U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
If you die, and someone finds your bones, the Coroner and the FBI will classify you as CAUCASIAN.
And by the way, your bones do not have skin.
How do they know your race?, they don't even need a DNA test by the way.
Your CAUCASIAN skull is flat around the ears, you don't see this feature in other races. Hispanics have caucasian skull too, people from the middle east have caucasian skull, even people from northern India. Therefore, skin color does not matter.
I'm pretty sure that if someone is of mixed race - like 52% White and 48% Black, that it would show in their bones too. Or do you have any sources that say otherwise and support what you're saying? Are we meant to just take your word for it? Are your a coroner? Somehow I doubt it.

It's not just about skin color or skull shape - this topic is about DNA, and if the DNA shows one is of mixed race, then they can not be wholly defined as one race or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:39 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times
Quote:
Only the NeoNazis are using your "one drop of black blood" rule.
Shame on you.
otowi is not "using" that rule, they merely mentioned it as something that used to be used. Did you even read what was written, or just see the words "one drop rule" and have a complete knee jerk reaction?

Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 PM

634 posts, read 536,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I disagree, you are the race you most closely identify with, it's a matter of personal choice and dependent on the ethnic culture you most closely identify with. I have friend who has two white grandparents, a mixed grandfather and a black grandmother, so she's more than 50% white. But her black grandmother raised her almost from birth so she identifies as black, why wouldn't she?
Technically speaking she is white...!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 PM

634 posts, read 536,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm pretty sure that if someone is of mixed race - like 52% White and 48% Black, that it would show in their bones too. Or do you have any sources that say otherwise and support what you're saying? Are we meant to just take your word for it? Are your a coroner? Somehow I doubt it.

It's not just about skin color or skull shape - this topic is about DNA, and if the DNA shows one is of mixed race, then they can not be wholly defined as one race or another.
Of course, the Caucasian race has nothing to do with skin color. Has to do with some other features such as bone complexion.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:01 PM

33,623 posts, read 15,416,974 times
Quote:
If you die, and someone finds your bones, the Coroner and the FBI will classify you as CAUCASIAN.
And by the way, your bones do not have skin.
How do they know your race?, they don't even need a DNA test by the way.
Your CAUCASIAN skull is flat around the ears, you don't see this feature in other races. Hispanics have caucasian skull too, people from the middle east have caucasian skull, even people from northern India. Therefore, skin color does not matter.
That's not true. Forensic anthropologists don't deal in absolutes, you will never find one claim with 100% certainty that remains are definitely caucasian or any other race. There are variations within racial populations and when you consider people of mixed ancestry the ability to determine race becomes even more difficult. When they know a good deal about the origin of the skull, i.e. it was found in West Africa they still can't claim better than 85% accuracy.

"Cranial features are not perfect indicators of ancestry: Forensic anthropologists using multiple features claim at best 85% accuracy in their assessment of racial ancestry. When we know less about the context of a skull, we will be less and less accurate."

Cranial features and race · john hawks weblog

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98485&page=1

Old 08-25-2017, 05:00 AM

29 posts, read 16,325 times
Quote:
Technically speaking she is white...!
I think Ozarknation suffers from autism
Since he can only see things black or white
I get what you're saying but you're thinking too simplistic
I may have caucasoid bones and skull... No idea how you know
But that doesn't tell if I have African DNA or not
And now **** off with that BS

Last edited by Sergi7; 08-25-2017 at 05:16 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 05:37 AM

25,594 posts, read 18,664,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

I don't understand this unless we are talking about adoptees who don't know their families. If both your parents are white it is impossible to be 48% black. On the commercial the lady discovers she is "26% native American" again that is only possible if one of your grandparents is 100% full blooded Native American.

If you know where you parents are grandparents are from, those other mixed bits are tiny percentages, not 35% this and 24% that

My parents and grandparents are from Germany and Russia. If a DNA test shows me as 24% Asian, or 19% African, it is simply not true, it is not mathematically possible.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:07 AM

6,085 posts, read 8,939,475 times
The race you should go by is human.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:26 AM
AFP

7,238 posts, read 4,690,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't understand this unless we are talking about adoptees who don't know their families. If both your parents are white it is impossible to be 48% black. On the commercial the lady discovers she is "26% native American" again that is only possible if one of your grandparents is 100% full blooded Native American.

If you know where you parents are grandparents are from, those other mixed bits are tiny percentages, not 35% this and 24% that

My parents and grandparents are from Germany and Russia. If a DNA test shows me as 24% Asian, or 19% African, it is simply not true, it is not mathematically possible.

Those results are common among Latin Americans many of whom are a mixture of European, West African and Amerindian. It is fairly common for Latin Americans with "European phenotypes" not to know they carry West African and Amerindian admixture. The mixture in some cases occurred hundreds of years ago and their entire family looks "European". For example people that show 10% West African on these tests or less rarely have any "West African" phenotypes. I know someone who tested his wife who is Brazilian and she looks like she carries some Amerindian in her I would not have guessed she is mixed with West African. The results came back 6% Amerindian, 21% West African and 73% European, for some reason the African phenotypes don't come through on her but the Amerindian one's do.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:47 AM

33,623 posts, read 15,416,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
On the commercial the lady discovers she is "26% native American" again that is only possible if one of your grandparents is 100% full blooded Native American.
I understand the point that you are trying to make, but if a DNA test showed that you were 26% native american that would not necessarily mean that one of your grandparents is 100% native American. You could have two grandparents who were each half native american, or four grandparents who were each 1/4 native american, or some other combination. This is more common than you might think in states like Oklahoma which has a relatively large native american population. You have 64 Great-great-great-great-grandparents, you inherit appx. 1.56% of your DNA from each, but DNA is passed on in chunks so you might have inherited 2% from one GGGG and 1.12% from another. Unless you have a thoroughly documented genealogy you can't make a lot of assumptions about your ethnic origins from your DNA. For example, a DNA test done at 23 and me or Ancestry is done from a snippet of your DNA and entirely misses the DNA of many of your relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or