Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There is no universally agreed-upon technical definition of race because it is a made-up construct that doesn't really exist. However, there have been various legal or unofficial rules in various places at various times. For example, in parts of the United States, the one-drop rule used to apply - anyone who was known to have any "black" ancestry at all, even 1%, was considered black. So the 51% thing, no, that isn't necessarily a thing. In modern times, race is more about how you feel and what your familial culture is than what your percentages are, but there remain various legal rules in various places for purposes of census or institutionalized racism, etc.
Not really true. I believe it was 1/32nd and it was in certain states. However, this is still a misnomer given the information I gave earlier, as that would mean that 31% of "white" people would be "black", but that isn't the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 05:18 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,429,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Only the NeoNazis are using your "one drop of black blood" rule.
Shame on you.
I said 'used to' and I did not in any way endorse it and that was clearly obvious in my post - I was just talking about history of how one's race was defined by society. Seriously, do people read before they respond? Shame on you for jumping to judgment where it is unwarranted and not taking the time to read a post fully before responding.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:22 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,429,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not really true. I believe it was 1/32nd and it was in certain states. However, this is still a misnomer given the information I gave earlier, as that would mean that 31% of "white" people would be "black", but that isn't the case.
I never claimed it was in all states, in fact I clearly indicated it was not. And I was not at all suggesting it be applied today - it was an example of how definition of race is fluid because it is a made up construct.
There may have been some states that said 1/32nd, but in some case it was any ancestors at all, if traceable. In practicality, it is unlikely that it could applied much further back than a few generations.

Mixed Race America - Who Is Black? One Nation's Definition | Jefferson's Blood | FRONTLINE | PBS
One Drop Rule - Encyclopedia of Arkansas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Old 08-24-2017, 05:25 PM

29 posts, read 26,347 times
Quote:
If you die, and someone finds your bones, the Coroner and the FBI will classify you as CAUCASIAN.
And by the way, your bones do not have skin.
How do they know your race?, they don't even need a DNA test by the way.
Your CAUCASIAN skull is flat around the ears, you don't see this feature in other races. Hispanics have caucasian skull too, people from the middle east have caucasian skull, even people from northern India. Therefore, skin color does not matter.
So I will need to die before I get recognized as white

And how do you know about my skull anyway?

Old 08-24-2017, 06:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,906,896 times
I would be African American on job or school applications for sure. That's a huge advantage! Take it! Bet it would get you scholarships/grants too.

I worked with a very Nordic looking woman once who was married to a Hispanic man so her last name was Hispanic. They eventually divorced and someone asked her why she hadn't gone back to her maiden name. She said her last name was her secret weapon and she could get any job she wanted. And she was right. She was an average employee, she did her job just like the rest of us, but she had much more opportunity and advancement than the rest of us did. Being able to check that one little box, Hispanic Surname, served her well.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I would be African American on job or school applications for sure. That's a huge advantage! Take it! Bet it would get you scholarships/grants too.

I worked with a very Nordic looking woman once who was married to a Hispanic man so her last name was Hispanic. They eventually divorced and someone asked her why she hadn't gone back to her maiden name. She said her last name was her secret weapon and she could get any job she wanted. And she was right. She was an average employee, she did her job just like the rest of us, but she had much more opportunity and advancement than the rest of us did. Being able to check that one little box, Hispanic Surname, served her well.
White High School Drop-Outs Are As Likely To Land Jobs As Black College Students
https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#24fd34d87b8f

New Study Confirms Depressing Truth About Names And Racial Bias
Scientist has “never been so disgusted” by his own data.

New Study Confirms Depressing Truth About Names And Racial Bias | HuffPost

Students with stereotypically “black”-sounding names tend to be labeled as troublemakers by teachers. Job applicants with such names are less likely than their white-sounding counterparts to get called in for interviews. When residents with “black”-sounding names contact their local government for information about schools or libraries, they are less likely to receive a response.

Adding to this troubling compendium of results is a disturbing new study, published Thursday in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior. The study of mostly white participants shows that men with black-sounding names are more likely to be imagined as physically large, dangerous and violent than those with stereotypically white-sounding names.

Black troops as much as twice as likely to be punished by commanders, courts
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rts/102555630/

Regarding minorities and scholarships:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Scholarships: Who Gets Them And Why? : NPR
"Mr. MARK KANTROWITZ (Publisher, Fastweb.com and Finaid.org; Author): Thank you for having me.

MARTIN: Now, you just heard Colby Bohannan say that he had a difficult time finding scholarships that he was eligible for. Is it true that minorities are more likely to receive college scholarships?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: In fact, they are less likely to receive college scholarships. And they represent about a third of the applicants, but only about 28 percent of the recipients. Caucasian students receive 72 percent of all scholarships. Minority students receive only 28 percent of all scholarships.

MARTIN: Why might that be so?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: Well, partly, the scholarship providers, private scholarships, are sponsored by individuals, and many times for people who are like themselves or who engage in activities like themselves. It's not deliberate discrimination, but, for example, very few minority students engage in equestrian sports, whereas Caucasian students might be more likely to. I mean, that's a pretty rare example. But it shows that when you have scholarships that are for characteristics that you value, then people like you are more likely to qualify for those awards."

Last edited by pacific2; 08-24-2017 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 06:54 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,906,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
White High School Drop-Outs Are As Likely To Land Jobs As Black College Students
https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#24fd34d87b8f

New Study Confirms Depressing Truth About Names And Racial Bias
Scientist has “never been so disgusted” by his own data.

New Study Confirms Depressing Truth About Names And Racial Bias | HuffPost

Students with stereotypically “black”-sounding names tend to be labeled as troublemakers by teachers. Job applicants with such names are less likely than their white-sounding counterparts to get called in for interviews. When residents with “black”-sounding names contact their local government for information about schools or libraries, they are less likely to receive a response.

Adding to this troubling compendium of results is a disturbing new study, published Thursday in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior. The study of mostly white participants shows that men with black-sounding names are more likely to be imagined as physically large, dangerous and violent than those with stereotypically white-sounding names.

Black troops as much as twice as likely to be punished by commanders, courts
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rts/102555630/
And then there is this. 'I faked being black to get into med school' - CNN Video

Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That guy is addressing affirmative action. It doesn't disprove the fact that minorities still have a harder time being hired and being promoted. BTW, I think it was in a HuffPost article where the same guy said that life was much rougher when he "passed" for black since he was profiled by cops while driving, falsely accused of attempted shoplifting, etc.

He's Asian, but he may one day encounter a glass-ceiling. The first article looks at the problem in technology, but it also exists in other industries.

Often Employees, Rarely CEOs: Challenges Asian-Americans Face In Tech
Often Employees, Rarely CEOs: Challenges Asian-Americans Face In Tech : NPR

A Bamboo Ceiling Keeps Asian-American Executives From Advancing
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...ancing?mcubz=1

How Asian Americans Can Break Through The Bamboo Ceiling
https://www.forbes.com/sites/liyanch.../#5bd2ce051e43

Last edited by pacific2; 08-24-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 PM

9,212 posts, read 10,973,608 times
Easy.

Get this bumper sticker: "Mafia Staff Car. Keep-a U-a Hands-a Off-a!"
Cultivate the Italian look. Shoes, hair, work on an accent.
Learn some Italian phrases. "Minda you owna businessa!"
Eat lots of pepperoni.

Have I left anything out?

Oh yeah. Mexican is not a race. It's a nationality. You should probably watch less TV "news" because they don't know that either.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 PM

42,721 posts, read 25,889,902 times
Quote:
In DNA test, "majority" rules.
If you are 60% European, you are Caucasian or White. Period.

If a person is 51% Black and 49% White, that person is Black. Period. Ask Condoleezza Rice about her DNA results.
I disagree, you are the race you most closely identify with, it's a matter of personal choice and dependent on the ethnic culture you most closely identify with. I have friend who has two white grandparents, a mixed grandfather and a black grandmother, so she's more than 50% white. But her black grandmother raised her almost from birth so she identifies as black, why wouldn't she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy