U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 14,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the only time i ever been ask was by the government, nobody else cares
I agree mostly however race also determines how much scholarhsip money you get for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM

5,142 posts, read 6,727,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I agree mostly however race also determines how much scholarhsip money you get for college.
Scholarships: Who Gets Them And Why? : NPR
"Mr. MARK KANTROWITZ (Publisher, Fastweb.com and Finaid.org; Author): Thank you for having me.

MARTIN: Now, you just heard Colby Bohannan say that he had a difficult time finding scholarships that he was eligible for. Is it true that minorities are more likely to receive college scholarships?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: In fact, they are less likely to receive college scholarships. And they represent about a third of the applicants, but only about 28 percent of the recipients. Caucasian students receive 72 percent of all scholarships. Minority students receive only 28 percent of all scholarships.

MARTIN: Why might that be so?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: Well, partly, the scholarship providers, private scholarships, are sponsored by individuals, and many times for people who are like themselves or who engage in activities like themselves. It's not deliberate discrimination, but, for example, very few minority students engage in equestrian sports, whereas Caucasian students might be more likely to. I mean, that's a pretty rare example. But it shows that when you have scholarships that are for characteristics that you value, then people like you are more likely to qualify for those awards."

Old 08-21-2017, 03:53 PM

18 posts, read 14,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Scholarships: Who Gets Them And Why? : NPR
"Mr. MARK KANTROWITZ (Publisher, Fastweb.com and Finaid.org; Author): Thank you for having me.

MARTIN: Now, you just heard Colby Bohannan say that he had a difficult time finding scholarships that he was eligible for. Is it true that minorities are more likely to receive college scholarships?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: In fact, they are less likely to receive college scholarships. And they represent about a third of the applicants, but only about 28 percent of the recipients. Caucasian students receive 72 percent of all scholarships. Minority students receive only 28 percent of all scholarships.

MARTIN: Why might that be so?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: Well, partly, the scholarship providers, private scholarships, are sponsored by individuals, and many times for people who are like themselves or who engage in activities like themselves. It's not deliberate discrimination, but, for example, very few minority students engage in equestrian sports, whereas Caucasian students might be more likely to. I mean, that's a pretty rare example. But it shows that when you have scholarships that are for characteristics that you value, then people like you are more likely to qualify for those awards."
Thank you for that valubale information, that literally proves so many people wrong who assume i got into college due to them considering me a minority status.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:24 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,460,648 times
Quote:
I googled her and she looks very black to me, I would guess 70+% black maybe? Her hair is pretty curly/nappy and her skin is darker than mine. However since you pointed her out specifically I am going to guess maybe she might be the rare cases of high european ancestry but looks black?

Well, if Obama is 50%, she is much lighter than him.

So do you look like Derek Jeter? He has a small amount of African ancestry I think.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:26 PM

6,161 posts, read 3,082,844 times
Quote:
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?
The Human Race...

Old 08-21-2017, 05:21 PM

3,221 posts, read 5,925,482 times
Quote:
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?
How about other?

Old 08-21-2017, 05:23 PM

4,461 posts, read 2,462,773 times
Quote:

How about American - we all have DNA like that.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:24 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,526,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am in the same boat as you.

According to my heritage, I am English, Irish and Hispanic, which (as far as I'm concerned) means that I am "Caucasian" b/c "Hispanic" isn't a race.

However, on most stupid ****ing census forms, you can only choose either "Caucasian (non-Hispanic)" or "Hispanic."

So, I usually choose not to answer or choose "Other" or check both boxes (Caucasian and Hispanic) even though the form tells you to only choose one.

I really don't understand how a country that supposedly lauds the multi-ethnic heritages of its people (cf. "the melting pot") can consistently present census forms that allow people to check only ONE box
Well said! I've never understand it either!

Old 08-21-2017, 06:03 PM

11,173 posts, read 4,425,156 times
You're mostly white from European countries, so I would go by that. Just because you're tan and dark skinned doesn't really mean anything. My husband gets extremely dark in the summer. He's Croatian. I'm a bunch of different nationalities so I just say I'm a mutt, lol!

Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 PM

634 posts, read 537,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You're mostly white from European countries, so I would go by that. Just because you're tan and dark skinned doesn't really mean anything. My husband gets extremely dark in the summer. He's Croatian. I'm a bunch of different nationalities so I just say I'm a mutt, lol!
I agree 100%.
The Caucasian race has nothing to do with skin color. My boss is 100% italian from Sicily and he looks like Danny DeVito, with dark skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or