U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 02:47 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,192,757 times

Advertisements

Anybody here with experience using both? I'd like to know which one is better since they are both priced comparably, and I don't wish to pay for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 03:05 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,249,333 times
Are you talking about the Newspapers.com portion of Ancestry?

The regular Ancestry has tons of records--census, birth, etc. They have some newspapers, but their extra-fee Newspapers.com has the majority of them.

GenealogyBank mostly has newspapers.

I subscribe to both sites. I use Ancestry for record searches and both the newspaper sites, although I tend to find more newspaper articles I need on Genealogy Bank.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 AM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times
They are only priced comparably if you're looking at paying monthly and getting Ancestry's cheapest subscription which only gives you access to their US records ($19.95 for genealogybank and $19.99 for Ancestry). If you pay annually, or semi-annually, genealogybank is much cheaper at only $65.95, whereas Ancestry is annually $189 for US Discovery, and semi-annually $99. If you need access to foreign records, Ancestry is even more expensive: $34.99-$44.99 monthly and $299-$389 annually.

However, Genealogybank is primarily a newspaper archive. They do have the Social Security Death Index and a couple other things, but mostly, it's just newspapers and obituaries. It is NOT a good resource for a comprehensive genealogy records database like Ancestry is. But Ancestry doesn't have much in the way of newspapers, which is why they bought Newspapers.com.

I subscribe to both Ancestry.com and Genealogybank - and Newspapers.com to boot. They all offer something the others don't have. Before subscribing to any newspaper archive though, check their list of collections - it is pointless to subscribe only to find out they don't carry any papers from the locations or time periods you're looking for.

If you're just starting out in genealogy, I recommend using FamilySearch.org to start - it's a very large resource, and it's all available for free.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM

9,285 posts, read 5,511,095 times
Ancestry is free if you go to a public library

Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 AM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Ancestry is free if you go to a public library
Assuming your local library has the library edition of Ancestry.com available - not all libraries provide it. Also be aware that using the library edition means you can't use/access your own Ancestry.com tree from there.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:52 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,192,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They are only priced comparably if you're looking at paying monthly and getting Ancestry's cheapest subscription which only gives you access to their US records ($19.95 for genealogybank and $19.99 for Ancestry). If you pay annually, or semi-annually, genealogybank is much cheaper at only $65.95, whereas Ancestry is annually $189 for US Discovery, and semi-annually $99. If you need access to foreign records, Ancestry is even more expensive: $34.99-$44.99 monthly and $299-$389 annually.

However, Genealogybank is primarily a newspaper archive. They do have the Social Security Death Index and a couple other things, but mostly, it's just newspapers and obituaries. It is NOT a good resource for a comprehensive genealogy records database like Ancestry is. But Ancestry doesn't have much in the way of newspapers, which is why they bought Newspapers.com.

I subscribe to both Ancestry.com and Genealogybank - and Newspapers.com to boot. They all offer something the others don't have. Before subscribing to any newspaper archive though, check their list of collections - it is pointless to subscribe only to find out they don't carry any papers from the locations or time periods you're looking for.

If you're just starting out in genealogy, I recommend using FamilySearch.org to start - it's a very large resource, and it's all available for free.
Good idea, I'll try that one, thanks!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:03 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,607,651 times
I'm a member of both. I would definitely choose Ancestry over genealogybank if it was either/or. Ancestry has so much more, plus you build your tree, link with other members, plus the DNA, etc.

Genealogybank is only good for looking up newspaper articles. Period. They have some "historical documents" but I've never found anything in them about my ancestors.

I keep my membership for Ancestry continuous, but I only join and re-join genealogybank once in a while. In between I save up a list of people I want to look up in newspapers. The I re-join genealogybank and look them all up. When I'm active on genealogybank, I always offer to do free lookups for people, to get my money's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or