have wants & desires attached to my outcome, but would readily accept whatever I've found of yours, if that makes sense.

BTW, I think having traced to 1851 is amazing. With no expertise whatsoever, I wish you well in uncovering more.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:30 PM

23,783 posts, read 33,224,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Have you done DNA? Tried looking on family search; wikitree or geni to see if someone started a tree?

What have you done to look for answers?

Old 08-07-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappytobeinTroy View Post
Holy Cow!!! Someone has done a ton of work on my family tree. Lines go all the way to 1550 on my dads side! This is so interesting!
What site did you find the tree? Make sure you do your own work to make sure its right. My hubs grandmother had a lot of relatives with established trees. I made sure I did my own research before entering it in my tree.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:42 PM

36,964 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What site did you find the tree? Make sure you do your own work to make sure its right. My hubs grandmother had a lot of relatives with established trees. I made sure I did my own research before entering it in my tree.
My MIL had a family Bible in which someone had tucked a neatly typed family tree. I thought I had struck gold. Nope. It clearly had taken a wrong turn for one branch, which I can document with census, death, and cemetery records. There were two men with identical names and nearly identical birth dates (within three weeks) who lived not far from one another. The typed tree had the wrong man. I am sure the two families are related. I just cannot prove how.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My MIL had a family Bible in which someone had tucked a neatly typed family tree. I thought I had struck gold. Nope. It clearly had taken a wrong turn for one branch, which I can document with census, death, and cemetery records. There were two men with identical names and nearly identical birth dates (within three weeks) who lived not far from one another. The typed tree had the wrong man. I am sure the two families are related. I just cannot prove how.
Same for my sons great, great grandfather. 2 men named George born similar years living in the same town that immigrated from England. Both have brothers with the same names.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:51 PM

39 posts, read 31,168 times
Honestly I was a bit disappointed to see that someone else had done all the work. I will little by little do some double checking.

I've been working on Family Search.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There were two men with identical names and nearly identical birth dates (within three weeks) who lived not far from one another.
I've often thought of that. Especially if a name like Smith or Jones are in the tree with plenty of those named John, James & Mary. Each decade has favorite names, so someday a lot of folks will be searching for Tiffany, Ashley & Brittany (with it's endless variations on spelling).

Every once in awhile I'll hear that a cousin, aunt or even neighbor from long who has died & upon looking up an obit, I'm stunned there are those with the same or similar names, with same birth years, even if the names are not common. Often they live closeby, in the same country or other countries, which is a trip.

Out of curiosity, why do most do family trees? Is it to satisfy your own curiosity or confirm/dismiss stories you heard when young? Or, to pass info onto kids? And, is it mostly western cultures who want family charts, because for most of us in the states, just going back a few generations leads to different lands, so we may not be privy to lots of childhood stories... whereas, if someone were from a country where people tend not to mix with other cultures & their entire lineage is there, possibly in the same town, perhaps there's no need to trace as they are well aware of ancestors?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 PM

36,964 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I've often thought of that. Especially if a name like Smith or Jones are in the tree with plenty of those named John, James & Mary. Each decade has favorite names, so someday a lot of folks will be searching for Tiffany, Ashley & Brittany (with it's endless variations on spelling).

Every once in awhile I'll hear that a cousin, aunt or even neighbor from long who has died & upon looking up an obit, I'm stunned there are those with the same or similar names, with same birth years, even if the names are not common. Often they live closeby, in the same country or other countries, which is a trip.

Out of curiosity, why do most do family trees? Is it to satisfy your own curiosity or confirm/dismiss stories you heard when young? Or, to pass info onto kids? And, is it mostly western cultures who want family charts, because for most of us in the states, just going back a few generations leads to different lands, so we may not be privy to lots of childhood stories... whereas, if someone were from a country where people tend not to mix with other cultures & their entire lineage is there, possibly in the same town, perhaps there's no need to trace as they are well aware of ancestors?
It's just for fun. Many of us enjoy the detective work involved. There is satisfaction in tracing the next set of parents, seeing where they came from, breaking down brick walls, and, if we are lucky, finding out a bit more than just names and dates. For me, it provoked an interest in history I had not had before. I was amazed to find that my lines pretty much all go back to the colonial era, far before the American Revolution. I had expected to find Scots Irish folk who came over in the 1800s. The Salzburgers who were in GA at the time of Oglethorpe and the Huguenots were a bit of a shock.

My favorite author has done a series of novels in which her characters end up in North Carolina just before the Revolution. She plunks them down into the War of the Regulation, which I had never even heard about. I found that I had ancestors who were in NC at that time, including one with the same surname as one of her characters. That particular person is mentioned in British military dispatches. Her fictionalized account of what went on made my ancestor's contribution come alive.

The Regulators - North Carolina Digital History

But, yes, the families who recycle the same names over and over with all the brothers and sisters naming their kids the same thing makes it frustrating. On the other hand, the occasional unusual name can be very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy