U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 05:17 AM

18 posts, read 14,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Do they cling or is that the culture that they acknowledge?

I do know from my time at 23andMe that some really "white" people didn't want to be such. Where is that WaViking who used to post here? He knows... People at 23andMe didn't want to be 99% and such Euro.

That was sad.
They defintley acknowledge that culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 AM

18 posts, read 14,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is funny! So this is what this day and age of DNA analysis has come to; some of us are suddenly faced with a dilemma regarding how we might define ourselves.

OP, how you define yourself, in your case, can be situational. For social purposes, you can be white/Europoid, as you have been all your life. And that's the majority input anyway, so--not a big deal, right? But on a census form, or other form that asks for race, you can put "mixed". Or "other", and write in, "Hell if I know!" Have fun with it. Fake out the bean-counters.
Thank you, i pretty much have my question answered(pretty much both mix and white), and i just want to say thank you to everyone else for providing me with some help on what i should "define" myself as. I'm pretty sure i gave you all some rep points too.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:32 AM

9,255 posts, read 14,300,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
OP, I honestly don't understand getting DNA results that cause an identity crisis.
I don't think the DNA test caused it, it sounds like he was conflicted even before taking the test. I'm guessing he hoped the DNA test would help him figure it out.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
Its because both of my parent have tried to cling to there minority sides and not acknowledge there white sides. Its truly strange...
There's nothing wrong with identifying more with their minority sides - unless they are outright denying that they even have white ancestry, I don't see anything wrong with it. If you feel you identify more with your white side, that is fine too.

Last edited by PA2UK; 08-22-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 07:45 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,803,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, the results are pretty accurate in determining different continents. It's the sub-continental regions that are only really estimates and shouldn't be taken too literally. Also the idea that everyone is mixed - well, it may be true if you could go back far enough but within the time frame the ethnicity reports reflex, there are often people who come back 100% European or 100% African, etc.
Mine came back as .001 Chinese. The rest was German and Irish. I was told everyone's come back as either a very tiny part Chinese or African.

This was 23andme.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Mine came back as .001 Chinese. The rest was German and Irish. I was told everyone's come back as either a very tiny part Chinese or African.

This was 23andme.
No, that's not true. Anything under 1% is probably just noise and can be ignored, and possibly a lot of people do get noise - but to say every single person gets it, particularly in China or Africa is just not true.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,950,896 times
It's unlikely you're going to suddenly identify as multi-ethnic when you've always believed and lived as you are. You have no cultural ties to these other ethnicities. I identify as biracial-Black, which was how I was raised, my cultural upbringing, but can pass for "You've got something in you. You look exotic." I've never been mistaken or thought as white, but "mixed with something," most definitely.

My kids also identify as biracial, and they're 1/4 Black.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 6,360,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
In DNA test, "majority" rules.
If you are 60% European, you are Caucasian or White. Period.
If a person is 51% Black and 49% White, that person is Black. Period. Ask Condoleezza Rice about her DNA results.
What about someone who is 59% European, White or Black?
"58%, 57%, 56%, . . . "

Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM

634 posts, read 538,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
What about someone who is 59% European, White or Black?
"58%, 57%, 56%, . . . "
Someone who is 59% European is European or White
Anything above 51% is your race.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 PM

29 posts, read 16,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, that's not true. Anything under 1% is probably just noise and can be ignored, and possibly a lot of people do get noise - but to say every single person gets it, particularly in China or Africa is just not true.
Not true. What is this "everything below 2% is noice" hype anyway

I have 1.1% papuan in my myheritage estimate. I have an amazon native american ancestor 8/9 generations back. Amazon native americans cluster with oceanians and specifically papuans. So yes, it's misinterpret, but it's not noise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or