Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

I thought Ancestry was supposed to send me an e-mail when the DNA sample was processed and the results became available. It has been a long, long time and just on a whim, I went to check the website to see if it had changed. Looks like they have processed my sample, and a result page is available.

Some of the results are what I expected, some of them are totally unexpected! Based on the work my mom did, and what I was able to expand upon in this digital age, I believed that on my dad's side, I am mostly Irish, Scot, Welsh, and Swiss. On my mom's side, mostly German and who knows what else.

The first DNA result is 29% Irish, which is as we suspected. Just the percentage was unknown. However, it also shows me being 29% Scandinavian! That is total surprise. There are no lines in our tree that goes back to Scandinavia. I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

The next result is 23% Great Britain, which is probably the Scot and Welsh in our blood. Maybe a little English, but not sure. The fourth result is a surprise also. It shows 10% Iberian. No clue about that.

The "Low Confidence Region" shows 3% Italian/Greek, 2% Europe West, 1% Europe East, 1% European Jewish, and <1% Finland/Northwest Russia. Under a different heading, <1% Caucasus.

- - -

What I would like to ask is will some type of downloadable/printable report be available?

What do I do now? It isn't clear how I can use these results.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 07-14-2017 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Do they show you how recent the various elements are?

An example:
Attached Thumbnails
I'm 29% percent WHAT???  Ancestry DNA result.-timeline.png  

Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
I thought Ancestry was supposed to send me an e-mail when the DNA sample was processed and the results became available. It has been a long, long time and just on a whim, I went to check the website to see if it had changed. Looks like they have processed my sample, and a result page is available.

Some of the results are what I expected, some of them are totally unexpected! Based on the work my mom did, and what I was able to expand upon in this digital age, I believed that on my dad's side, I am mostly Irish, Scott, Welsh, and Swiss. On my mom's side, mostly German and who knows what else.

The first DNA result is 29% Irish, which is as we suspected. Just the percentage was unknown. However, it also shows me being 29% Scandinavian! That is total surprise. There are no lines in our tree that goes back to Scandinavia. I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

The next result is 23% Great Britain, which is probably the Scott and Welsh in our blood. Maybe a little English, but not sure. The fourth result is a surprise also. It shows 10% Iberian. No clue about that.

The "Low Confidence Region" shows 3% Italian/Greek, 2% Europe West, 1% Europe East, 1% European Jewish, and <1% Finland/Northwest Russia. Under a different heading, <1% Caucasus.

- - -

What I would like to ask is will some type of downloadable/printable report be available?

I've done DNA for 6 people, I had emails for all of them. I'm not sure if it is a setting or if they auto email status of DNA. You can save the DNA raw data file to upload to other sites like Family tree DNA where you can get free matching or My Heritage DNA where you get free family matching and ethnicity, then also upload to GEDmatch for free ethnicity and matching. See my blog post Family tree and DNA general instructions. I'm gonna paste in part of the blog below

Now to the DNA
Quote:
How to access and download your autosomal DNA results from AncestryDNA once you're ready to upload to other sites.

1. Navigate to the Ancestry.com website homepage.
2. In the upper-right corner, click Sign In to display the sign in window.
3. In the Username or email field, enter your username or email.
4. In the Password field, enter your password.
5. Click Sign In. Your Ancestry home page is displayed.
6. On the menu bar, click DNA > Your DNA Results Summary. The AncestryDNA home page is displayed.
7. On the right side of the page, click Settings. Your Test Settings page is displayed.
8. Scroll down the page.
9. On the right side of the page, in the Download your raw DNA data section, click Get Started. The Download your raw DNA data window is displayed.
10. Enter your password in the empty field.
11. Click Confirm. A window requesting that you check your email is displayed.
12. Check your email for an email from AncestryDNA with the subject line Your request to download AncestryDNA raw data.
13. In the email, click Confirm Data Download. You will be redirected to the Ancestry.com website.
14. Enter your username or email and password in the appropriate fields, and click Sign In. The Download DNA Raw Data page is displayed.
15. Click Download DNA Raw Data to download your raw data file. Note where you save the file on your computer

23andme Accessing your Raw Data

FTDNA Accessing your Raw Data to upload to GEDmatch

23 and me offers 2 tests, one for family finder ($99) and another for health ($200). If you do the family finder without health and you're interested in doing the health later on it will cost you an extra $25 so be aware of that. They do not support uploads from other sites.

Ancestry DNA - costs $99 plus $10 shipping. They do not allow uploads from other companies. Tests normally go on sale mothers and father's day, black Friday $69 and the Christmas holiday $79. I have a coupon code in my 1st post here I believe where it's $89 but you have to add the $10 shipping to it. It's very easy to buy more tests to add it to the people in your tree.

Family Tree DNA costs $79 or you can transfer your Ancestry DNA or 23 and Me autosomal DNA data to discover new matches for free. For $19 more they will give you myOrigins, ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. I haven't done it yet. I plan to do it at some point so I can get the experience. I have directions on how to upload multiple raw data files at FTDNA in case anyone gets stuck. Once you have the 1st one uploaded and have electronically signed it, logout of FamilyTreeDNA, then select the drop down box "DNA Tests" and select the "Autosomal Transfer". Fill out First Name and Last name of the person who's test you will be uploading and select if they are male or female and then enter your email address if you are the person who will administer this account. It will then assign you a new kit number and email you a new password for the kit. Then it will proceed to the upload DNA page. Make sure you look for the password email. You're going to get one for each sample you upload. You have to upload your family tree GEDcom file for each sample which is a pain in the butt but over all it's been a good experience. Directions page in case anyone needs it.

My Heritage DNA is normally $99 but they're selling it for $79. They're a new company so you may not get many matches. They allow free uploads from Ancestry, 23 and me and FTDNA. June 2017 - New, they now give free ethnicity estimates. I won a kit from My Heritage for a founders project. They were interested in me because my family has lived in Hungary for a long time. I got my ethnicity report from it, I'm 96.3% East European and 3.7% Italian. It took 6 months, they wouldn't release it until they were done analyzing data from everyone that was in the project. They did give me DNA matches, I only have 5 where on FTDNA and Ancestry I have a lot more. To upload your DNA from another company, go to your profile, you will see the DNA tab where you can upload your raw data. They're saying they will eventually be charging to upload raw data. They're also going to add a surname feature where they will give surnames at some point. To upload DNA to another person in your tree, find them on the tree then click their name, it will open a box on the left that has the link to upload.

GEDmatch where you can upload both your DNA and a GEDcom file; look for matches and do all sorts of things with finding out your ethnicity that's more involved then any of the other companies. They go back to hunter-gatherer. GEDmatch upload in case you can't find it. It only takes a few minutes to upload the DNA, then you can play around with the tools. Full results will come in a day or 2. I have not spent much time here so can't go into more detail on the matches. There are tutorials on DNA matching that I have not read yet. Click here to register

To get the break down on your ethnicity, see below GEDmatch Heritage Tool

GEDmatch Tools for DNA and Genealogy Research -
Analyze Your Data
'One-to-one' compare
X 'One-to-one'
Admixture (heritage) - Eurogenes and other admixture utilities
Admixture/Oracle with Population Search
Phasing
People who match one or both of 2 kits Updated
Predict Eye Color
Are your parents related?
3D Chromosome Browser
Archaic DNA matches
Multiple Kit Analysis NEW
DNA File Diagnostic Utility

GEDmatch Heritage Tool
copy your DNA sample number, go to Admixture (heritage), select project, Eurogenes. Next page, Select how you want to process it: Admixture Proportions (With link to Oracle); Enter your kit number: Select the 'calculator' model to use: Eurogenes K13, Enter your Ethnicity: you'll then get the graph, Eurogenes K13 Admixture Proportions; under the populations on the left, you'll see oracle and oracle -4
Here's a basic intro guide to gedmatch's admixture calculators: Genealogical Musings: Finally! A Gedmatch Admixture Guide!

Near East Neolithic K13 - select Admixture (heritage), Select the project GedrosiaDNA, Select how you want to process it: Admixture Proportions (With link to Oracle); Enter your kit number; Select the 'calculator' model to use: Near East Neolithic K13

Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 AM

MrRational, I have not seen a page similar to your picture. Not sure how to get to it. I am currently not a paid member of Ancestry. Usually, I wait for one of their 1/2 price six-month memberships, then join for that period. Now that I'm in the middle of moving 1,200 miles away, don't have much free time anyway.

Roselvr, thank you for the wealth of information. It will take awhile to digest. Appreciate it.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:32 AM

I have another question. I think the answer is obvious, but would like to obtain confirmation.

Are my results, the percentages, applicable and the same as my siblings if they were to have their DNA analyzed? (Assuming all six of us have the same parents.)

Old 07-14-2017, 11:03 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
MrRational, I have not seen a page similar to your picture.
Not sure how to get to it.
That's from 23andMe.

It's very helpful context especially regarding the smaller contributors.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
you do know those percent go back 1000's of years. Iberian, is the area around france and other european countries

Old 07-14-2017, 12:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
The Iberian is very ancient in Britain and Ireland,you can read about the mythological Milesians in Ireland and the basques.

The Scandinavian is equally old Norse and Vikings in Britain and Ireland.
I know the 23and me test goes back maybe 500-600 years if I read correctly but maybe AncestryDNA goes further back.

Can I ask how long it took to receive your results.

For anyone who wants a discount (10%) on this test you can get it from this
video.Click on the info part of the video.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:43 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:

The next result is 23% Great Britain, which is probably the Scot and Welsh in our blood. Maybe a little English, but not sure. The fourth result is a surprise also. It shows 10% Iberian. No clue about that.

- - -

The red haired Irish comes from the Vikings, not actually Irish at all. So, if you believe you have a lot of Irish blood, most likely some of it would be descended from the Vikings too.

Iberian is from the Spanish region. Remember, the royal families traveled and married one another. Spain and England intermarried often. It is hard not to tie into a royal family if you come from England, so having some Iberian in you would not be a surprise.

It is fun to see where you descend from...

Old 07-14-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
The Iberian is very ancient in Britain and Ireland,you can read about the mythological Milesians in Ireland and the basques.

The Scandinavian is equally old Norse and Vikings in Britain and Ireland.
This morning, I told my brothers that we are half Viking and half Druid. That will be 'a topic for conversation'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Can I ask how long it took to receive your results.
The kit was ordered at the end of April. It was "activated" mid-May. They received my sample at the beginning of June. An e-mail update on June 19 says that the DNA was in the "lab being processed". That was the last communication I have received from them. So, figure six weeks, give or take.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy