Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 PM

385 posts, read 440,677 times

Advertisements

Say what now?

Seriously. I think 23 & Me has lost their minds.

My dad is 81% SSA, 17.1% Euro and the rest native american.

His father's dead, but his mother's DNA test came up as 83% SSA so his dad has to be in that ballpark too.

I have tried to get them to explain to me how it is that my dad was assigned the R-L21 haplogroup when both of his parents are american blacks and greater than 80% SSA, but nothing they are telling me is making sense. His maternal haplogroup BTW was L3f1b which matches my grandmother's results perfectly.

Since there is no question of my father's parentage, LOL, could someone take a stab at explaining why it worked out this way?

Don't get me wrong. I do think that haplogroup is accurate for that 17% sliver in my dad's result, but I can't understand how that one piece is the dominant paternal haplogroup.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
y-DNA is a very tiny part of overall ancestry,it differs from autosomal DNA.
Your father has European ancestry it shouldn't surprise you at all.
It just means he had an ancient gggggggggggg grandfather who was European not surprising since he has European ancestry.
I have an African haplogroup,the majority of my ancestry is European.Ive seen quite a few Italians with African haplogroups from ancient forgotten mothers.

Last edited by Katiethegreat; 08-03-2017 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 PM

661 posts, read 880,685 times
That means that your great grand father 1,000 years ago, is a british guy.
And is not a surprise, this happens very often.
Here is my Eurogenes K13 results from Gedmatch:
Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08

My Y-DNA is: R1b1b2a1a2f* (Irish)
My MtDna is: C1 (Native American)
I am from South America, by the way.

Last edited by ozarknation; 08-03-2017 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 09:34 PM

Right. And that is what they are telling me, but that really makes yours and his haplogroups useless.

The whole point of it is to understand ancient peoples, their migration patterns, maybe some general characteristics, but if the group they give you is the 10%, you then know nothing about these general things about the other 90%.

For example, I took my grandmother's haplogroup and looked it up on Google. There is a wide array of data and studies done on her haplogroup. The are significant details about migration patterns, the commonality of that group in the trans-atlantic slave trade, and the reasons that that group has some small appearances in the DNA of Egyptian pharoahs.

Now I get it that that data isn't specific, but it was interesting. As was my mother's when I researched hers.

We get to do none of that research on my father...until he does a much more comprehensive y-DNA test.

Sure I can find out all about the migration patterns of Celt and Viking clans in the British Isles, but since my mother is 98% British, I already know this stuff. And since my grandfather is 82% Nigerian and Senegalese, I get to know nothing about his side.

Yeah...I don't see how that makes any sense.

And the reality for most black americans is that euro sliver isn't ONE gggggg-grandparent. It is many. That 17% is likely a composite of twenty or more different ancestors, further diluting the importance of whatever info I could glean from that haplogroup.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
That means that your great grand father 1,000 years ago, is a british guy.
And is not a surprise, this happens very often.
Here is my Eurogenes K13 results from Gedmatch:
Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08
You're missing the point.

I am not surprised my dad has euro in him. My own test came back as 60% white. I understood clearly that he contributed some of that. Trust me. White DNA is never a surprise to black americans.

My mother is already in a haplogroup that covers that same region. I have known for years plenty of detailed info on that region and our family has lived there since people left africa at dawning of time.

I want to know more about my dad's main haplogroup. The group that involves the main aspects of his heritage, not the haplogroup of the cosmic dust that has passed down from hundreds of 4 and 5G-grandparents.

That doesn't make sense?

So maybe the better question is... how is the haplogroup assigned? And how could it be that one group would be dominant even if that group is assigned to the smaller/est share of one's chromosomes? There has to be some methodology to how that works. What is that?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
OP, this isn't unusual,especially for black American men. The haplogroup is passed from father to son and so forth on the direct paternal line. So uptree, I am afraid to share with you, you had a Euro ancestor on your direct paternal line What I can say is that maybe it wasn't the results of the "usual slaveholder visiting the slave's quarters" and please see Newt Knight from The Free State of Jones movie.

The side effects of slavery... And early America, at that.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
OP, this isn't unusual,especially for black American men. The haplogroup is passed from father to son and so forth on the direct paternal line. So uptree, I am afraid to share with you, you had a Euro ancestor on your direct paternal line What I can say is that maybe it wasn't the results of the "usual slaveholder visiting the slave's quarters" and please see Newt Knight from The Free State of Jones movie.

The side effects of slavery... And early America, at that.
I have traced my dad's line back to pre-revolutionary era in America. I have yet to find a slave. Plenty of blacks descend from free people.

Again...this question is NOT about me being surprised to find euro ancestry in my father's family tree.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
I have traced my dad's line back to pre-revolutionary era in America. I have yet to find a slave. Plenty of blacks descend from free people.

Again...this question is NOT about me being surprised to find euro ancestry in my father's family tree.
Allow me a moment to read again, here.

Thank you. And while I do so, can you please restate your issue here?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Allow me a moment to read again, here.

Thank you. And while I do so, can you please restate your issue here?
Certainly. :-)

"So maybe the better question is... how is the haplogroup assigned? And how could it be that one group would be dominant even if that group is assigned to the smaller/est share of one's chromosomes? There has to be some methodology to how that works. What is that?"

Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 PM

Have you considered colonization in the regions of you ancestors, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy