Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 07:46 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times

Advertisements

Theoretically, if you submitted your DNA to a site like My Heritage and they find a really close match to you....first cousin once removed. So you contact this person, and to find the relationship....and suppose you get back a note from the person, that they don't know....The person's parents had problems conceiving, so they used a donor. And the only thing she knows about the Donor is that they were a student or Professor in Palo Alto.
Since most of your family live in another state, and you only think of two or three possibilities, that it could remotely be...and you aren't even sure of that....what would you do? Send you cousins a note and ask about it...or try to help the new found cousin...or stay out of the whole situation?
Just call me curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Me personally... I would probably contact the possible donor and let them know. It's their choice whether to respond back or not.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
MyHeritage seems to think DNA relationships are closer than they really are. I would upload both raw data results to GEDmatch to get a more accurate idea of the distance of the relationship. You may be looking at relatives that are too close to you.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Theoretically, if you submitted your DNA to a site like My Heritage and they find a really close match to you....first cousin once removed. So you contact this person, and to find the relationship....and suppose you get back a note from the person, that they don't know....The person's parents had problems conceiving, so they used a donor. And the only thing she knows about the Donor is that they were a student or Professor in Palo Alto.
Since most of your family live in another state, and you only think of two or three possibilities, that it could remotely be...and you aren't even sure of that....what would you do? Send you cousins a note and ask about it...or try to help the new found cousin...or stay out of the whole situation?
Just call me curious.
If you don't know who the donor is, then you can't know for sure it's a 1st cousin once removed. That's only an estimate and on MyHeritage, they provide an estimated range, so it's possible this person is more distantly related than that. I have found they are overestimating relationships compared to other companies, so I'd be careful assuming they are as close as a 1st cousin once removed. That means the donor could be more distantly related from you as well.

Personally, I wouldn't ask any of my family members a question like that. Especially if you have a few options, and it's possible the donor is actually more distantly related to you than you think. That means getting at least 1 or 2 people you ask wrong, which means you've now revealed someone's private business to 1 or 2 other family members. I just don't think that's right. Maybe if you narrowed it down to one person and you're 90% sure it's them... but it sounds like there's still a lot of unknowns and variables and I don't think it would be right to go around asking multiple family members personal questions about one of them regarding something which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be confidential.

I would provide my tree for the match to make use of (living people privatized of course, as per genealogical standards)... if they manage to figure out who the donor was from that, great. I'm also not going to give this person contact info for family members - that's also something they'd have to track down on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy