U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2017, 04:02 AM
 
29 posts, read 16,355 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Technically speaking, yes. That person is caucasian or white or european
You do realise that, even though according to you I'm caucasian, nobody in the world sees nor treats me as caucasian because of my brown skin... So your genealogist can technically speaking kiss my *ss. That rule is BS and it seems everyone here thinks that too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2017, 06:12 AM
 
5,607 posts, read 7,651,872 times
Reputation: 5552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Technically speaking yes, your race is anything about the 51%.
There is no universally agreed-upon technical definition of race because it is a made-up construct that doesn't really exist. However, there have been various legal or unofficial rules in various places at various times. For example, in parts of the United States, the one-drop rule used to apply - anyone who was known to have any "black" ancestry at all, even 1%, was considered black. So the 51% thing, no, that isn't necessarily a thing. In modern times, race is more about how you feel and what your familial culture is than what your percentages are, but there remain various legal rules in various places for purposes of census or institutionalized racism, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,255 posts, read 14,298,122 times
Reputation: 12070
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
1. Human Race is a term that refers to all of humanity.
And humanity is a species, not a race. The term "human race" is a misnomer.

Quote:
2. You obviously missed the point that I was making, but I guess that it's more important to you to make yourself feel superior.
I did not miss your point, I just don't agree with it. This attempt to ignore race as though it doesn't exist is silly, if you ask me - as I said before to someone else, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging and embracing different races. Furthermore, whenever one of these topics crops up where someone is obviously struggling with how to define their racial identity and looking for advice on it, someone always chips in with this unhelpful "you are human" comment. That's not what the OP is asking so unless you have something useful and on topic to add, you're just derailing the topic. I am not trying to make myself feel superior, I just get annoyed when someone needs help, and other people try to make it about politics instead of helping the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,255 posts, read 14,298,122 times
Reputation: 12070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
A genealogist
Which genealogist and why is that one particular person the defining word on this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,255 posts, read 14,298,122 times
Reputation: 12070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Technically speaking, yes. That person is caucasian or white or european
No, that person is both white and black - they are of mixed race, and they are entitled to identify with whichever one they feel more comfortable with. You don't have the right to impose your ridiculous beliefs on other people, and your attempts to do so are incredibly rude, inconsiderate, and presumptuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM
 
5,669 posts, read 5,576,702 times
Reputation: 6771
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I think its more half and half, if i was 50% black and 50% white and had that white/black look people have, i then i would go by black/mixed. However again me and my sister don't look anything black. My sister is pale with straight hair, I have a olive/tan skin with straight/wavy hair so if we were to go by black people would laugh in our faces.
I have a friend who always checks off black on any of her forms and she doesn't look black at all.

Her mom is white and her dad is from Jamaica but he is probably pretty mixed as well.

That's just how she chooses to identify. No one has ever laughed in her face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM
AFP
 
7,238 posts, read 4,699,160 times
Reputation: 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?


There are other options I personally don't identify by race but by ancestry. I'm Portuguese with American citizenship was born in Portugal and moved to the US at a young age(I'm a cultural fusion and refuse to deny my heritage) although my ancestry falls under that umbrella of "white" according to most people's criteria. Anyway I don't feel any connection with the term white and refuse to answer racial questions on forms. White in the US to me is very Anglocentric and is based heavily on the biases, history and culture of the descendants Colonial Americans and I don't feel I fit into that group. These racial categories in the US are very ethnic centric Hispanic "Mexican centric", Black "descendants of black slaves" etc.

Last edited by AFP; 08-24-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains
634 posts, read 538,087 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi7 View Post
You do realise that, even though according to you I'm caucasian, nobody in the world sees nor treats me as caucasian because of my brown skin... So your genealogist can technically speaking kiss my *ss. That rule is BS and it seems everyone here thinks that too
If you die, and someone finds your bones, the Coroner and the FBI will classify you as CAUCASIAN.
And by the way, your bones do not have skin.
How do they know your race?, they don't even need a DNA test by the way.
Your CAUCASIAN skull is flat around the ears, you don't see this feature in other races. Hispanics have caucasian skull too, people from the middle east have caucasian skull, even people from northern India. Therefore, skin color does not matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains
634 posts, read 538,087 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There is no universally agreed-upon technical definition of race because it is a made-up construct that doesn't really exist. However, there have been various legal or unofficial rules in various places at various times. For example, in parts of the United States, the one-drop rule used to apply - anyone who was known to have any "black" ancestry at all, even 1%, was considered black. So the 51% thing, no, that isn't necessarily a thing. In modern times, race is more about how you feel and what your familial culture is than what your percentages are, but there remain various legal rules in various places for purposes of census or institutionalized racism, etc.
Only the NeoNazis are using your "one drop of black blood" rule.
Shame on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,564 posts, read 4,345,736 times
Reputation: 15828
Well, ethnicity seems to be about as fluid as gender, these days.

And when you get right down to it -- what difference does it make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top