U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:29 PM
AFP

7,238 posts, read 4,692,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Only that my Y-DNA is: R1b1b2a1a2f*
Which is Irish or Basque
My MtDNA is : C1
Which is Native American

R-L21 isn't Irish or Basque there are branches with origins in Central Europe take a look at Y-Full. There is so much false and outdated information on the internet regarding L21 Y-Full is the most updated and reliable.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L21/

One doesn't need to have an East Asian or South Asian Y-DNA haplogroup to have these segments speckled in their 22 pairs of autosomes it isn't as rare as some people think and could be related to deep ancestry several thousands of years back or within the last 500 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 PM

634 posts, read 537,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
R-L21 isn't Irish or Basque there are branches with origins in Central Europe take a look at Y-Full. There is so much false and outdated information on the internet regarding L21 Y-Full is the most updated and reliable.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L21/

One doesn't need to have an East Asian or South Asian Y-DNA haplogroup to have these segments speckled in their 22 pairs of autosomes it isn't as rare as some people think and could be related to deep ancestry several thousands of years back or within the last 500 years.
I agree, L21 is from central europe and immigrated to the British Islands as per this map. But they are in higher concentration at the British Islands

Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 PM
AFP

Quote:
I agree, L21 is from central europe and immigrated to the British Islands as per this map. But they are in higher concentration at the British Islands
Yes that seems to be the case but one thing to consider is that genealogy and DNA testing is most often done by people descended from the Isles and Y-DNA testing is illegal in France where there appears to be is a significant L21 population.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 AM

2,673 posts, read 4,281,088 times
Quote:
If you got further testing you most likely won't have one of the common subclades in Ireland e.g. M222, L226 etc. L21 is high up the tree and most people belong to a subclade further down.

L21 didn't originate in Ireland or Britain but somewhere on the European continent as AFP has explained very well.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:51 PM

504 posts, read 641,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yes that seems to be the case but one thing to consider is that genealogy and DNA testing is most often done by people descended from the Isles and Y-DNA testing is illegal in France where there appears to be is a significant L21 population.
Why is Y-DNA testing illegal in France? Just curious

Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,288,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
Why is Y-DNA testing illegal in France? Just curious
Apparently paternity tests are illegal in France - but that's not the same thing as a Y-DNA test. A paternity test is one that compares child (of either gender) and father and says "this person is/is not your biological father". Y-DNA doesn't do that so I'm not convinced Y-DNA is included in this ban.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:14 PM

504 posts, read 641,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Apparently paternity tests are illegal in France - but that's not the same thing as a Y-DNA test. A paternity test is one that compares child (of either gender) and father and says "this person is/is not your biological father". Y-DNA doesn't do that so I'm not convinced Y-DNA is included in this ban.
Interesting! Thanks!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think this article would clear things up but I don't have access to the full text and don't want to pay.

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...hg201731a.html

Old 09-20-2017, 02:46 PM

13,452 posts, read 25,358,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Mine from Dodecad:
40.00 W Europe
9.36 E Europe
20.19 Mediterranean
8.28 W Asian
2.14 S Asian
9.72 NE Asian
3.89 SE Asian
0.75 SW Asian
0.00 E African
1.83 Neo-African
1.86 NW African
1.99 Palaeo-African

I'm assuming the Asian is Native American, as that is what it shakes out as on other Gedmatch tests (I'm of Mexican descent).

After fooling with other Gedmatch tests some more, the European parts seem to not be what I thought they would be. I have an AncestryDNA test processing, which may confirm my findings (or not).

I'm just going to go by "man" from now on.
Ok, so I got my AncestryDNA results back.

I go into this thinking my Ancestry is as follows:
Paternal Grandfather: Mexican
Paternal Grandmother: Mexican
Maternal Grandfather: Scottish, Mexican, Spanish
Maternal Grandmother: Swedish, Scottish

In the quoted area are my Dodecad results, which don't terribly dispel any of this. GenesForGood has me as 77% European, 20% Native American, and 3% Sub-Saharan African.

Many of the Gedmatch calculators showed a lot of French/German/etc, which was not expected.

AncestryDNA:
4% Africa
-all Low Confidence

73% Europe
-28% Ireland, 15% Iberia, 15% Great Britain, 8% Europe West, remainder Low Confidence
-The Irish is a surprise, as I never had any indication of having it prior to this. The lack of Scandinavian is throwing me for a loop, however (it shows as 1% Low Confidence).

20% Native American
-It has me in a Genetic Community centered on West-Central Mexico (Jalisco/Aguascalientes/Guanajuato/Michoacan) with 95% confidence, however, I have no knowledge of any family from those locations. My paternal grandfather was born in Durango (but brought to California by age 6), my paternal grandmother's parents were from Zacatecas and San Luis Potosi (though she herself was born in New Mexico), and my maternal grandfather's maternal family was from Sonora and Chihuahua (my understanding of them is that they were more directly from Spain). Interestingly, AncestryDNA's section on this shows the typical migration patterns of people, and it shows West-Central Mexicans moving further north within Mexico and into the Southwest US over the last three centuries, which would indeed match my known history.

Both Low Confidence:
<1% Pacific Islander
2% Middle East

Also, it shows my maternal grandmother and a paternal aunt as Extremely High Confidence matches.

My maternal grandmother also shows as predominately Irish, but also shows as Scandinavian (which I only show 1%/LC), and as Finland/NW Russia (which I don't show at all). Hmmm.

My paternal aunt (who to my knowledge would show mostly as Mexican/Iberian) also shows some Great Britain/Ireland, along with a lot more diverse traces of Africa.

Further on down, I see my maternal grandmother's half-brother (they share a mother, and the two fathers are twin brothers), and my paternal grandmother's maiden name a few times.

In the end:
-I can infer that my parents are indeed my parents
-I'm Irish, and get to learn to embrace it (my wife found out that she is too {she thought she was German all along}, and she had a huge Scandinavian surprise on hers)
-I can more accurately infer where my deep roots in Mexico are

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or