U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM

12,666 posts, read 11,421,572 times

Advertisements

I did a 23andme test last year and do not know my parents. Long story short is that my results show me as 50% Jewish and the other 50% European (mix of east/west/south/north). It said that a parent or grandparent most likely was Jewish (it said 1-2 generations), while the other 50% European show origins of like 6+ generations. Googling showed me this particular Jewish variant (Ashk.) are Jewish people who eventually settled in Eastern Europe.

I'm just a bit confused by the whole thing. I've done some research since getting the results but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what this means. I read how this particular group keeps to themselves and that's how DNA tests like this are able to identify me as 50% Jewish.

I'm just confused how all my DNA is seemingly European yet 50% of it is somehow European and Jewish. Does this mean if I go back far enough my ancestors on the 50% Jewish side all came from the Israel region? Just trying to soak this all in and find out what it means/where I'm from.

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 AM

9,275 posts, read 11,583,629 times
Geneticists are equally confused about whether to define "Jewish" as a religion or a genetic race marker. (ie; IOW, are you descended from natural born or converted "Jews"?)

Last edited by jghorton; 08-14-2017 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 02:19 PM

5,832 posts, read 8,604,377 times
First, you are from wherever you was born or grew up.

Second, Ashkenazi Jews are generally from Germany. I too have some Ashkenazi Jewish DNA, albeit it's only a trickle compare to yours.

I don't quite understand your confusion. Ashkenazi Jews and the rest of Europeans are all Europeans.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM

29,874 posts, read 65,654,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Long story short is that my results show me as 50% (Aashkenazi) Jewish...
I'm just confused how all my DNA is seemingly (various) European ...yet 50% of it is (Ashkenazi European)

Does this mean if I go back far enough my ancestors on the 50% Jewish side...
Not even so far back... it's rather likely that ONE of your parents is 100% Ashkenazi.
Next likely is that EACH parent in turn has one parent who is 100% Ashkenazi.
What did your parents tell you? Can they be tested?

In WW2 that would be good enough for Himmler to send you and your kids to the camps.
---

As to the other 50% that's likely a European stew -- a melting pot.
But the report should be more specific.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-14-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM

14,252 posts, read 15,812,143 times
I'm 44% 'European Jewish' and the balance is Great Britain, Ireland and Western Europe. This makes perfect sense as my father was Jewish and I knew that my Great Grandparents had left Lithuania (which was part of Russia then) around 1880. My mother was English and I have traced her family back to around 1700 in the Midlands and the North of England.

Between 1860 and 1910 round three million jews fled persecution in Eastern Europe, mainly the Russian Empire. Most went to the USA and around 20% ended up in Western Europe. European Jews can be defined as an ethnicity due to the extent of inter-marriage and inter-breeding*.

With 50% European Jewish, chances are that one of your parents is Jewish.

* Watch out for high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:46 PM

7,476 posts, read 10,257,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Geneticists are equally confused about whether to define "Jewish" as a religion or a genetic race marker. (ie; IOW, are you descended from natural born or converted "Jews"?)
I'm not sure what this means. Whether or not you're tacitly endorsing this theory, some people are insistent on proving that certain Jewish ethnic groups, especially Ashkenazim, are "imposters." However, reputable, peer-reviewed genetic studies have shown, time and again, that Ashkenazi Jews have Y-chromosomal Levantine origins. Mitochondrial DNA studies have been less conclusive but still suggest at least some Near Eastern maternal ancestry.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 PM

634 posts, read 539,735 times
My results are always around 3% to 5% Askenazi, at FTDNA, Ancestry, Gedmatch, etc

Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,469,226 times
I would believe a 50% Jewish result, even though you may not be 1/2 Jewish.

23andMe used to have a chromosome browser with DNA matching (with maps and AJ matches) a few years back. This would have been perfect for you to get more info.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 PM

707 posts, read 447,905 times
One of your parents was most likely fully Ashkenazi Jewish.

What was your haplogroup (s)?

Do you match several others with Ashkenazi ancestry?

My uncle came back nearly 1/4. In our case it was my direct paternal great grandfather who was from Romania, and who had changed his name.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 PM

707 posts, read 447,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
First, you are from wherever you was born or grew up.

Second, Ashkenazi Jews are generally from Germany. I too have some Ashkenazi Jewish DNA, albeit it's only a trickle compare to yours.

I don't quite understand your confusion. Ashkenazi Jews and the rest of Europeans are all Europeans.
Various calculators and other websites not, "tuned," for Jewish DNA typically think that our Ashkenazi portion is from West Asian, the Middle East, or Mediterranean. Or some combination of various regions. I'm not so sure that they are genetically European. Classically Caucasian, yes, but maybe not quite European.

My Dad's paternal haplogroup is J1E which many Arabic and Ashkenazi Jewish men have. Based on appearance of my ancestor and others, I'd really guess that many were more Middle Eastern rather than Europe.

Although I guess no one quite knows for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or