U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2017, 05:18 AM
 
662 posts, read 1,436,610 times
Reputation: 1064

Advertisements

I purchased a sale kit for my DH's birthday coming up next month. I've saved all of this info for him to use when the time comes. He is going to be so excited! I just wanted to thank TekFreek for the tip and Roselvr for the generous information/instructions. Reps to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2017, 06:48 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,612 posts, read 22,560,801 times
Reputation: 11518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Oh, that's a shame. I've had that happen a few times. I'm usually on an iPad and if I'm going to type a big email or DM, I use the Notes feature and then copy paste when I'm done.

The link you posted here is the site I used to test my dad. I think the data they provide is very detailed, for the basic test (back then it was like $150 if I'm not mistaken) they gave us two pdf files full of specific data - markers for each line (Y-DNA and mtDNA). I wish I would have paid for the more detailed package, to upgrade now will cost an additional $99.

The website I used, they have been mapping genes all over the planet for decades. Doing DNA analysis for individuals isn't the core of their business, they decided to provide this service as a way to build their database more so than for helping people track their extended families down. They just added several more sets of locales. I can DM you more info.
Sorry, been running to doctors for 3 days. Such a nightmare. I'll try to DM you tomorrow.

Normally I use notepad because I know the computer and how the browser crashes.

I was able to check the site out and am interested for when I can do my uncle. I want to do ancestry 1st so I can sort if I have matches from my dads side then I want the more involvolved testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,612 posts, read 22,560,801 times
Reputation: 11518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I purchased a sale kit for my DH's birthday coming up next month. I've saved all of this info for him to use when the time comes. He is going to be so excited! I just wanted to thank TekFreek for the tip and Roselvr for the generous information/instructions. Reps to you!
I'm sure DH will love it. Mine connected to a 2nd cousin that actually knew his grandpa which in turn connected his sister to meet with other relatives from that side and he also matched to a relative from his moms mother who left her 2 young children; never seeing either again. They were raised since age 5 or so by their step mother. The husband was very abusive, no clue how gram lived with him until he passed. MIL was very attentive and a very good daughter, took great care by making sure a family member lived with her; driove her to her appointments and hair appointments until gram passed valentins day a few years ago.

You're very welcome. Hit me up by DM if you need any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:52 PM
 
1,519 posts, read 960,208 times
Reputation: 2156
How exciting,I think it's the best gift you can buy your husband.
I have to admit I got my results a few days ago I was a bit dissapointed with "Europe west" really wish it had been British or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I purchased a sale kit for my DH's birthday coming up next month. I've saved all of this info for him to use when the time comes. He is going to be so excited! I just wanted to thank TekFreek for the tip and Roselvr for the generous information/instructions. Reps to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 AM
 
662 posts, read 1,436,610 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm sure DH will love it. Mine connected to a 2nd cousin that actually knew his grandpa which in turn connected his sister to meet with other relatives from that side and he also matched to a relative from his moms mother who left her 2 young children; never seeing either again. They were raised since age 5 or so by their step mother. The husband was very abusive, no clue how gram lived with him until he passed. MIL was very attentive and a very good daughter, took great care by making sure a family member lived with her; driove her to her appointments and hair appointments until gram passed valentins day a few years ago.

You're very welcome. Hit me up by DM if you need any help

Wow, that's amazing! I love all the little tendrils of info that come out of genealogy research.

This DNA stuff was very confusing until I read your posts. It's still confusing, haha, but you've provided some great documentation. (As a former tech writer, I can fully appreciate that!) Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 AM
 
662 posts, read 1,436,610 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
How exciting,I think it's the best gift you can buy your husband.
I have to admit I got my results a few days ago I was a bit dissapointed with "Europe west" really wish it had been British or something.
Thanks Katie! As excited as he will be, I think I'm more excited. I really wanted to surprise him with the results for his present, but wasn't sure how to get a good sample with him unawares, lol. Plus it takes so long for the results, by the time I decided to get him this, it would have been too late to have the results in time for his birthday. So, just the test for his birthday, the first week in September.

Interesting about your results! He has traced some of his genealogy and apparently both sides of his family came from England, and there is even a town with his last name there. I guess it will show that... And maybe further back, as well, hopefully? We'll see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,612 posts, read 22,560,801 times
Reputation: 11518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Wow, that's amazing! I love all the little tendrils of info that come out of genealogy research.

This DNA stuff was very confusing until I read your posts. It's still confusing, haha, but you've provided some great documentation. (As a former tech writer, I can fully appreciate that!) Thank you again.
I'm really happy to hear my blog post was appreciated because the person I originally posted it to didn't acknowledge anything I wrote. It wasn't as extensive as it is now but it took me a long time to write. Have you started building your tree yet?

I worked his family tree, figured out who MIL's mother was plus some of her family then happened to be contacted by someone from her side that DNA matched with hub. I gave him the info he needed for MIL's father, then he invited me to his tree so I could fill more of mine in.

Hubs sister works on their parents on Ancestry with their niece. They've been visiting family in various cemeteries. The big find was FIL's mother who passed when my FIL was under 5.Too bad he's been deceased since 2006. I made a find a grave page for her, then connected her to FIL and FIL's father.

I've been on a find a grave mission to connect everyone that I can. If the relative doesn't have a page, I love finding where people are buried then making them a memorial.

I'm happy I haven't used my 2 week free trial because I have not had a need for it. The other night I was contacted by someone matching my 1st MIL so we're working together to connect who I have to who she has. She said she's a distant DNA match to MIL

I'll try to make a new post for the family tree blog. Maybe we can get more people giving tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
How exciting,I think it's the best gift you can buy your husband.
I have to admit I got my results a few days ago I was a bit dissapointed with "Europe west" really wish it had been British or something.
Have you used any of the free upload sites yet? Throw your DNA thru my heritage and GEDmatch to see what they show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,612 posts, read 22,560,801 times
Reputation: 11518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Oh, that's a shame. I've had that happen a few times. I'm usually on an iPad and if I'm going to type a big email or DM, I use the Notes feature and then copy paste when I'm done.

The link you posted here is the site I used to test my dad. I think the data they provide is very detailed, for the basic test (back then it was like $150 if I'm not mistaken) they gave us two pdf files full of specific data - markers for each line (Y-DNA and mtDNA). I wish I would have paid for the more detailed package, to upgrade now will cost an additional $99.

The website I used, they have been mapping genes all over the planet for decades. Doing DNA analysis for individuals isn't the core of their business, they decided to provide this service as a way to build their database more so than for helping people track their extended families down. They just added several more sets of locales. I can DM you more info.
PA2UK said they're closing down. Click the arrow in the quote to go to where it was posted. Have to run out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
This thread just gave me an idea for the Ancestry.com backed TV show! First it was family history digging shows, like Who Do You Think You Are and Finding Your Roots. Then it was the adoption reconnection show Long Lost Family. All brought to you by Ancestry.com.


How about they get white supremacists, anti-semites, etc, and do their DNA testing, and the big "reveal" can be how much DNA they actually have from the populations they have hate for. Then we get to see their reactions. It would be hilarious. Like a KKK guy can learn that he is 6% African, 4% East Asian, or 3% European Jewish. They might start yelling that the test must be wrong, someone mixed up samples, then the host can be like "We thought you'd say that, so we ran 3 more tests, and this is still the result." Then they can show the person their family tree and the stories of the so-called undesirable people they've descended from. Then maybe some will experience some enlightenment, and some might just get angrier. I'd love it. And it would be much better than half the crap on TV like the 600 pound life or the Kardassians.
It was done once on a talk show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPs78ofDPo

And his reaction was "this is called statistical noise". 14% is not statistical noise. However, it should be pointed out that we don't know what company they used. For all we know they might have used a company like AncestryBYdna (not Ancestry.com), which use outdated methods and are therefore very unreliable, and are now going out of business because of it. This was also done in 2013 and ethnicity reports have gotten better since then. I'd like to see this guy test again with a known, reliable company, and see what the results are now... hopefully he'd still have some African results so he couldn't claim "statistical noise" again, but there is a possibility he wouldn't.

Also, I hate to be a downer, but according to Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS - only 3.5% - 4% of white/European Americans have African ancestry, though it does vary by state. The highest was 12% of European Americans in South Carolina and Louisiana, keeping in mind the fact that they were including anyone with 1% or more results in Africa, and frankly, 1% could indeed be statistical noise. And that's anywhere in Africa, not SSA. Many people with Mediterranean ancestry wind up with trace amounts in North Africa - it should not be taken too literally at such low numbers like 1%.

White people with unknown East Asian DNA are probably even fewer. Jewish might be more common, since some Jews did convert and hide their background from descendants.

My point is just that there is such a small population of white people who do wind up with unexpected results in another continent/race, especially in a high enough percentage to be considered significant or legit, that most of the show's contestants probably wouldn't reveal what we all hope or wish it would. The vast majority probably would wind up being 100% European (or close enough to it that anything else would be considered noise), and therefore the show would be a flop. It's a nice idea - I too would love to see it done right with reliable and/or multiple companies to confirm it but the reality probably is, I don't think there's enough willing participants who would happen to have the right background for it to work, at least not on a regular basis for a TV series instead of a one-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 01:08 PM
 
662 posts, read 1,436,610 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm really happy to hear my blog post was appreciated because the person I originally posted it to didn't acknowledge anything I wrote. It wasn't as extensive as it is now but it took me a long time to write. Have you started building your tree yet?

I worked his family tree, figured out who MIL's mother was plus some of her family then happened to be contacted by someone from her side that DNA matched with hub. I gave him the info he needed for MIL's father, then he invited me to his tree so I could fill more of mine in.

Hubs sister works on their parents on Ancestry with their niece. They've been visiting family in various cemeteries. The big find was FIL's mother who passed when my FIL was under 5.Too bad he's been deceased since 2006. I made a find a grave page for her, then connected her to FIL and FIL's father.

I've been on a find a grave mission to connect everyone that I can. If the relative doesn't have a page, I love finding where people are buried then making them a memorial.

I'm happy I haven't used my 2 week free trial because I have not had a need for it. The other night I was contacted by someone matching my 1st MIL so we're working together to connect who I have to who she has. She said she's a distant DNA match to MIL

I'll try to make a new post for the family tree blog. Maybe we can get more people giving tips.
Well, at least two people appreciate it in my house (or will soon)!

I worked on mine a few years ago and got pretty far back (minus DNA), with one branch. I'm lucky that a distant relative had already built an extensive tree, traced back to 13th century Switzerland! Then most of my other roots are probably German. I just haven't had time since then to get back to it, but the more technology develops, the more I'm looking forward to it! I am hoping to have time to help DH get further with his when he gets his results back.

I LOVE Find-a-grave. It's such a great resource; I've found lots of tidbits on there. That's so nice of you to make the memorials! I especially love the ones that have memorials and the rare photo, too.

It's good to know you haven't had a need for the trial yet. I was thinking, if we do need to get to Ancestry records, we'll just go to the library. The monthly subscription price is a bit too steep for my current budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM
 
1,519 posts, read 960,208 times
Reputation: 2156
I didn't wait long for my results just a few weeks,but with the sale may take awhile.I have alot of English ancestry but only got a little bit British (I was more Scandinavian than British) so I think if he has Anglo-Saxon ancestry it might show as Europe West and other areas.But it did tell me In the "genetic communities" section that I had DNA from the midlands(England) and that's true from my tree, I do.He's going to be so excited,I think it's so nice when couples do family history together,they learn so much about each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Thanks Katie! As excited as he will be, I think I'm more excited. I really wanted to surprise him with the results for his present, but wasn't sure how to get a good sample with him unawares, lol. Plus it takes so long for the results, by the time I decided to get him this, it would have been too late to have the results in time for his birthday. So, just the test for his birthday, the first week in September.

Interesting about your results! He has traced some of his genealogy and apparently both sides of his family came from England, and there is even a town with his last name there. I guess it will show that... And maybe further back, as well, hopefully? We'll see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top