U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 AM

29 posts, read 16,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Religion is biological?
Religion is not biological, no. But the word Jew or Jewish is not as simple as the word christian or muslim. The word Jew also refers to someone from the tribe of Jehudah (Eng: Judah). Someone from the tribe Jehudah is called "Jehudi". Jehudi is the Hebrew word for "Jew". Judaism in Hebrew is called "Yahadut" etc. So where the word christian and muslim only refers to someone that practises a certain religion, the word Jehudi (eng: Jew) also tells you something about ones heritage.

Ofcourse there are also converts to Judaism that are also called Jews, but in a spiritual/religious context...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,022,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We're both a religion and a nationality. There would often be Middle Eastern DNA in the mix.
I can understand ME DNA, but not religion. If religion were part of DNA, then people who originate from Germanic countries would be identified as Christian rather than German and that is not happening. There's something off with this DNA self testing when one of the identified DNA strands is labeled as one of the Western religions.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,022,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi7 View Post
Religion is not biological, no. But the word Jew or Jewish is not as simple as the word christian or muslim. The word Jew also refers to someone from the tribe of Jehudah (Eng: Judah). Someone from the tribe Jehudah is called "Jehudi". Jehudi is the Hebrew word for "Jew". Judaism in Hebrew is called "Yahadut" etc. So where the word christian and muslim only refers to someone that practises a certain religion, the word Jehudi (eng: Jew) also tells you something about ones heritage.

Ofcourse there are also converts to Judaism that are also called Jews, but in a spiritual/religious context...
Christianity also has its origins, but DNA is not identified as Christian. If I received a DNA analysis and my religion was revealed in that DNA, I would ask for my money back.

For example, look at the Spanish Inquisition and the people of Jewish faith who fled to the Netherlands (rather than convert to Catholicism or lose their heads). Do they have Jewish, Spanish, or Middle Eastern DNA? Is the DNA company trying to keep people happy by pretending that DNA identifies religion rather than location of Middle East?

Old 08-03-2017, 08:39 AM

11,514 posts, read 18,189,930 times
No.

Plenty of information out there about this, even Wikipedia.

Quote:
Despite the evident diversity displayed by the world's distinctive Jewish populations, both culturally and physically, genetic studies have demonstrated most of these to be genetically related to one another, having ultimately originated from a common ancient Israelite population that underwent geographic branching and subsequent independent evolutions.[12]

A study published by the National Academy of Sciences stated that "The results support the hypothesis that the paternal gene pools of Jewish communities from Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East descended from a common Middle Eastern ancestral population, and suggest that most Jewish communities have remained relatively isolated from neighboring non-Jewish communities during and after the Diaspora."[12] Researchers expressed surprise at the remarkable genetic uniformity they found among modern Jews, no matter where the diaspora has become dispersed around the world.[12]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_ethnic_divisions

Old 08-03-2017, 08:44 AM

9,361 posts, read 6,997,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
You're asking how to make actual DNA results match what someone told you about your ancestry? Interesting, wanting the science to be made to match the fable.

Could be that the oral history is wrong, or even a lie. Happens all the time.
I knew a (Catholic) girl that had an odd fascination with the Holocaust, who claimed some Jewish blood, based on little more than a Jewish (really generically eastern European) sounding last name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi7 View Post

Yeah...It would be like being raised going to the Greek Orthodox cathedral and finding out that your family was actually Scandanavian.

Its worth considering how BROAD the Jewish Diaspora was, especially until the establishment of Israel. We think of it as mainly being in Northern and Eastern Europe; Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia...While most immigration to the US came from Germany and later Eastern Europe, there were large populations in the Middle East and North Africa, even populations in China and India and Pakistan. And, they weren't totally insular like the Amish are...People would marry in and out and convert.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,620,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I don't recommend My Heritage, has lot of errors.
Here is my Jtest results from Gedmatch:
Population
SOUTH_BALTIC 5.57
EAST_EURO 9.82
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 12.77
ATLANTIC 13.66
WEST_MED 10.20
ASHKENAZI 3.38 <==== probably from my italian great grandparents
EAST_MED 6.82
WEST_ASIAN 2.98
MIDDLE_EASTERN 3.11
SOUTH_ASIAN 1.63
EAST_AFRICAN 3.65
EAST_ASIAN 5.84
SIBERIAN 13.56
WEST_AFRICAN 7.02
I was under the impression that every person will show some Ashkenazi on the jtest, so it's not necessarily reliable per se(?)

Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 AM
AFP

7,239 posts, read 4,704,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I was under the impression that every person will show some Ashkenazi on the jtest, so it's not necessarily reliable per se(?)
Jtest is only reliable for those of Jewish heritage. The range for someone with four Ashkenazi Jewish grandparents runs from 25%-41% Ashkenazi. The Jtest is designed for those with substantial amounts of Jewish heritage otherwise it is useless.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,463,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
You're asking how to make actual DNA results match what someone told you about your ancestry? Interesting, wanting the science to be made to match the fable.

Could be that the oral history is wrong, or even a lie. Happens all the time.
The "actual" DNA results are subject to a great deal of statistical sampling error. They are not supposed to match the "fable."

A good friend of mine and her sister had the DNA test and found that they had significantly different backgrounds. One was part Jewish and the other was not. Their mother assures them that they are biological full sisters.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM

6,387 posts, read 2,886,551 times
" ... If your mother is a Jew: Then you are a Jew ..."

I wonder if the odds of DNA expression would be greater if the Jewish heritage was on mothers side vs fathers? Impacted by your own gender?

There is a difference genetically due to diaspora; Shephardic & Mizrahi Jews generally tended to stay closer to the Middle East while Ashkenazi headed towards the Rhine River by way of Greece. They have been determined as a homogeneous genetic subgroup, although they did start to marry outside of themselves in the early 20th century.

The origins are traced back to the Old Testament; Ashkenaz was a great-grandson of Noah.

This is why it is almost immpossible to get consistent information from the internet, despite there being DNA technology. Even the scientific research done by well credentialed scientists & published in respected peer-review journals continually contradicts itself: Because we might be able to scientifically establish the rightful peoples of the Holy Land.

Thats huge & there are constant conflicts between research groups with funding for studies now being provided for by private or religous groups & accusations of inefficient scientific methods or inaccurate calculations, including outright bias; being tossed at each other from all sides.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,015,526 times
https://www.igenea.com/en/jews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or