Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:24 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Of course, the Caucasian race has nothing to do with skin color. Has to do with some other features such as bone complexion.
You've completely missed my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't understand this unless we are talking about adoptees who don't know their families. If both your parents are white it is impossible to be 48% black.
I never said otherwise. We're talking about people of mixed race.

Quote:
On the commercial the lady discovers she is "26% native American" again that is only possible if one of your grandparents is 100% full blooded Native American.
Incorrect. Hispanics often have high levels of Native American DNA without one of their grandparents being full blooded. It's because they have many Native American ancestors from further back.

For example - let's say the person has 8 full blooded Native American 3rd great grandparents (out of 32)... that adds up to 25% or 26%. This is very common among people in Latin America. The average isn't always as high as 26%, it depends on the country - but for example, Mexicans are on average as much as 45-50% Native American. That doesn't mean most of them have one full blooded Native American parent, it could mean about 32 of their 64 4th great grandparents were full blooded Native American. I'm simplifying it a little bit, as the last full blooded ancestors may have been from different generations - but hopefully you get the point.

Quote:
If you know where you parents are grandparents are from, those other mixed bits are tiny percentages, not 35% this and 24% that
But we're not talking about tiny bits... the post of mine that you quoted is talking about people of mixed race, with significant percentages in more than one race. I'm not sure why that concept is difficult for you to grasp, but that's what we're talking about.

Quote:
My parents and grandparents are from Germany and Russia. If a DNA test shows me as 24% Asian, or 19% African, it is simply not true, it is not mathematically possible.
No one has said otherwise, so I'm not sure why you're fixated on this.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I never said otherwise. We're talking about people of mixed race.

Incorrect. Hispanics often have high levels of Native American DNA without one of their grandparents being full blooded. It's because they have many Native American ancestors from further back.

For example - let's say the person has 8 full blooded Native American 3rd great grandparents (out of 32)... that adds up to 25% or 26%. This is very common among people in Latin America. The average isn't always as high as 26%, it depends on the country - but for example, Mexicans are on average as much as 45-50% Native American. That doesn't mean most of them have one full blooded Native American parent, it could mean about 32 of their 64 4th great grandparents were full blooded Native American. I'm simplifying it a little bit, as the last full blooded ancestors may have been from different generations - but hopefully you get the point.

But we're not talking about tiny bits... the post of mine that you quoted is talking about people of mixed race, with significant percentages in more than one race. I'm not sure why that concept is difficult for you to grasp, but that's what we're talking about.

No one has said otherwise, so I'm not sure why you're fixated on this.

I'm sorry but you need to review math and how percentage works. It is physically and mathematically impossible to be 1/4 anything without 1 grandparent being full blooded. Lots of people with lesser percentages cannot be added to make a person 25% of any nationality.

It bothers me because I feel like these companies are taking advantage of people.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:38 AM

225 posts, read 191,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The race you should go by is human.
Agreed!

Old 08-25-2017, 11:02 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but you need to review math and how percentage works. It is physically and mathematically impossible to be 1/4 anything without 1 grandparent being full blooded. Lots of people with lesser percentages cannot be added to make a person 25% of any nationality.
That's not correct. I thought I had explained it adequately but if not please research this on your own.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Quote:

It bothers me because I feel like these companies are taking advantage of people.

Let's say one grandparent is 3/4 German, two others are 1/8 German, and the fourth has no German ancestry. The grandchild would be 25% German.

Or even easier, two grandparents are each half German, and the other two grandparents have no German ancestry. The child is 25% German.
.5 x .25 + .5 x .25 + 0 x .25 + 0 x .25 = .25

Last edited by chicagobear; 08-25-2017 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 01:17 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:

The discussion is not about nationality. Your nationality is determined by your citizenship in a particular country.

If you are a citizen of Mexico you are 100% Mexican.

Citizens of Mexico will have varying percentages of DNA from different ethnicities, commonly European, African, and Amerindian.

Those percentages you are concerned about are not based on the number of ancestors you have but the amount of DNA that has been shown to come from comparison groups of people of known ethnicity. Amerindian can be problematic because the comparison group is limited. Someone can have Native American ancestors but DNA testing will not pick it up because there is no one in the comparison group who has known ancestry from the same tribe.

Several people have explained to you how the math works. The percentages do not require a recent full blooded ancestor of any ethnicity.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:02 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
If you choose Italian, you must learn this list: https://americanitalian.net/2009/04/14/italian/

Old 08-25-2017, 02:19 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
Blacks have long known they were part white.
No, this is new.

I had never heard nor did it cross my mind that anybody was partially white before the advent of genetic testing (the last 15 years maybe). Black Americans don't traditionally see themselves as being at all related to white people. People would sooner say that they were part "indian" if anything else other than black.

I didn't even notice unless it was somebody who was decidedly white-looking.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, this is new.

I had never heard nor did it cross my mind that anybody was partially white before the advent of genetic testing (the last 15 years maybe). Black Americans don't traditionally see themselves as being at all related to white people. People would sooner say that they were part "indian" if anything else other than black.

I didn't even notice unless it was somebody who was decidedly white-looking.
It's not new at all.

Pike County, OH: As Black as We Wish to Be - State of the Re:Union
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy