U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 14,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As I said, the sub-continental results are not necessarily totally accurate. Did you test with Ancestry.com? If so, they actually show you a percentage range, not just the final hard percentage. What is your range for Iberian? The Italian results may just be a part of your Spanish ancestry - Spain and Italy share a lot of DNA because they both Mediterranean.

It is possible you are Hispanic - although most people from Latin America don't have quite that high of African results. Most are a mix of European and Native American, with smaller portions of African.
My range for the Iberian peninsula was only 0-7 percent while for italy it was only 0-14 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM

2,701 posts, read 2,515,451 times
Pick whatever you like; Elizabeth Warren picked native American cause she had high cheek bones, even though it was a lie.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:14 PM

29 posts, read 16,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?
First off; No, you are NOT hispanic. Hispanic people are not necessarily mixed with native american. Besides; Hispanic refers to a group from a particular cultural region and is not necessarily an indication of someones ethnicity. If you would really want to adress the ethnicity of what you call Hispanic people, then nine out of ten times they would be defined as mixed with mostly Iberian peninsula, native american and West or Central-African ancestry. You miss the Iberian peninsula part in your admix, plus like I said, it refers to a cultural group which you are not a part of. There are also 100% black Colombians etc. they're also concidered Latin or hispanic. As for the words Latino and Latina, those two are very recent and modern words and in the South and Central-American Spanish speakers context don't really define an ethnicity, but more a cultural group. It's derived from the latin name for the ancient Latins (the ancestors of the Italians, Spanish and Portuguese). So the only ethnic group that could really be called ethnic Hispanics or Latino's are the European descendants of the Latins (Italian, Spanish and Portuguese people). So really, south americans and mexicans are only cultural Hispanics... I can imagine many people will ridicule this comment, but it's based on historical facts. Most use of the words Latino, Latina or hispanic are based on merely ignorance about the historical meaning of the words.

Second; I feel your pain. I'm very mixed too (7 ethnicities). I just filter the low percentages (like; 1,1% etc) and the ones I don't identify with. Then I come to English(29,9%), African(38%) and Jewish(10%). That is also how I describe my ethnicity in social settings.

So you are white, native american and black. Why would you have to choose one anyway? (Serious question: Do you suffer from autism or anything like that? Cause then I would understand your dilemma). If you need to choose one, then go by the one (or ones) you emotionally feel the most connected to, whatever your appearance looks like. Don't let anyone tell you what you are or what you should feel like. It's not that you suddenly say you are Ashkenazi Jewish while it's not in your ancestry estimate. Just identify with the one you feel the most affinity with and feel most connected to.

Last edited by Sergi7; 08-21-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 01:16 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,008,394 times
I'd just go by white, if I were you.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:16 PM

29 posts, read 16,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
I have a somewhat similar result with my test and I consider myself mixed (though I also understood this anyway because my parents are two different races). I tend to select Other or Two or More Races on forms.

It is important that you define your "label" and not anyone else. You should always be who you are no matter what people see or feel you to be. I am all kinds of ethnicities to various people, but my own definition is always primary.

And yes, with Mexican ancestry, you can select Hispanic as your ethnicity...though no one will force you to do so.

Hope that helps. :-)
Isn't mexican native the same as native american? A native american person is not hispanic/latino. He just descends from native americans who lived where what now is called Mexico... So in that case the answer would be no

Old 08-21-2017, 01:26 PM

25,223 posts, read 30,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?
What race did you consider yourself to be before you tested?

Old 08-21-2017, 01:43 PM

4,467 posts, read 2,019,093 times
use whatever gets you the grant. Or choose "decline to state"

Old 08-21-2017, 02:02 PM

16,207 posts, read 8,493,622 times
Whatever is most comfortable for you.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:03 PM

16,207 posts, read 8,493,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
In DNA test, "majority" rules.
If you are 60% European, you are Caucasian or White. Period.

If a person is 51% Black and 49% White, that person is Black. Period. Ask Condoleezza Rice about her DNA results.

On this, I have people in my family between 12% and 30% African and they claim "black" since they were raised as a black person. Other family members have the same percentage but were raised in a white household and claim "white."

It depends IMO on the cultural upbringing of the individual and how they identify themselves.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:07 PM

9,255 posts, read 14,298,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi7 View Post
First off; No, you are NOT hispanic.
You don't know that. It's true people from Latin America are from varied backgrounds, but a large portion of them do have Native American ancestry. On average: "18% Native American ancestry, 65.1% European ancestry (mostly from the Iberian Peninsula), and 6.2% African ancestry".

Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

It varies by location of course though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic..._Latin_America

Also, with most DNA tests, the majority of the samples for the Native American group are from Latin America - so people with NA ancestry in Latin America are more likely to get results in that category than people who have NA ancestry in the USA.

I'm not saying he is definitely Hispanic, just that he could be, at least in part.

Jon, AncestryDNA only has one category for Native American including all of the Americas, it does not specify "Native Mexican" - so how do know it's Mexican? Do you already know some of your ancestry is from Mexico? Have you done any research on your family tree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or