U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:47 PM

25,200 posts, read 30,059,309 times

Advertisements

I spent the weekend looking at matches at Family Tree DNA. I was able to find the common ancestor for several lines that go back six generations or more. To me, that implies a remarkable degree of fidelity down our respective lines for me and the person I match to.

My personal tree is pretty much devoid of known divorces. Remarriages were due to deaths of spouses. There is one non-paternal event in 1735 that was uncovered by DNA and confirmed with court records - a pregnant widow named the father of her child.

Anyone else finding similar remote matches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM
AFP

7,238 posts, read 4,695,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I spent the weekend looking at matches at Family Tree DNA. I was able to find the common ancestor for several lines that go back six generations or more. To me, that implies a remarkable degree of fidelity down our respective lines for me and the person I match to.

My personal tree is pretty much devoid of known divorces. Remarriages were due to deaths of spouses. There is one non-paternal event in 1735 that was uncovered by DNA and confirmed with court records - a pregnant widow named the father of her child.

I've found one match through DNA that the common ancestor is in the late 1600's but is estimated at a 3rd-5th cousin. I suspect an NPE in his line after having checked our in common matches. No surprises really. All of my lines are married X 10 generations then then I can only trace a few lines back X4 more generations all married I see no evidence of many NPE's according to the matches a few single men in my line fathered children with married women but I knew that already.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM

25,200 posts, read 30,059,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I've found one match through DNA that the common ancestor is in the late 1600's but is estimated at a 3rd-5th cousin. I suspect an NPE in his line after having checked our in common matches. No surprises really. All of my lines are married X 10 generations then then I can only trace a few lines back X4 more generations all married I see no evidence of many NPE's according to the matches a few single men in my line fathered children with married women but I knew that already.
When I find an expected third to fifth cousin with a common ancestor much further back I always look for another common ancestor. I have some lines that go back to early CT where the same families intermarried a lot. Any matches I have with that crew can end up with us being cousins nine different ways.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:00 PM
AFP

7,238 posts, read 4,695,019 times
Quote:
When I find an expected third to fifth cousin with a common ancestor much further back I always look for another common ancestor. I have some lines that go back to early CT where the same families intermarried a lot. Any matches I have with that crew can end up with us being cousins nine different ways.
That is one possibility but with the longest shared segment being 20cM in this particular case I think an NPE is probable.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 PM

9,285 posts, read 5,516,075 times
i found out throught dna, that my branch was the bastard child, that my surname is not my surname

Old 08-08-2017, 01:28 PM

375 posts, read 969,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i found out throught dna, that my branch was the bastard child, that my surname is not my surname
? My surname came from an unmarried g-g-grandmother but I still think of it as "mine".

To the OP, only one "formal" divorce that I know about in my family tree but I've got multiple cases where one spouse would leave (sometimes husband, sometimes wife) and everyone would end up married to someone else without the first marriage being legally dissolved. Doesn't seem to have been the kind of legal jeopardy attached to that in the 1700s/1800s as there is now.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 PM

445 posts, read 270,979 times
Quote:

I found a Match of My Maternal grandfather and Great-Grandmother that her assumed Paternal Grandfather was not actually her Grandfather. My 2nd Great-Grandfather 'assumed' Father actually died Three years earlier. I was able to track down an Obituary. Then couple weeks ago My Great-Grandma actually said that the assumed father was actually her dad step dad. His Real Father (who I figured out) was actually married and had kids so that means My 2nd Great-Grandfather Real Dad was cheating on his wife with his (2nd Great-Grandpa) Mother.

There a lot of divorces in My Family Tree. So only a few going back Four Generations in my direct lines. There been a lot of adultery being committed through out my Family Tree by both Males and Females.

Through DNA I proved all my Ancestors back to Great-Great Grandparents are really my ancestors except for one Great-Great Grandfather on my dad side who adopted my Great-Grandfather.

I have one Great-Grandfather who fathered two children while married to My Great-Grandmother.

One of My Grandparents divorced. Two of My Great-Grandparents (One Set both married other people the other Remarried each other a year later) and Two of My Great-Grandfathers were married to other women before Marrying My Great-Grandmothers. Both of their First Marrieds ended in Divorce. So Five of My Great-Grandparents Married and Divorced at least once

Old 08-08-2017, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 14,967 times
I've found a lot of divorces, 1st cousin marriages and children born out of wedlock. Funny thing about this is most of these folks are from just one branch of my family. This line is the one who shunned my uncle for marrying a catholic lady. They never had children, but all of us loved her to death. Many a cousin has children who have been named after her. What a ride this has been! The hits just keep on coming. I can't wait to see what else is out there.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:29 AM

16,206 posts, read 8,481,947 times
Divorces are common on my tree from about 1890 forward. Before that, I haven't found any evidence of divorce or lack of fidelity.

What was more common was early deaths of 2nd and 3rd great grandparents due to illness. One of my 4th great grandmothers was married before she married my 4th great grandfather. Her husband was murdered by racists while he walked through the woods in MI. This was in the 1870s. His murderers were ironically former union soldiers but confederate sympathizers according to newspapers I've read about the trial. They never were convicted or sent to jail. It was sad for me to learn about. One of their children was sick at the time and died a few months afterwards. She was left a young widow of 6 children. She married my 4th great grandfather a couple years later and within 10 years, he also died a rather tragic death. A tree fell on him and killed him the day after Christmas. Hers is the most tragic story of love and loss in my family tree. She did eventually marry a 3rd time and they were married for a good long span. She had 14 children total.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM

6,266 posts, read 5,736,397 times
Only 1 divorce in the generations before me. 6 in my generation out of 29. Those were all married too young. Got married and divorced in their 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy