U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 AM

50,729 posts, read 40,119,236 times

Advertisements

Hey, guess what your DNA test proved? YOU'RE HUMAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 AM

4,482 posts, read 3,629,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
Thankyou for your response and honestly up until this point i have never really felt like i would be in any group. i grew up in very white areas, had mostly white friends however my dads side has a huge obsession with the mexican culture and turns out I'm only 10% mexican. Which is a huge dissapointment as i expected much higher.
Why? Way I'd interpret those results is that you're Latino 365/10 = 36.5 days per year, then. Plenty of time to roll in the major Mexican holidays.

Or, you could claim to be Latino for 1440/10 = 144 minutes = 2 hr 24 minutes/day. Again, tons of time to stop by for a Espanol conversation or party appearance, each day actually, if you watch your time carefully!

(Cannot wait for my 23andMe results, due in a few weeks if their timetables are accurate. Hope I have an interesting surprise or two as well, though "assume" will be 90%+ British Isles Irish.)

Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 AM

50,729 posts, read 40,119,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Why? Way I'd interpret those results is that you're Latino 365/10 = 36.5 days per year, then. Plenty of time to roll in the major Mexican holidays.

Or, you could claim to be Latino for 1440/10 = 144 minutes = 2 hr 24 minutes/day. Again, tons of time to stop by for a Espanol conversation or party appearance, each day actually, if you watch your time carefully!

(Cannot wait for my 23andMe results, due in a few weeks if their timetables are accurate. Hope I have an interesting surprise or two as well, though "assume" will be 90%+ British Isles Irish.)
LOL my entire family history was chock full of stories of Indian princesses, dark strangers, gypsies, Jews, etc so I was super interested in my 23andme DNA results.

I am truly, honestly, the whitest person I know. 99 percent of my DNA comes from countries surrounding the North and Baltic Seas. The other 1 percent in simply "European." As suspected, about 70 percent was from the British Isles. Strangely, considering my maiden name is German and we know we have lots of Germans on one side of the family, my DNA is only 7 percent "German/French."

Unless you match my 100 percent stuff, I'm officially the whitest person I know. Your results will be color coded. My results are all dark blue - except for a tiny sliver of black - which stands for the (previously unknown) dash of Finnish ancestry that showed up.

My husband looks like a Hitler prototype for the Perfect Aryan Man - blonde hair, blue eyes, chiseled features. OMG - He's got a little bit of everything in him and his color chart came back looking like a freaking rainbow! Meanwhile, I have dark hair and dark eyes. Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Anyway, I say all that to say this - some people have actually asked me if I was "disappointed" in my DNA results - because they weren't exotic. What? Why on earth would I be disappointed? Why would anyone be upset or disappointed by where their ancestors came from (unless of course they found out about some drama about who their mama or daddy REALLY was, or something like that)? Every corner of the world is chock full of so much interesting history and stories of humanity's survival. It's all good. I mean, I understand being INTERESTED in the topic of ancestry, but it doesn't change who we are or our worth or whatever, and why on earth should a DNA test change the way we categorize ourselves to others?

Heck, I don't even bother filling out most of those questionnaires that ask about race or ethnicity. I usually leave that portion blank, unless it has something to do with health.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,464,408 times
I think most Americans who are 30% West African are going to identify as black.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM

18 posts, read 14,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I think most Americans who are 30% West African are going to identify as black.
I think its more half and half, if i was 50% black and 50% white and had that white/black look people have, i then i would go by black/mixed. However again me and my sister don't look anything black. My sister is pale with straight hair, I have a olive/tan skin with straight/wavy hair so if we were to go by black people would laugh in our faces.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:58 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Ignore the results and go by the race you identify as. Genetics do not matter in today's world, you can be whatever you feel like you are.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 AM

941 posts, read 730,348 times
Welcome to the crew Brotha!!!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 AM

51 posts, read 21,783 times
Quote:
I agree the terms are very confusing, even before i posted on this forum i actually looked up the defintions of latin, hispanic, spanish so i wouldnt get ridiculed on here. Heres the weird part my last name is from spain yet I'm only 2% spanish? I used DNA Ancestry. Despite me only being 2% spanish and 8% italian I look like i came from those regions or even from the middle eastern regions even though my ancestry comes mainly from scandinavia and britian.
Gotcha. AncestryDNA is the other one I've used. Their categories are a little bit broader, and they go back about a thousand years, whereas 23andMe has a few more specific categories, and they claim to go back only about 500 years, so their percentages are supposedly a bit more precise and recent. In fact, I was just on a 23andMe thread where a woman who believed she was almost exclusively British descent, was wondering why she had so much "Scandinavian" in two of her three DNA tests (23andMe also had her as partially Scandinavian, but not as much as the other two tests).

Phenotypes can definitely throw people for a surprise, and we can't always tell someone's alleged ethnicities or nationalities by sight alone. I've been on several forums before where there are threads devoted to people trying to guess each other's ancestry, and it's interesting just how divergent the responses can be. No one ever thinks I have Scandinavian ancestry, for example, but I have approximately 10%. The general consensus is that I "look" mostly Irish, even though I have Irish relatives only on my dad's mother's side. I'm technically mostly "British," and secondarily Germanic, if one triangulates by percentages and family history/paper trail.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:16 PM

9,257 posts, read 14,321,192 times
Quote:
I agree the terms are very confusing, even before i posted on this forum i actually looked up the defintions of latin, hispanic, spanish so i wouldnt get ridiculed on here. Heres the weird part my last name is from spain yet I'm only 2% spanish? I used DNA Ancestry. Despite me only being 2% spanish and 8% italian I look like i came from those regions or even from the middle eastern regions even though my ancestry comes mainly from scandinavia and britian.
As I said, the sub-continental results are not necessarily totally accurate. Did you test with Ancestry.com? If so, they actually show you a percentage range, not just the final hard percentage. What is your range for Iberian? The Italian results may just be a part of your Spanish ancestry - Spain and Italy share a lot of DNA because they both Mediterranean.

It is possible you are Hispanic - although most people from Latin America don't have quite that high of African results. Most are a mix of European and Native American, with smaller portions of African.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:26 PM

5,194 posts, read 6,764,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, the results are pretty accurate in determining different continents. It's the sub-continental regions that are only really estimates and shouldn't be taken too literally. Also the idea that everyone is mixed - well, it may be true if you could go back far enough but within the time frame the ethnicity reports reflex, there are often people who come back 100% European or 100% African, etc.

What your results mean is that you are of mixed race. I'm sorry you're unhappy with that but it looks like that is the case. How you choose to define yourself from here is really not something anyone else can tell you.
OP, I agree with this. Factually, you are of a mixed racial background. What you do with that information is entirely up to you. Also, although it is not that unusual to occasionally find African DNA in some American whites, your SSA percentage is very high.

Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans
By Lizzie WadeDec. 18, 2014
Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

“You see all of those different ancestries in each of these groups,” Bryc explains. The average African-American genome, for example, is 73.2% African, 24% European, and 0.8% Native American, the team reports online today in The American Journal of Human Genetics. Latinos, meanwhile, carry an average of 18% Native American ancestry, 65.1% European ancestry (mostly from the Iberian Peninsula), and 6.2% African ancestry...

...At least 3.5% of European Americans carry African ancestry, though the averages vary significantly by state. In South Carolina and Louisiana, about 12% of European Americans have at least 1% African ancestry. In Louisiana, too, about 8% of European Americans carry at least 1% Native American ancestry."

What this all means is that the majority of American whites show zero African DNA in their results.

Last edited by pacific2; 08-21-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or