U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM

25,136 posts, read 30,041,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I would honestly put down something different every time, and tbh sometimes i put down white, sometimes mixed and sometimes hispanic. Probabaly mostly hispanic now that i think about it.
If you do not identify strongly with one of the ethnicities in your heritage, it looks like the category that best describes both your DNA and your ethnic identity is mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 08:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,462,982 times
OP, I honestly don't understand getting DNA results that cause an identity crisis.

At least one line of my family doesn't not genetically line up with what is identified via DNA, loosely. But they acknowledge and honor the culture in which I feel that I belong.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM

I am sitting here wondering how a DNA test could cause anyone to have a true identity crisis outside of simply not knowing a missing parent or something along those lines?

I do think that I have, and my parents have over my life, acknowledged in some manner most of my DNA results.

But I am still black American. And that is the culture that I love and celebrate. No DNA test could ever tell me otherwise.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 PM

18 posts, read 14,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I am sitting here wondering how a DNA test could cause anyone to have a true identity crisis outside of simply not knowing a missing parent or something along those lines?

I do think that I have, and my parents have over my life, acknowledged in some manner most of my DNA results.

But I am still black American. And that is the culture that I love and celebrate. No DNA test could ever tell me otherwise.
Its because both of my parent have tried to cling to there minority sides and not acknowledge there white sides. Its truly strange...

Old 08-21-2017, 09:45 PM

18 posts, read 14,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You're mostly white from European countries, so I would go by that. Just because you're tan and dark skinned doesn't really mean anything. My husband gets extremely dark in the summer. He's Croatian. I'm a bunch of different nationalities so I just say I'm a mutt, lol!
I noticed a lot of tan europeans in spain while i was there, somehow my sister is pale.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Its because both of my parent have tried to cling to there minority sides and not acknowledge there white sides. Its truly strange...

Do they cling or is that the culture that they acknowledge?

I do know from my time at 23andMe that some really "white" people didn't want to be such. Where is that WaViking who used to post here? He knows... People at 23andMe didn't want to be 99% and such Euro.

That was sad.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:20 AM

82,453 posts, read 75,505,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
What your results mean is that you are of mixed race. I'm sorry you're unhappy with that but it looks like that is the case. How you choose to define yourself from here is really not something anyone else can tell you.
This is funny! So this is what this day and age of DNA analysis has come to; some of us are suddenly faced with a dilemma regarding how we might define ourselves.

OP, how you define yourself, in your case, can be situational. For social purposes, you can be white/Europoid, as you have been all your life. And that's the majority input anyway, so--not a big deal, right? But on a census form, or other form that asks for race, you can put "mixed". Or "other", and write in, "Hell if I know!" Have fun with it. Fake out the bean-counters.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 AM

82,453 posts, read 75,505,353 times
Quote:
I would honestly put down something different every time, and tbh sometimes i put down white, sometimes mixed and sometimes hispanic. Probabaly mostly hispanic now that i think about it.
It's not even that simple, OP. You said "native Mexican". That sounds like Native American/Indigenous to me. So you could put that. Which minority culture are your parents into? What culture and language were you raised in at home? Do you have any idea which part of Mexico the so-called "Hispanic" element is from (if it is, in fact, Indigenous Mexican)?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:20 AM

29 posts, read 16,325 times
Quote:
Thats just their choise and not strange at all. Comon bro, why do you need an internet forum to determine what race you should feel like. The more I think about it, the more silly it sounds. Comes off as if your not standing firm in your shoes

Old 08-22-2017, 05:15 AM

8,837 posts, read 3,609,403 times
Quote:
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?

You didn't know who your parents or ancestors were?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or